HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1 Dolby OR Sound Blaster X-Fi™ XtremeMusic

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by BornToBlast, Mar 8, 2006.

1. BornToBlast

BornToBlast New Member

Hi There..

i have a set of logitech z-680 and i am deciding on which or these two soundcards would be best for use with my speakers!

HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1 Dolby OR
    Sound Blaster X-Fi™ XtremeMusic

i am looking for best audio quality for movies and audio!

i understand that the X-Mystique out puts dolby digital live, will my z-680's work with this?

what do you guys rekon?

cheers

2. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280
    They are both equal. Why do I say that? One will suite some needs better than the other. Both will sound okay with your speakers.

3. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    The mystique is more for audio/video playback the x-fi for gameing

4. ¬69er

¬69er Master Guru

GPU:
    Ge5900Ultra
    The fact Plosion puts X in front of the name may already suggest they want to mimic X-Fi naming. It could be coincidence, but I do not quite believe in such coincidences. If that's true this can give you a clue what kind of product it is.

I think this is a me-too product from a copycat that changes its name every few months(once it was Bluegears, now it is Auzentech).
    This seems dodgy or at least not quite transparent.

Also, "Me-too" products have one thing in common: they just copy the surface but are unable to come close to original product functionality.
    (Who cares about Karaoke feature??? I care about gaming with headphones, and there is no HRTF implementation on X-Plosion DTS, for example)

Truely, Xplosion DTS Connect adds ONE feature that X-Fi does not have. i.e. ac3 encoding.

But this is done at the cost of:
    1) processing power
    2) low DAC quality
    3) opamps
    4) no real 24/96 support for recording
    5) lack of EAX HD
    6) relatively modest software bundle
    7) limited drivers support (no 64 bit version)
    8) lack of headphone surround mode

But everyone to their own tastes said old lady kissing a cow ;)

5. BornToBlast

BornToBlast New Member

so 69er you are saying you prefer the Creative??

6. ¬69er

¬69er Master Guru

GPU:
    Ge5900Ultra
    not in general. But in this comparison: YES.

Especially if you realize couple of things:

- Encoding makes sense only if you have receiver with higher quality DACs than DACs on your sound card. This is not the case with z5500, z680, or any other $300 or so digital speaker set if you use any proper sound card.

-Encoding matters only in games, as with all other sources you do not encode it into DDL or DTS - just pass it thru the card. That can be done on any card.

- Even Audigy cards can encode 5.1. surround game sound to ac3 but that is without sacryfizing EAX HD - if you do wish for such encoding despite points made above.

So Bear in mind this Xplosion is for sb who:
    1) plays games but at the same time does not want/need/deem essential EAX
    AND
    2) has high end receiver + very good hi-fi surround speakers and actually uses them for gaming.

I just do not think there are many such people out there, I do not know any, but if you one of them, yeah, go ahead, get yourself one, why not.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    First of the X-series cards were out LONG before the X-FI's..also they are not changing their name, that's the distributor. You have to look at sound cards objectivley. I can pick apart any card if I want. If you read the reviews these cards are getting high scores. I give people my opinions objectivley because thats what they want. Tell me how do you get a Audigy to encode AC-3 in games or music and send it over SPDIF...if you think it can be done you have been misinformed. EAX is only that. I have a Audigy 2 but I use KX drivers, so I have NO EAX, but I have better sound and thats all that matters to me..IF I had a digital set of speakers I would want to use a digital connection. We can bad mouth any card you put on here, have you actully read the specs on the X-fi..I have and I do understand them..they aren't exactly cutting edge. I have heard setups with less then great components sound incredible and I have heard setups using the latest gear that sound awful...there is alot more to getting good sound then what you decided to spend your money on. I believe in looking at a product objectivley...every card has it's strength's and weaknesses..they ALL do..just a thought..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  8. ¬69er

¬69er Master Guru

GPU:
    Ge5900Ultra
    X-Fi is simply put more versatile and more powerful then Xplosion.
    My PC is not an orphanage for all unwanted me-too hardware, I am not buying sth for just one, doubtful feature, do you?

I agree that looking at a product objectivley is a good thing.
    That's what I called objective criticism,
    which I provided with in previous posts and which I believe is one of the things we come for to this place.

Whoever came up first with letter X must have seen to much of certain TV series in the mid 90's, it is lame anyway:nerd: and if soundblaster has followed underdog then it is even lamer.

