HD7970 worth it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by rayzorz, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus New Member

GPU:
    7970 Diamond
    Jus' tossing in my two cents. Ive had my 7970 for a bit now and have seen improvements w/ the drivers, no complaints here. Ive read that O/Cing a vanilla 7970 will bring it close to a ghz edition....and they OC well (Ive left mine at stock as no games are challenging my video card ATM).
    I upgraded from a 5870, I try to get a better bang for my buck and upgrade only when I see a substantial gain, your 580 is still a kick ass card...given MY budget, id wait for a next gen card but if you have money to blow a 680 is a tad faster and a 670 is about on par w/ the 7970. The 7970 oc'ed will bring you closer to 680 and speed past the 670. or just get the ghz edition

2. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    @rayzorz

Whenever it's worth it depends on how much money you have to spend. When money isn't an issue at all, why not? Otherwise I would probably rather wait for the next generation of cards, or better still consoles. Most games these days are either console ports made for long since outdated hardware or indie games which do not demand a lot when it comes to hardware.

My old card was a 3 years old 5850. The 7950 is more than twice as fast so in my case the upgrade was worth it.

3. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan X
    Both ATI and nVidia driver have bugs, just depends on if you can live with it.
    for example, the nVidia TRD bug in the past ( dunno if it fixed with the 6 series), and ATI DXVA/DXVA2 bug, and the dual monitor bug which fix in 12.6, and better check if you CPU will limit the performance of these new card.

4. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Active Member

GPU:
    MIS / 680 / 2GB SLI
    A lot of love for AMDs card. But if you frequent this and the AMD forums you'll see a lot of people have problems. For crossfire and multiscreen users I would say go NVidia, because having owned 2x 7970's and then 2x680's I can say for certain that NVidia's cards are workable where AMD's aren't (well that is unless you don't care about the image moving smoothly).

AMD has its issues but the issues with a single card and screen probably wont make you regret the purchase. Depends how sensitive to smooth frame rates you are, because alas the 7970 isn't very smooth in comparison to previous generations of AMD cards and alas in that regard is quite a lot worse than NVidia's cards. Personally I think smooth delivery of frames is critical but as you can see a lot of other people don't value it much at all.

5. rayzorz

rayzorz Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680
    I'll probably keep my card and OC it as far as it will go. There just isn't any other decent options right now it seems. Nvidia's offerings aren't good enough and AMD's drivers scares me.

The next "gen" is so far away though. :(

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  6. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    I was on the same boat, I had a GTX480OC(to almost the 580 speeds) and i upgrade to a HD7950(OC the core to 1150Mhz) and i get about 50-60% more performance than the GTX480OC. so yes it is worth it.

As far the driver issues I have played a lot of games and the only problem that I encounter so far is stuttering on skyrim(I temporarily fix it by limiting my fps to 57fps)

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    i have tried the 7950 on windows for a while...i just get new issue at each driver release (you know the "it solve there and broke something that was fine") Batman, Crysis 2, Oblivion, Shrim, all OpenGL stuff (wich is totaly unacceptable for an ATI product as ATI is part of it).

one day as i was fed up i have put the 7950 in my linux only computer (to replace an old ATI x800) and put a 480 (50€ second hand lol) in this computer. now both computer are happy. (btw linux ATI package that i use contain nearly no ATI code...).

8. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    As far as I can tell NVidia 6xx cards have more issues with smoothness than 79xx cards. Before the NV Forum went down so long ago there was a giant 60 pages or something thread about people complaining that the gameplay wasn't smooth at all with their new 6xx card(s).

So far the driver quality especially at lunch left much to be desired with this generation of cards. Neither camp did much better than the other.

9. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    That topic was solely dedicated to the vsync issue which has been resolved for most people. Some still have issues but according to ManuelG, nvidia is taking care of it. When the issue was still present, turning off vsync was a real joy. Yeah you get the tearing but the 6xx cards are smooth as butter.

At Hardocp, it has been mentionned in almost every review that although the 680 and 7970 were on par in almost every game, the reviewers felt that the 680 delivered a smoother experience. This is with vsync turned off! That's probably where BrightCandle got that from.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Just OC the piss out of your 580 it is still a very good card the only reason I could see to update your card would be to use less power. If all you need is just a bit more fps OC it if you need alot more 580's are cheap right now.

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    GTX 580 won't max out today's games at 1080p with 4xAA or more with even 2x supersampling.

SLI 580's will, not a single.

What you are saying here depends on the resolution played on.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    why not add another 580 on the cheap?

13. rayzorz

rayzorz Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680
    I don't really know where I could find one cheap. They're ~€350 which is just as much as an 7970 with a good aftermarket cooler or a reference 670.

I have looked at getting a used 580 but buying gpus etc. used seem really risky. The card can be dead, have heavy artifacting etc. and there's no way to tell.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There's used 580s on the fs/ft of this site periodically. Just make sure the seller is a trusted seller and ask for feedback. You should be fine

15. rayzorz

rayzorz Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680
    Not really a fan of sli either, I've used it before and it was mostly compatibility and driver issues. :(

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    second hand 580 's price is around 150€ (even if you can found lot lower price)... so for the price you can even goes triple-SLI if your board accept it...

about the problem you type about: make a test BEFORE to give the money :3eyes: it take around 10 min
    but generaly those GPU are very solid if it come from a good brand (EVGA, ASUS, MSI...).

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    those thing are mostly from the past :) hopefully NVidia and ATI (with crossfire) have learned a lot since those early period

18. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    Sorry, yet paying this much money for a new card and be stuck with either tearing or stuttering does not sound so great to me. There were a
    also people who at least claimed to notice the stuttering without vsync, in the end different people have different levels of visual perception after all.

19. main_shoby

main_shoby Maha Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Qnix 2710 96Hz
    580 SLI will put you around ~11k 3dmark11 points, which is better than GTX680 lol.
    think about this instead, If you sell your GTX580 for like 250$ add 250$ which you are planning to spend on another used GTX580 = $500 = New GTX680 / 7970 ($450).

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm well over 13,000 in 11