HDMI Sound - Is it only stereo?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by apoc_reg, Nov 26, 2012.

1. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    hey Guys,

i have the latest beta drivers (310.61 x64) for my GTX 480 and recently hooked it up to my HDTV.

Used a DVI to HDMI adapter then a HDMI lead. My TV is then connected via a digital audio lead to my audo receiver.

My question is is it right that it will only send stereo sound via HDMI with the current Nvidia drivers?

When I enter the driver settings it only offers two channels, I cant change it to 5.1.

FYI using the TV's digital out for PS3, Xbox and Sky I still get full 5.1 sound.

Cheers for any guidance!

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Have you clicked "configure speakers" ?

3. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    I have and only offers two channels unfortunately.

Does anyone know if by using HDMI for audio on an nvidia card bypasses completely your soundcard (making it redundant)?

Thanks

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Under Sound > Playback devices you can set HDMI as default and it will play over HDMI, you could disable the onboard card from the same place if you want it completely disabled

(Right click the volume icon to find playback devices)

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I believe it's related to content protection or something, maybe?

Anyways, even if you output in stereo, you can get 'surround sound' using DTS Neo:6 or Prologic IIx etc (DTS Neo:6 I think sounds better). Sure it isn't ideal, but when you have something that is encoded in stereo (with the extra tracks encoded correctly on top of the stereo) you still have surround! I hope that makes sense.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Depends on the source; Movies Yes, Games No.

If it’s something like AC3 or DTS then yes it’s 5.1, if it’s PCM then your limited to stereo if you’re hooking it up to your TV as your TV

Not even sure if DTS will work as while most TV’s will pass-through AC3, not all support DTS.

If you want 5/7.1 for games then you would need a receiver that supports multichannel PCM over HDMI and then hook the card up to the receiver.

7. KGBKGB

KGBKGB Banned

GPU:
    GTX 660TI SC 2GB
    Im guessing its because you are using a DVI adapter.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012