HD5850 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DSK, Oct 8, 2009.

1. rone

rone Member Guru

Grey squares (like 10x10 pixels) are bad. On my PC, 1-2 seconds after them and ATI driver recovery comes. Grey squares are overclock dependable.

2. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    I suggest you just put the fan on 100% regardless of whatever temperatures readings you may be seeing right now and see if you still get artifacts

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    i get the small grey squares too( its chequered ) if i go above 980 on the core or 2200 on the mem, i usually have to reboot but it recovers sometimes.

4. rone

rone Member Guru

Are you running Windows XP. Vista/7 have TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) so they can detect when video hardware is giving grey squares and then reload driver with stock clock. It is convenient, because there is no need to restart the PC. Although there are false-positive TDR events in Vista/7. Some clarification can be found on AMD site.

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    i lol'd how my i7 only got like half a frame more per second :grin:

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    kylzer: When I changed my cpu from 3.2 to 3.6GHz I gained 0.5 fps so it seems very gpu dependent ;)

rone: I'm running vista64. The problem with gpu recovery is that once you get the grey squares and the driver resets, those squares will still be there in the game until I restart pc not matter what I set the clock to. But at least it let's me shutdown properly so it's an ok feature I guess.

I'll try overclocking again when 9.11 comes out, hopefully it'll be more stable then. Some other post here said it would be out mid-november.

7. jedm33

jedm33 New Member

GPU:
    Power Color HD5850
    Hi guys, I just can't seem to get my hd5850 clocks to 900/1250 @ 1.2v my screen freezes when I set it in amd gpu tool, is there a problem with the power output in my pcie slot? my motherboard doesn't have an option to increase pcie power and i think its the cause of the instablility.

8. jedm33

jedm33 New Member

GPU:
    Power Color HD5850
    ohh my bad, finally I got it to work lolx, i forgot to bump up the voltage first in after burner before cranking up the clocks in gpu tool...how stupid of me lolx

[​IMG]

9. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Yes, they said that the HD5850 can reach 5870 clocks with enough juice in the OC process, but whether or not you can do that on stock cooling, that's got me worried about taking it too far. I've been leaving the GPU on stock for now, and hoping for the best when the OC factor is needed. Plus Sapphire is a bit picky about how far you can take your OC'ing, on top of that, so I'll have to see what's covered under their warranty.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I find the stock cooler is excellent apart from the noise, mine at 980/1215 doesnt go over 69C on full load for 20 mins with the fan at 100%

11. Immped

Immped New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTS 640MB
    I will be receiving my 5850 this week. This will break a long string of Nvidia only products, I've bought Nvidia since AGP came out. It appears that only ATI has been actively improving their graphics engine so I am hoping I'll be making the right choice.

Anyways; I have a question in regards to bridging sound. I am wondering whether anyone here knows if it is possible to make a connection from a sound card into the 5850 in order to utilize the HDMI signal? I have an Auzentech Prelude which has features which I would still like to use.

Would you know the type of connector I would need if this is possible?

12. rone

rone Member Guru

You have to lower CPU overclock or run it on stock speeds.

13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    no connectors would be needed. ati > nvidia in this regard. since ati first started creating hdmi solutions, they integrated a realtek 7.1 sound card onto their graphics card. which means you dont need to route a cable from your soundcard to your graphics card, because theres already 7.1 surround sound audio coming outta the hdmi.

14. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    For BluRay movies you must use the onboard soundcard of the 5850, for HD .mkv's you can use the Prelude no problem. For BluRays you need a HDMI pass through card( i think the latest Azuntech supports this but its only out the past 2 months and is very expensive )

15. Ertard

Ertard Member Guru

GPU:
    560 Ti @ 880/2200
    Still no news on aftermarket coolers for 5850? Getting tired of the jet engine.

16. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev.2

I put Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev.2 + 2*92 NB 1500prm fans on my 5850 flashed to unlocked 5870 card, and now temps are not hitting 50* and with 1.22v i've got a game and 3dmark stable frequencies of 1010/5400
    [​IMG]
    Cheers to all ...

17. anamericangod

anamericangod Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 SOC 1GB
    Damn, really? Everything I had been reading spoke of how quiet (and cool) the card ran. That's disappointing to hear.

18. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    I finally picked up an ati 5850 last Thursday before they hiked the prices!!!

19. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    sapphire have a vapor-x version of the 5870, so it wont be long till a 5850 vapor-x edition comes out, or so we hope.

20. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Unlocked to HD5870?