HD7850 - Can I increase overdrive limit?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by SmoTaN, May 22, 2012.

1. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    Hi,

I have ASUS HD7850 DCII and in AMD overdrive and in all apps including ASUS's own GPU Tweak the limit is the same and it's max 1050Mhz for the core.

The GPU can do 1050 easily without any voltage increase so is there any way to increase the maximum limit?

I remember with HD6950 there was a registry tweak that could increase the overdrive limits so I guess there should be some similar possibility?

Thanks.

2. k4sh

k4sh Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070 @ 2139-2152
    ASUS GPU Tweak has a checkbox to enable high range clocks.

3. Maximus7724

Maximus7724 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950 PCS+ @ 1150/1500
    MSI Afterburner

4. aufkrawall

aufkrawall Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC 2-Way SLI
    Maybe I'm blind, I can't find it.
    Could you tell me where exactly?
    Thanks.

5. k4sh

k4sh Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070 @ 2139-2152
    Not in front of my computer right now will help tonight if not found by yourself.

6. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    I also cannot find this setting in ASUS GPU Tweak, I'm using version 2.1.2.4. MSI Afterburner version 2.2.1 on the other hand does not support voltage tweaking for this card :(.

I don't understand why would ASUS implement voltage adjustment in GPU Tweak utility when this GPU can max the slider at 1050Mhz without any additional voltage! In my opinion they should have at least increased the max core limit a bit higher...

Well if anyone has any ide how to increase the limit (without breaking Powerplay functionality) please write, I see a lot of 3DMark results with 1200Mhz core so probably someone has already done this :).

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Install MSI Afterburner:

1. Right click on the desktop Afterburner icon and choose properties
    2. Add "-xcl" without the quotes to the end of the target line
    3. Save and exit
    4. Click on the newly modified shortcut to start Afterburner
    5. Message will appear stating that clocks have been extended and need to reboot
    6. Reboot and enjoy the newly extended clocks in CCC Overdrive Section

Should be able to use ASUS' tool to voltage tweek the card utilizing the new clocks.

8. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    Thanks, this worked and overdrive increased the limits for the core from 1050 to 1135 and for the memory from 1450 to 1575.

But unfortunately ASUS GPU tweak tool stil has the old limits!!! I'll try to reinstall it maybe that will fix it...

Edit: Reinstalling did not help still limited to 1050 :(.

Edit2: Weird but while checking again in the settings suddenly apeared a new setting "Increase overclocking range" and after clicking it now the limits are way higher - 1740 for the core and 2420 for the memory! I can swear this setting was not there before!!! Strange but anyhow issue solved, thanks to all for the help.

Last edited: May 23, 2012