HDMI audio switching problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by marcvampire, Feb 22, 2011.

1. marcvampire

marcvampire Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070
    AVR Audio Guard - HDMI audio switching problem fixed

[​IMG]
    Download at www.marcsapps.co.uk

AVR Audio Guard is a Windows program that fixes the "Silent Stream Bug" that​
    affects many owners of Audio Devices attached to A/V receivers, especially those​
    with Nvidia High Definition Audio devices on their Graphics card.

Formerly known as AVR Audio Switch Fix, I recently made huge changes to the​
    way the program works so that it is more responsive, less system intensive and​
    far more resilient. I felt that after effectively rewriting the entire program, since
    the code was all new, the name should be too.

So AVR Audio Guard was born, and you can find it on my new site:​
    If you like the program, or the site, please click the "Like" button in the top​
    right corner of the site to spread the word among your Facebook friends.

Please note: because the site is new, some over eager AV/Firewall products​
    will warn you that the downloads may be unsafe, but they are perfectly fine.​

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    strangely enough i dont really have this issue.

the only audio delay i have is when i undecoded audio to my receiver to decode. then it may take a second to realise what kind of stream it is before decoding.

3. Dcoz

Dcoz New Member

GPU:
    nVidia Asus GTX 560 Ti
    Big Thank You

Just registered to thank you. Works perfectly! Thanks for making my life just that bit more pleasant :infinity:

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I just switch the default device in sound manager when I want to switch over, hasn't given me any glitches.

5. marcvampire

marcvampire Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070
    updated the first post with a link to the newest version of the software, created yesterday.

6. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti 1950/21.3g
    Ah... Good ol' Silent Stream Bug. This is something i want to petition Nvidia to Fix after they support LOD adjustment for DX10+.

None of these silent wav file fixes work for me unfortunately. I've tried another fix and this one, and both after a few minutes start making a loud center channel clipping noise.

Maybe its my receiver, or its the way windows handles wav files embedded in applications like this, but all i do is use Zune (only 3% cpu is used compared to this program) with a silent 5.1 WMA file.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  7. CDJay

CDJay Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    I've found the silent stream bug is near-as-damn-it completely fixed for me using a GTX680, the 300.89 drivers, Windows 8 CP and in 7.1 over HDMI.

Which is a *massive* relief, as I used to have to have winamp run minimised/muted on startup which wasn't playing nice with Metro apps under W8.

CDJay

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Does this issue effect HDMI connections without using AVRs?

9. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

You mean, like if someone plugged the PC into a TV via HDMI and was just using the tv's speakers for audio?

10. marcvampire

marcvampire Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070
    i'll be releasing another version soon, which i've managed to make quite a few improvements to. Less than 10mb footprint, 0%~ cpu usage and uses a wasapi shared-mode stream that stays open without actually playing the wav on a loop so might fix your audio problem if you want to try something other than zune.

11. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti 1950/21.3g
    Cool, man. Ill definitely try it again because even though the zune way works, I still don't like how long it takes to load up at every startup.

12. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti 1950/21.3g
    no and I think its because it's only when the windows sound system is set for more than 2 channels, it needs to switch to LPCM which has more information to pass.

13. marcvampire

marcvampire Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070
    Sorry it's taken so long, but I've finally finished my site and finished the latest version of the software. I've updated post #1 with the relevant information, including the link [​IMG]

14. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti 1950/21.3g
    IT WORKS! You are awesome sir!... I will definitely donate once i get my next paycheck.

:cheers:

15. marcvampire

marcvampire Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070
    :) thanks, glad it worked for you!

16. assplats

assplats Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    Has anyone tried this?

go into your audio device properties, advanced and then uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device." This will force media center to decode the dolby signal and use Multi Channel PCM for everything.

I know this isn't ideal for all since your receiver doesn't show what the originating encoding was, but it's worked great for me.

Does anyone see any other downsides to this method?

17. marcvampire

marcvampire Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070
    doing that it isn't just being passed as pcm, it's being resampled as well, so unless you only use media which uses the same bitrate that your audio is set to, your receiver will not be playing the audio bit-perfect.

18. assplats

assplats Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    Thanks for the follow up. I'm sure Window's resampling algorithms edit: aren't the best--but it's worked decent in my experience. I'll have to give your program a shot, though. Thanks for the hard work!

Also, is any non-bitstreamed audio source being sent out at the sample specified in the audio panel (by default 44.1k 16bit)? If so, you only lose out on bitstreamed signal, since non-bitstreamed is resampled anyways.

Edit again: from what I was reading in that other thread (posted below), it looks as if Windows does a fine job resampling.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  19. assplats

assplats Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
  20. assplats

assplats Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    Reading that other thread (posted above), the users seem to think that Windows upsampling does a fine job. If that's the case, is it just easier to go the route of disabling exclusive mode (unless you have minute latency concerns)? I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing something major by doing it this way.

Also, I've found that Media Center behaves a lot better when you disable exclusive mode. With it on, it stutter at times when coming out of 1.5x fast forward (if you have your speakers set to anything but stereo in Windows audio). This is because it decodes the dobly signal and speeds it up to play with the fast forward, and then switches back to dolby again when you hit play. It then plays a 1 seconds audio loop for about 10 seconds and finally works.

With my GTX 680, I also get the error that Media Center couldn't find needed files, please restart. As soon as I disable exclusive mode, it works much better.

Although, and I think this is in my head, my rear speakers do seem a little louder when Media Center decodes the signal and sends PCM.