If you want to use digital to external DAC, any Chaintech av710, or Live 24 bit will do. For such setup spending money on proper sound card is unjustified waste / easy gain for PC hardware stores depending on your perspective.

Going analog from X-Fi to z680 makes more sense to me, at least, born2gasp

:nerd:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You really need to consider what your gonna be doing with the card. Your gonna hear different things from different people. As for the SB 24 bit, I tell people to return that to the store..it's software driven crap...all these different threads all talking about the same thing... There is a little more to that card than a "doubtful" feature. If you want to stick to one brand of card great. I won't be replacing my card with a X-fi..why? because it won't suite my needs...I have another card in mind. The AV710 BTW is only good for stereo...but your following the right path..

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The card the OP is refering to is the HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1, not the X-Plosion.

11. tweakboy

tweakboy Banned

GPU:
    ASUS AX800XTPE@550/1215Mhz
    If your into pc audio, and a gamer / music and dvd listener, then the best sound card out for this is Xi Fi

If your into pc audio, and a musician / gamer and music and dvd listener, then the best sound card for this is M-AUDIO revo series.

If you are into pc audio, but only a musician / no gaming or dvd's. then M-AUDIO audiophile series, or another pro company which give true 24/96 recording and playback.

Thank you

12. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280

LOL... i was wondering myself.

Thats okay, everyones a salesman and everyone wants to spend other peoples money.

13. ¬69er

¬69er Master Guru

GPU:
    Ge5900Ultra
    X-plosion or X-mystique there is not much difference between the two except for DTS Connect added to Dolby Digital Live. Thanks for pointing this out anyway

Cheap cards simply provide transport to the external DAC, that is why I suggested av710 or Live 24 bit. You do not need much software, ROBSCIX, to do that. Both are good enough for external DAC.

Once again: why do you want to use digital connection in the first place. What makes you think this is better for home audio setup?

Talking about sound quality of the sound card that uses encoding to pass signal tru to external digital to analog conversion is a misunderstanding.

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    once again a AV710 is only good in stereo mode. The SB Live 24 Bit is junk I never recommend those to people. I think this thread is about had it anyways. AS I said every card has it's strengths and weaknesses and it's up to the individual to compare specs and ask questions so they can figure out for themselves which card really fits into what they want to do....

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    24bit Live! = Audigy 1
    X-Fi > Audigy 4

Get the picture? If you love games and music(MP3/CD)/videos(DivX) get yourself X-Fi. I guarantee you that you won't be dissapointed or regret it.

If you're all about videos (DVD), external decoders and recording then check the X-Plosion. Though there is no coming back when you hear CMSS-3D Virtual/Surround and 24bit Crystalizer in action. It's unbeliaveble what it can do to MP3s and games (especially those pre EAX HD games), thats for sure :D

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Now you have me wanting a X-fi again. I must admit the specs are nice. I have heard nothing but great reviews..well now the got those first issue worked out. I actually saved the money to get one. I decided to get a M-audio delta 1010LT. I need the input for my mixer BUT I am thinking about the X-fi again thats about $130 cheaper than the M-audio I want..I think I have to get the Delta.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Hehe, tough decision for you since you need both. It was easy for me since i don't need external connectivity or recording.

18. g30pH

g30pH New Member

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 7800GTX 256MB 490/1270
    I have the Xmystique connected to my harmon kardon receiver w/ the optical cable. Everything sounds fine. I can watch ac3 encoded movies without and ac3 codec and I get the correct 5.1 sound. I don't care about EAX.

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    This card has EAX..just not the newest versions..I have been waiting to get impressions of this card from a actual owner..Can you tell us a little bit about it? sound quality, ease of use etc? I figured these cards would sound great...can you post some info for us guys have been curious about these cards for a while?

20. ASmokerz

ASmokerz Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 9800 PRO @ 405/715
    Looking @ the rigs u guys have for gaming u people dun even need a FPS boost from the Creative cards ... Just pick the one that sounds best . Personally i play Counter Strike competitively in clans ... i rather get an X-fi due to CMSS3D .

Gamers will love X-FIs (EAX , CMSS3D <<<< THIS IS WAY BETTER THEN ANY PROLOGIC or wadever upmix surround u can actually clearly define direction in games)
    DVD lovers will adore the X-FIs
    AUDIO nuts might and most probably would ... ( 24BIT crystalizer sound like a gimmick but it actaully makes ur music sound better for real hmmmm wonder why ... ? X-FI drivers allow very noob friendly adjustments to make things sound better =D)
    Producers wont like the X-FI