HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    The flickers are less because the card is running slower.
    But it's not related to clock speed.

I've set my card to 300 mhz in COD Black Ops and it still does it (even with the RAM downclocked to 500 mhz). But it doesn't happen immediately on the load of a level. Seems to take around 30 seconds or so...

The problem is MUCH less frequent in 12.5b in Black Ops.

VRM's and GPU is quite cool.

2. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    I have some very interesting news to report.

First, to answer your question:
    I have significantly more flickering in GTA4 using 12.6, that is the only game I have played where there is flickering in 12.6.
    In GTA, the flickering actually decreases if I use 12.9 beta.
    Therefore, I get opposite results with this game than I do with train simulator.

Civ 5 is another game I have been playing, and it works perfectly regardless of the driver I am using.

Now on to the interesting part,

I managed to get my hands on a second MSI 7950 Twin Frozr, identical in every way to my card, and tested it in my system.

Edit: Ok I lied a little, the new card is based on the 7970 PCB (8 pin instead of 6 pin), but that has little to do with the results.

I saw the exact same results with both cards, in all games that I tested it on.
    The driver is only variable that makes any noticeable difference.

I tested with both 12.9 and 12.6, and each card was tested individually(not as a crossfire configuration), minutes from each other.
    In fact, the cards were physically removed from the system, so I managed to keep all of the control variables.

Same results.

This is further proof, that RMAing the card will not help the situation.
    I have to believe that AMD has an idea that this issue exists, because it is so very obvious.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  3. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx

That is indeed interessting although i already knew that before you posted it. I can confirm the same thing.
    I even tested 4 DIFFERENT 7850 versions. Powercolor, 2x Sapphire and Club3d all cards had the same issues in the same games. I even tested underclocking with all of them which didn't change a thing either.

The first two times i just thought (because of the issue) that the card is broken so i RMAd them. On card 3 (same issue) the fan was noisy/broken = RMA. So now im on my forth card with the same issue.
    I own the same PC 2 times and tested all of them in both PCs now guess what?... Same Issue, of course.

4. AntiBaby

AntiBaby Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr

5. d.B.

d.B. Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    I know that the issue is usually rather random. However, it also does seem to depend on the game. If someone can find a game where it is possible to reliably reproduce exactly these types of artifacts consistently we might be able to get it fixed, assuming it is not a problem with the hardware.

Even better is if someone can find exactly what sequence of commands trigger the problem. For instance if someone can write a small sample with OpenGL or DirectX that will trigger these strange artifacts then AMD will have to respond to the problem.

6. AntiBaby

AntiBaby Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr
    I can always reproduce the artifacts in Tribes: Ascend when using Catalyst 12.8. With only about a half hour of playtime, I can consistently spot about 5-10 artifacts each and every time I try that game. That's why I chose to use Tribes Ascend when I made my artifact demonstration video.

I tend to play on Crossfire (roam map practice) as Infiltrator when looking for artifacts. But, the map and class used does not make any noticeable difference in the number of artifacts.

7. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    I doubt that. Otherwise drivers wouldn't change a thing or the problem should be more frequent. I did 3 Bios Updates already and they didn't seem to "thouch" the issue.
    In starcraft there is flickering in the rankings (just wait a while) but not in the menu itself which is strange since it is the same screen. That makes me think that the issue is sitting in the drivers.

**Edit**
    Also the Video he shows with a simelar issue did got fixed by a new computer, not by getting a new mobo like he claims + that video is 6 years old.
    His desktop flickering may have something to do with too low 2d clocks. I also had such a card in my "3times RMA Tour".

I for my part think, that everyone has this flickering people who say that they don't have it may overlock it or didn't try the "right" games yet.

**Edit2**
    I did check the ranking flickering in Starcraft 2 again.
    I really think that could lead us to the right track. Because there is no flickering on the Menu itself, if you open up the rankings which are on the same screen there will be some kind of flickering. That flickering appears in "intervals" If you go back to the normal screen again the flickering is gone.
    It somehow seems like there is some kind of "refreshing" is gooing on which is causing the flickering. Maybe it can be somehow related to the screen-refreshrate?
    Or it looks a bit like it did back in the old days when icq was blinking while you played.. It also gave you some kind of in-game flickering back there..

8. tetris

tetris New Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7970
    Any idea if they fixed this in 12.9? I have to stick with 12.5beta because of this, really sad... :/

9. AntiBaby

AntiBaby Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr
    Regarding the post I linked from Sapphire forums: I'm really inclined to agree that it is, indeed, a driver issue and that it's not caused by dodgy motherboards. Still, I'm hoping he will follow through and post an update once he gets a replacement motherboard. If a new motherboard doesn't solve his flickering, then it will at least be further confirmation that it's either the graphics card itself, or drivers.

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Hmm, and I just ordered a 7850 too. Guess I'll have to see if I experience any flickering issues or not.

