1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sohaib

sohaib Member Guru

GPU:
    built in x300(x2)
    aoa
    guys i want a hd lcd for enthiusast level game playing on my 8600gts for under 170us $ help want one badly
    and can u clear what is dvi and hdmi and which one is better in case of video i dont give a damn about audio

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 GZ
    LCD Monitors come in multiple different sizes and resolution. HD comes from the resolution that the monitor is capable of. For example a 1680x1050 monitor can support 1280x720 (720P) while other monitors that support higher resolutions (1920 x 1080) can go 1080P etc... So mostly all LCD monitors are capable of supporting HD just depends on how high.

I'm assuming you're looking for a gaming monitor? If so there are a few I can recommend for that budget:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254035 Hanns G - 22" supports 720P resolutions, has built in speakers, 5ms response.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009145 Acer - 22" supports 720P resolutions, 5ms response.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112009 Sceptre - 22" supports 1080P, has built in speakers, 2ms response, mixed user reviews on image clarity.

All three have DVI but neither has HDMI. HDMI is for high def purposes. It's like having component cables (red, green, blue) with the audio cables (red, white) all in one. DVI/VGA are primarily computer monitor inputs. You will see a better image quality in DVI/HDMI vs VGA but DVI doesn't have audio which if the monitor/video card supported this you can have audio/visual through the monitor.

Since both DVI and HDMI outputs a Digital signal, there will be no difference in image quality. If you're looking specifically for a 1080P screen with HDMI then you'll be looking into spending $199+ range. You can click [here] for those listings.

3. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    your 8600GTS wont be able to handle 1080p resolution unless you play old games. get a 720p res and it will be a lot easier to find a quality monitor in your price range that wont cripple your gfx.

also, HDMI connections send the SAME EXACT video signal as DVI connections, but they ALSO send the audio signal. DVI is only video, so you would only need a DVI hookup in this case.

4. sohaib

sohaib Member Guru

GPU:
    built in x300(x2)
    thanks alot guys for your help so u mean to say that dvi and hdmi dont have any video difference i mean quality wise so it will be cool but these monitors im looking at like samsung it has resolution of 1440x900 and 2ms response time and it looks hot but my old dell crt m92 goes to 1200x1600 resolution on my current rig with 8600gts so that wha wories me cause this smoothens the graphics abit so what do u say about this matter in this case should i go for the samsung or get any other lcd plz reply i have to get it tomorrow

5. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 GZ
    Yeah there really is no difference in video quality because its the same source. Samsungs are known to have good LCD monitor/tv sets. So now you have to decide what monitor size you will use and with that comes the resolutions. The monitor size is 1440x900 because its widescreen, as long as you use the native resolution of your monitor with your video/graphic settings you should see normal/smoothness in graphics and you will see a noticeable difference going from CRT -> LCD in both brightness and crisp clarity and less strain on your eyes :). As for resolution size if you want to go for that monitor size then go for it. Most 20-22" are 1680x1050 native and anything above 24+ are usually 1920 x 1200. Are you looking into buying a 19" LCD?

6. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    max resolution "default" of your crt has 1600x1200 but you get 1920x1200 still in your crt. :D you do not get lcd-hd because all lcd's have still problem w/ effect of "motion blur". but NEW OLED (succeed lcd/plasma) will release in this year! :)

I have crt 21" samsung 1100DF (max resolution custom 2560x1920@56Hz but for only vista o_O :D) and I love too my crt and oled only!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  7. sohaib

sohaib Member Guru

GPU:
    built in x300(x2)
    Thanks guys
    how do u increase resolution i have directx10 on xp sp3 and it shows max of 1200x1600 res on graphic properties at 85hz(optimal 70) plus samsung has 1440x900 res so can i get more on a 19inch the acer has one with i guess 1680x1050 res on 19 inch and it costs less than samsung but aint available in my country the sansung im talking about is 933bw or 932bw which one do u guys thin is best pllus it is that i have xbox and i also want to hook it up to hdmi port which is not pon the samsung screen what would u guys suggest but it will mainly for the pc gaming on my 8600gts and 19 inch is good i guess 22 inch is too big but still what do u guys suggest

8. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    that is exactly correct, DVI and HDMI have zero vid quality discrepancy.

well, you shouldnt try to run a res higher than the LCDs native supported res, especially because the LCDs native is usually its max also. if running a slightly lower widescreen resolution (1440x900) is going to bother you, and you want more pixels, then look for, say, another samsung model (i love samsung personally, cant go wrong with them IMO), or any other brand if you want of course, that goes slightly higher (1680x1050 maybe?) natively. i would hesitate to get a 1900x1200 or 1900x1080 res monitor with your gfx card though, like i said earlier. you'd see some nasty bottlenecking, and you would go outside your budget easily.

