HDMI audio out

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PHJF, Sep 26, 2010.

1. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    So I got a GTX460 and plugged it into my TV via HDMI and noticed it automatically passes audio.

What exactly is going on under the hood? I figured I'd have to run a line to the GPU from my SPU or something. There are anomalies present, though. While both the TV and Windows are set to stereo sound, I've noticed that games seems to think I am running 5.1: sounds in front or behind me are muted and hard to hear, while left/right audio plays as normal. Also, Team Fortress 2 inexplicably passes NO audio through HDMI UNLESS I go into audio options and change the audio output from stereo to headphones/5.1/4 channel and back again. TF2 continues to pass audio through my Auzen Prelude's 3.5mm jacks, EVEN AFTER I've disabled the prelude from Windows' audio configuration.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The graphics card has an integrated HDMI audio chip....just like ATI cards have.

3. Alcom

Alcom Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 1gb
    You might want to decide on one or the other: HDMI Audio VS stereo from your sound card. I used stereo out to my HDTV in my media centre setup until I got my Radeon 5850 and went with a single HDMI cable. You can decide which one takes precedence and simply disable the other in the Device Manager.

4. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    I did disable the prelude. And TF2 still emits sound exclusively from the prelude.

And again, the fact that front/rear positional audio is entirely, obviously muddled over HDMI out makes me question its worth. Ultimately I'd like to use a couple of my z5300 speakers as Left/Right RCA Out from my TV so that my PS3/PC/TV all use those. Which is the current way I have it setup. If I could just figure out what's wrong with TF2 and the positional audio in PC games it'd be great. It's like the TV is being sent a 5.1 signal on the HDMI even though Windows Speaker Config is set to stereo.

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    did you check that in tf2's settings you had the output audio device set correctly? most games can have their audio set independently of windows.