HD4350 slows my computer to a crawl

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by angryrabbit, Jun 11, 2013.

1. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
  2. angryrabbit

angryrabbit Member

GPU:
    HD 4350 1gig
    ok its on what should i do next?

3. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270X 4GB
    As I was saying it might be your VGA BIOS because your rig came with an NVIDIA card, so its most likely to have an NVIDIA BIOS which is not fully compatible with your new card, with that said,
    if your machine lags even during Windows installation then it must be something outside the drivers which leads me to think that its the BIOS.Bioses can be updated by downloading a BIOS for your specific card, they are all over the internet but you have to choose one for your specific model. Google ATI 4350 BIOS and you will see what i mean:)
    Did you try GPUZ and CPUZ utilities as well? Post a screen shot of both if you can,nm I just saw that you did.
    If its a VGA BIOS issue then I strongly advice you against Flashing it yourself unless you make a Recovery Disk/USB Flash to start with, then you should read up on how to do it because its complicated, something like one little typo might end up bricking(killing) your computer forever.

You could save yourself the headache and put back your old card, just saying ....:)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270X 4GB
    Weird thing about your screenshot is that instead of running at 16x its running only at 8x : See the Bus interface on the right. It should be maxed at 16X as well, this could be your bottleneck.

Do you have a setting for SLI in Bios?make sure you have SLI disabled in BIOS because it tends to choke it at 8x.
    If TURBO USB 3.0 and SATA3.0 settings exist disable them as well.
    When you placed the card into your machine which slot did you put it in? The card should be in the top slot, nearest to the cpu socket., try swapping slots.

5. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
  6. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270X 4GB
    Use the update utility for updating your bios and other drivers, few precautions though:
    Donot Unplug the machine or interfere with process when it has started doing its thing.

You have plenty of stuff to try to fix this, get busy..., let me know how it turned out.

7. meatloaf2

meatloaf2 Member

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 2GB
    This probably isn't it, but have you tried reseating the card? If you don't know what that means, basically just take it out and plug it back in the PCI-E slot. It might be worth trying to put it in the other PCI-E slot, although that is less likely to fix it than just reseating it (assuming it's in the correct slot to begin with).

I noticed it was running in x8 mode on the PCI-E, try setting it to x16, I honestly can't remember how or where, so google it maybe. One thing though, it could be a power saving thing, my GPU decreases it's link speed when idle, and it could be the same for you, although less likely considering how old it is. And, I honestly doubt an x8 link width is going to make any difference whatsoever on that card, besides maybe a bug that is revealing itself due to that, however unlikely.

Another thing you could try before flashing the BIOS on the card, maybe see if you can downclock it, that might help if the temps are high, and might even make it more stable regardless of temps, don't clock it too low, maybe 50Mhz lower to start, maybe even 25Mhz lower. Just brainstorming here.

I don't think the lag is due to the inability of the card itself, but maybe it was damaged in some way during the transfer process?

Anyway, good luck getting this sorted.

EDIT:

As an addition, if this doesn't work out, what budget would you have for a new card? Does it need to be passively cooled, low profile, or any other requirements? I'm sure some of us could find a cheap and decent, more modern replacement if there is no other choice.

EDIT 2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102882

I took the liberty of doing a newegg lookup and, this is tied as the cheapest card with many others, all are similar, and you might want to shop around a bit to see if something else meets your exact demands. $30 isn't too shabby though. There are much much better alternatives for slightly higher prices, but I assume you have specific needs if you are trying to get a 4350 to work. The linked to 5450 offers a half decent upgrade over the 4350 and it's fanless as well, the 2.1 PCI-E should be compatible with your 1.1 as far as I know, and $30 isn't a huge investment.

8. angryrabbit

angryrabbit Member

GPU:
    HD 4350 1gig
    The system was a custom build about 10 years old or so. there is only 1 pci-e slot on the MB. I forgot to mention the HD4350 video card came from a premade HP computer(about 2 years old). Could this be the problem? i ddint buy this HD4350 card from the store, i just pull it out of a HP elite system. i will try to do the suggested and get back with results . Thanks everyone.