GL with your purchase sir, hope that helped

::edit::

was typing that while you posted. i dont understand, are you asking for a model recommendation, or something else?

9. sohaib

sohaib Member Guru

GPU:
    built in x300(x2)
  10. sohaib

sohaib Member Guru

GPU:
    built in x300(x2)
    Yes i was asking for a model unfortunately not much of them are availabe here where i live so ihave to be specific my crt as i said is a 1200x1600 and i will pay 200$ for a lcd which cant even go beyond that by the way it is 19inch and the lcd i want will be 19 inch as well
    only two things
    best image quality(hd dvi/hdmi)
    highest resolution possible
    regards

11. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 GZ
    I would go with the Samsung 933BW. Its 1440x900 via DVI but if you use a DVI->HDMI adapter you can hook your 360 and get resolution of 1920x1080. The contrast ratio and response time of the monitor is good enough for your gaming.

12. sohaib

sohaib Member Guru

GPU:
    built in x300(x2)
    Thanks uz7
    just wanna ask well it wont effect my lcd to damage or anything as ive heard
    plus the adper is just a cable right
    can i get same resolution or atleas 1200x1600 with my pc
    plz reply thanks

13. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 GZ
    Nah the monitor fully supports 1080P resolution via HDMI, not sure if it goes the same with PC resolutions but I hear people with them are able to do so w/ their 360s. More info [here] User reviews: [here] (read comments)

You will need an adapter like this one here:
    [​IMG]
    Your video card may have come with one if not you may need to purchase one separately.

Nah you wont have the same high resolution as your old monitor and you will be most likely stuck on 60Hz, but you shouldn't worry about that. Even though the resolution is lower the image quality will be bumped up by a lot. I know when I went from a 17" CRT -> 17" LCD for the first time was a sure experience :).

1440x900 will be your new resolution if you choose to purchase that monitor and it will be in widescreen.

14. sohaib

sohaib Member Guru

GPU:
    built in x300(x2)
    neither the lcd nor the gfx has the hdmi port bth if i buy this 933bw will have dvi ports so what to do and is that an okay resolution for playin latest games like rysis far cry(1440x900)
    regards

15. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    WARNING: you have add resolution custom for your crt. you do NOT get lcd!!!!!
    you go nvidia cp after uncheck "hide modes" display proprites-windows:
    1- click "manager custom resolutions"
    2- add new resolution, digit 1920x1200 and 60Hz and click "test".
    3- click "yes" and change resolution to 1920x1200. good luck! ;)

16. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 GZ
    Yes the 933BW only has DVI/VGA ports so you have to get the adapter if you want to use HDMI w/ your 360 (if you don't want to purchase a 360 VGA HD Cable). As for Crysis and FarCry depends on your video card. If it ran good on your old monitor at that resolution most likely you will have about the same in performance. You would most likely be playing it in medium settings.

17. sohaib

sohaib Member Guru

GPU:
    built in x300(x2)
    i couldnt understand that test and stuff to my resolution od 1920x1200 i dint get a word of it.so you mean that i can get my lcd to run at those levels or something or what plz explain
    and uz7 crysis works quie good on my crt but it was at 1200x1600 so what now should i drop the resolution first then install the lcd or will lcd hang on o it itself and what refresh rate should i use

18. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 GZ
    It should auto detect your new monitor but I guess it doesn't hurt to put it down as well. The refresh rate is usually 60Hz (75Hz if it supports it) much lower than CRTs but you don't need that high of a refresh rate anyways.

19. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    after test w/ success during "manager custom resolutions", click "change resolution", select 1920x1200@60Hz, click "apply" and click "yes".

note: sorry for bad english. ;)