HDMI audio issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Öhr, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT + Morpheus 2
    Again: I am using HDMI of my graphics card to output both video and audio to my TV. When using HDMI, the mainboards onboard audio (realtek) is NOT being used. There is just that one cable going from my PC to the TV. No realtek anywhere, okay?

Why the hell are you guys so focused on my onboard audio... Idfgi

P.s. ))))

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    When you use your graphic card's HDMI ports to stream audio, there's no soundcard required. You are using Windows for the interface controls and settings, and there's no optical either. HDMI is capable of outputting 8 channels of PCM audio, or any of the proprietary encoded streams, like Atmos. You can use the OEM's drivers, or MS supplied ones.

Realtek not required, nor is it used. You config windows for 7.1, or 5.1, and the games use the same settings.

3. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Because your explanation is hard to understand..... (not only me...but most of those who are looking for a solution to your problem) ;)....
    -----------------------------------------------
    LEt's clear things up:
    You are using:
    - AMD 5700 XT (with HDMI output to TV - [sound and video])
    ------------------------------------------------

Check this:
    youtube.com/watch?v=6EgEE4Dx2ck (comments)
    https://forum.level1techs.com/t/sound-through-navi-pops-and-crackles-and-cuts-out/148499
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116471-5700-xt-audio-cutting-out/
    -------------------------------------------------

One last setting that you can try from motherboard BIOS (if available):
    CHANGE PCIE to Gen3 instead of Gen4

Roll back driver to latest working

4. elaganza

elaganza Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    try to disable onboardcard in bios. see changes. as i said earler amd hdmi audio used rwaltek hdmi driver maybe they still use some of codes. maybe u get a conflict having two active sound cards in your system.
    and that's why we wished ti kniw how and what config and connection you have.))) p.s. by the way. Do u have on your LG TV a/v sync mode. Play with this settings.

Last edited: May 4, 2020

5. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT + Morpheus 2
    thank god im not alone! guess its a common issue that applies to all navi cards. maybe even previous models? not sure. anyway thanks for that! Ill contact amd about this issue with as much detail as possible. ill post updates in case I get

also I can confirm, that the issue disappears when I have a HIGH framerate running anywhere (not even on the tv when I have multiple displays enabled). I tested it with hl2 (or any source engine game really):
    Ran it in window and had some music playing in the background.
    I get 400fps+ with fps_max set to a big number. no audio issues here
    Now, when I limit it to 10fps, I get severe audio drop outs just like in the yt video. even at 100fps, I get this crap.

tv is running at 60Hz btw. video resolution, color depth, audio bit depth or audio frequency does NOT matter. they all behave the same.

I'm on X470 and a 2700X, so theres not Gen4 PCIe for me unfortunately. Also, according to GPU-Z, it sticks to Gen3 16x when running at 100fps, so likely not a modeswitch issue? tho ill see if i can somehow disable this power saving feature directly in the bios (already disabled in windows)

@elaganza: again, its not a realtek issue. also I dont have a receiver hooked up to my tv, just a very dumb stereo amplifier, so no a/v sync mode. also the issue also occurs when using the internal speakers, so its also not an optical audio output issue/my amplifiers fault.