HD7650a MXM Fan speed.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Smansoni, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Smansoni

Smansoni Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7650a
    Hello,

After upgrading to windows 8.1 (and reverting back to 8.0).The fan speed of my HD7650A is no longer being regulated. When ever it is active (it is a switchable graphics card) the fanspeed goes up to 6000rpm (which is the max speed). It used to be regulated and always hovered around 3000-4000. Any ideas on how to fix this. The errors started when upgrading to Win 8.1 but were not solved by reverting. Using Speedfan I can not lower the fan speed. Do you think this is software or hardware related?

Thanks for your suggestions.

2. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    Download latest official drivers from amd website. Uninstall ati catalyst, run driver sweeper and delete everything catalyst related. Then install the downloaded driver and see if problem persists. It's also possible that installing windows 8.1 forced ati driver uninstallation which would most likely cause 100% fan and reverting to 8 probably didn't install it back. If reinstalling driver helps I'm fairly sure that you can update to 8.1, reinstall drivers again and your computer will be working as it should.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  3. Smansoni

Smansoni Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7650a
    Cheers, I have tried similair approaches, even done fresh installs, but I'll do it once more now, so I'll be at a good starting position for other approaches/ideas.

4. Smansoni

Smansoni Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7650a
    Hello, when running the installer suite, it does not install drivers, just one 20mb pack called catalyst installation manager, but no actual drivers, does this indicate my hardware might be broken/not being properly detected?