9. angryrabbit

angryrabbit Member

GPU:
    HD 4350 1gig
    will this work on Asus Motherboard? there is a note saying utility Update only for MSI Mainboard Utility Only. Also would it be safer trying to update the video card BIOS board first to see if it fix it? I am assuming flashing video card bios is alot safer then flashing the motherboard right? thanks

10. angryrabbit

angryrabbit Member

GPU:
    HD 4350 1gig
    This is actually the second time i tried to put this card in this system. last time i did it i got the same result (major slowing) but last time i just reuse the 7900gt. i believe the card is seated properly. yeah getting another card was my plan B if nothing elses work but the only worry is if i have the same result even after buying another video card lol

11. angryrabbit

angryrabbit Member

GPU:
    HD 4350 1gig
    i tried to use the GPU-Z to save the BIOS but got a message" this device does not support bios reading" i try to find a solution seems like i have to use the older version of GPU-Z but that didnt work either got the same message. Should i use the msi update anyway or is my card not compatible since its from a prebuilt HP computer? thanks

12. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    You should try to use the Msi Update tool. Manufacturers such as HP mix and match components to meet a certain requirement (Price).

13. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270X 4GB
    Check your BIOS PCIe bus settings you may need to set it manually to x16 if it's on Auto detect.
    It seems like the autoupdate tool is a safer option than manually flashing the VGA bios.If you are brave enough:) give it a try.

14. angryrabbit

angryrabbit Member

GPU:
    HD 4350 1gig
  15. angryrabbit

angryrabbit Member

GPU:
    HD 4350 1gig
    in my BIOS i changed the hypertransport configuration from auto to 16bit

rebooted and ran gcpu-z showing the same 8gb/s bandwidth. i hope that was the setting in bios as it was the only one with 8bit/16bit/auto options

thankss

16. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270X 4GB
    Did you check the bios for the PCIE settings? Try setting it manually, its worth a try. EDIT: scratch that I see you tried.

If decide you are going to Flash the BIOS make sure you secure yourself by creating a Crisis Recovery Disk for your bios just in-case you brick it you will be able to unbrick it with that disk. There are tutorials to do that.http://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/phoenix-bios-recovery/

lol I have bricked my bios a few times when I was learning so I know the disk is a life saver:)

17. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Yea, avoid those, they are not for your graphic card and if installed there is a very high chance that it will render your Gpu useless. Try installing one of the Legacy Modded Drivers.

Follow This Link it's currently the Latest.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4616689&postcount=1399

If that fails, perform a bios update for your motherboard.
    Follow the Link Below to see the available bios for your Motherboard
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/downloadTag/Asus+A8S-X

18. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270X 4GB
    To begin with, you need to find out your actual motherboard name and then search for an exact match. I suggest using the asus downloads to get things right.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=M4A78LT-M LE&os=22

They have good instructions on how to install their bioses.

One thing to remember is that your Asus Bios and your VGA bios "rom" are 2 different things, which may need to be installed separately.

Here is a tutorial for how to flash your Asus-A8s-X bios http://www.manualslib.com/manual/409759/Asus-A8s-X.html?page=37

Told you its complicated, its your call bro... you could try this or slip the Nvidia card back in :bang:
    Good Luck!!!!

19. angryrabbit

angryrabbit Member

GPU:
    HD 4350 1gig
    I totally see what you mean this seems to get more and more dangerous the further i go lol. i believe i should try to flash the video card first (being way less risky) before i touch the motherboard. worst case is i ruin a video card .
    I was using GPU-Z to save the bios rom but got a message this device does not support bios saving (something like that). I googled for a solution and was told to tried one of the older versions of gpu-z but that didnt work for me i got the same message.

do you have any ideas how else i can save the rom file?

20. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270X 4GB
    check out the tools you can use.
    This one can save your vga bios and flash as well all in one.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/34/images/atiwinflash.gif
    Read this manual the tools are also listed : below there is a dropdown written "page" "Thats where all the info and tools are"
    http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/vidcard/34/9

Here is another tutorial to avoid tunnel vision.
    http://www.bjorn3d.com/2010/05/flashing-your-video-cards-gpu-bios/

Hope this will set you on the right road.