HDMI 2.1 Unlimited.

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Knakajima, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Knakajima

Knakajima New Member

GPU:
    RTX4080 Laptop GPU
    I've just joined after finding out that my HDMI 42-inch monitor is crippled. I am still determining what the company gains from it, but it says something about how it reduces motion artifacts. I want to learn (newbie here) which monitor currently on the market that isn't $3,000 (none of HDR10 support only stuff) that has yet to be clipped and fully utilizes my RTX4080's HDMI 2.1 port. I am also keen on experiencing real HDR; so far, the only HDR that look good was when I saw a YouTube video on Google Chrome, chromium, or Edge. If I download and playback it on MPV, it looks white-washed or worse than an SDR download watched on the same monitor in SDR mode.
    My main question is if you could point out some model that isn't crippled. I heard that the LG C2 48-inch is good and That's the one to buy. However, I noticed a C3 48-inch has WebOS that wants to connect to the internet. The unit appears to have preinstalled all sorts of nasty things and looks like Amazon Firetv. I feel turned off. I want a big beautiful monitor that does HDR, not an entertainment center, as I do not watch TV or shows. I have no streaming service account.
    I am new, so any information about a unit would greatly help. And I thank you in advance.
    (I am sorry for a newbie asking a nonsense question. I have to know!).

2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    LG's C2 is solid. there is nothing even remotely close in price anywhere close in quality. the same panel can be found on Gigabyte Aorus' F048u, potentially for even less - plus it has a KVM switch, minus it has no hdtv tuner.
    the C3 is actually a smidge better but as you don't stream and you don't like WebOS (3.0) that's a pass.

if you can afford $1,000 - $1,200 there is the best large format monitor - the KTC G42P5. it has the brightest OLED display using LG's G series panel with MLA and it offers four HDMI 2.1 inputs and is monitor only (pick up a generic stand for $35)
    there is nothing remotely close to a OLED.

JAMVA likes this.
  3. Knakajima

Knakajima New Member

GPU:
    RTX4080 Laptop GPU
  4. Knakajima

Knakajima New Member

GPU:
    RTX4080 Laptop GPU
    Thank you for laughing with me. You figured out I went from Reddit and stopped here. G42P5 from KTC is the exact model I have. I got it for about $880 during 2nd Amazon Prime. I got an additional standup stand for $40. Both are from China. People told me to stop buying Chin e knockoff. I agree with you. C2 fits me, but C3 48 inches is the best price. It's only $199/mo x 5 with Amazon (not other credit scum), and that's doable while on SSDI without attracting unwanted attention. I looked for C2, but what's left is 55-60 inches.

I am sure you know, but KTC crippled G42P5. I am trying to figure out the reason. They said it would reduce artifacts. But they crippled HDM1 2.1 from 48 gigbits/s to 28gigbits/s. If I put G42P5 in 120mhz, it will not go into HDR. It has to be 8 bits. I cannot do HDR in 10 bits. I have to set it to 60 MHz or 30mhz. I was sure I used to get 138mhz when I got it first. It could be my old laptop with Gforce 1660Ti and 4800H AMD. I need my repair of the Asus Rog 16 strix scar to return to me soon.

tunejunky likes this.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    DisplayPort offers much faster data speeds than HDMI.

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    try an HDMI cable with a rating of UHBR 13.5 or 20 as this is likely the source of your issue.
    even better, use DP 2.1 as it's the widest bandwidth @ 80 Gbit/s
    your 1660Ti is incapable of driving this monitor beyond 4k 60Hz (for streaming/video)