1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD5000 Series : GSOD - Grey Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by SamT, Jul 11, 2010.

1. SamT

SamT New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 5850 1gb
    i wonder why this important problem of some of Radeon HD5000 Series cards doesn't have a thread in this site (or maybe i couldn't find it)

it has a 100+ page thread in AMD forum :
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messagev...24747&STARTPAGE=102&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

a lot of people complain about this but still no official solution.

for those of you who don't know about GSOD :
    when you are playing a game with one of this cards (ones which have problem) suddenly the graphic card stops responding to the Catalyst driver, and the screen shows a color stripe page (black, blue, yellow, etc) and then the game crashes.
    if you are lucky enough to survive the crash without restarting the pc , windows shows a dialog which says "display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

i myself have bought a Sapphire Toxic HD5850 which has this problem and i cant play any game with it.

so , because AMD doesn't respond to this problem and hasn't done a single thing for solving this problem (even now, after months) , anyone who has experienced this problem , please share your knowledge

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Whoa, thanks for sharing. My next upgrade was going to be a 5 series, but after seeing a 102 page post about the problem then I might have to pass.

3. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 sniper
    been ages since i saw a gsod post
    most problems have been fixed tho

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Maybe you just have a defective card?

5. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    old thing is old ...this thread have been started on december 09.. if you search you will find thread here with that problem... Just i have never heard again about this GSOD till some months. and the thread is surely on the xxxx pages here.

But i have only one advice, RMA the cards who have this problem... I still don't understand why peoples want to keep a card defective.

One day it could be interessant to try see what brand, and what date they was manufactured for see if it was specific to some brand ( low quality PWM modules ?)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  6. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    So far I've learned that it's not just HW issue, but a more complicated one including some flaws in chip architecture and its usage by driver. Long story short, if your system recovers after GSOD with aforementioned message without rebooting, it's 100% software problem, no guarantee that another gpu will work better. Your only hope is that AMD will introduce a proper driver fix as they did with HW-accelereated x264 video artifacts in MPC-HC. They were here for almost a year no natter what, and with 10.6 they're gone forever, just as mentioned in release notes.

I myself is a good example of this - I have this issue popping up from time to time, but only on system boot. Windows logo -> Welcome screen -> GSOD -> welcome screen still here-> system boots ok. Sometimes it goes off just after Welcome screen disappears. But no matter what, it always recovers and never happens afterwards, and I am able to play\work\watch video with no issues. Probably it's cold bug related, because room heat\increased 2d clocks reduce the chance of that for me.

7. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    An unstable OC is another thing that can cause a GSOD, I think.
    Well, my card is an HD4k series, so no problems here. :3

8. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    Only time my card experienced this was when I was OC it with not enough voltage, using MSI Afterburner.
    Since upping the Voltage I have not seen this again.

Check Your PSU as well
    If that is not Your issue, then might be time to RMA it