HDD q? AHCI or IDE

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by izikog, Aug 29, 2007.

1. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    Ok my storage is nothing special no raid no nothing I just have a sigate 160 gb sata300, ncq, ppr hdd (win hdd) connected to the chipset controler and a maxtor 160 gb sata150 hdd connected to the jmicron controler. Now my question is will I see any performance boost if I set my segate hdd to AHCI???

Need quick replys as I am going to format and I want to set all things properly from the begining. tks

2. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 Ultra 425/1120
    Technically yes, but it really depends on what sort of data is going to and from your hard drive.

If you are using VERY large files, then it will make a noticeable difference. Windows will load slightly faster.

However, if you are using the PC mostly for games rather than prodessional video editing, then you won't notice much difference.

The difference interfaces allow data to be swapped faster but it won't change physical characterisitcs like how fast the hard drive spins, how quickly the heads can get to the data.

It's worth doing just for things loading and saving faster, but don't expect a huge performance boost in all areas. Just slightly faster loading and saving of very large files.