11. tyns

tyns Guest

GPU:
    Visiontek 7970 3GB
    Video you are referring to is:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1894519/glitches.mp4

I have a gigabyte UD5H in the mail coming hopefully next week. The problem is that I also may be returning the 7970 for RMA as well just to make sure.

I would just like to restate that the problem exists when I pull the card completely out as well.. and uninstall all catalyst drivers. I use the integrated HD4000 in the 3770K. I ran through a lot of testing over the last couple weeks with both visiontek and intel. After showing them the video and going through many driver iterations, Visiontek wrote me:

email 1 : When was the last time you updated the BIOS and chipset driver for your system? If you have, can you tell us the release dates for those
    updates?

email 2: Would you be able to try this card on another system just to verify whether the problem is with the card or the system? We have seen similar problems with glitches caused by the motherboard.

email 3: Based on what we have seen, it was more of a problem with the motherboard and not a BIOS issue on the motherboard.

I tried a lot of configurations. After pulling the 7970 out of the machine and reset the bios I tried individual sticks of my ram in the machine (i have 4X8) Each stick exhibited the same issue. I ran memtests over night. everything checked out fine. But Heaven would still glitch. Curiously though, if I put ram in only channels 3/4, none in 1/2 ... Heaven did not glitch "as much". Could be coincidence

Remember we may not all have the same troubles. But no matter which driver version I used.. I had the heaven glitches to varying degrees. Also remember that each driver version most likely tightens the drivers to handle instructions more efficiently... You will not always experience the glitch the same way with each driver version possibly.

I have no idea the exact cause.. But I am inclined to believe it is mother board related due to the integrated GPU having a similar glitch. I have a friend that runs heaven flawlessly with a EVGA 670.

The Intel support basically said that he is sure it is not CPU related because the glitch happens with both GPU and CPU.

This machines is a work machine for me, I don't play games too often. But I first noticed the problem when randomly I would get a screen glitch using windows. The screen would flicker for less than a second. Not sure if any of you experience this as well? My display is 2560X1600. If I run kombustor 3D tests full screen or windowed I get 3 flickers when it first starts.. then it seems to run fine. So frustrating because I ADORE the 7970's OpenCL and OpenGL for my work software. It is so darn fast! I would hate to have to go to the 670.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1894519/IMG_0157.MP4

While the integrated GPU can't process as much as a full blown Discrete card, It is difficult to catch the glitches due to the low FPS. I assume the chances of it occurring are less do to the low frame rate. But I recorded a few minutes and can show you similar texture pops. There was a moment I didn't catch where the screen flashed a well.

I mean, it is possible that Heaven Benchmark is just buggy? But others seem to run Heaven perfectly. No idea.

Here is the a sample of the integrated GPU glitches as well:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1894519/IMG_0161.MP4

12. tyns

tyns Guest

GPU:
    Visiontek 7970 3GB
    Sorry, just would like to add.. I am curious as to what chipset people are running. I am on Z77 with Ivy Bridge. This seems to be current/popular issue and I wonder if there may be some type of flaw in the Chipset/Ivy Bridge? Just speculating of course. I am obviously using Ivy Bridge 3770K with a Z77 Intel DZ77RE-75K Motherboard.

13. AntiBaby

AntiBaby Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr
    Something that I find interesting, is that despite all the artifacts in various games and Unigine Heaven, I've never seen artifacts in Furmark, or MSI Kombustor. OCCT runs with zero errors as well.

Also, I was able to completely eliminate artifacts in Unigine Heaven when using Catalyst 12.6. Despite the similarities, there are enough differences to make me wonder if the problem you're experiencing is the same as the one that's been discussed on this thread.

14. Derko1

Derko1 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080s
    I have all the same issues described in this thread with the 6 different 7970s I've had. I've RMA'd them twice and stayed with the ones I have right now, because they overclocked the best.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

For me with the newer drivers, it's gotten better. But I am experiencing this constantly on a daily basis...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8erBOaOBck&feature=player_detailpage

15. tyns

tyns Guest

GPU:
    Visiontek 7970 3GB
    I only get the 3 glitches in Kombustor with that particular test. Before I reformatted I used to have to have the windows theme set to Aero before I got the glitches. Furmark seems to run fine as well for me. I have gone through so many drivers and tests that I can't recall how one was better than the other if at all. Again, the glitches are random in heaven. They seem to happen most at the Dragon circle pan shot. I just hope it comes to a close shortly. Despite these issues, the card is so bloody fast and my system really does move along nicely for work!

I definitely could have a completely different issue. Just putting out an observation from my experiences in case anyone else may be having the same problem. The games I have played, I haven't really noticed any glitches. But I haven't played too much, might try for a bit tonight.

Good Luck Guys! I'll let you know how I make out.

16. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    I think latest heaven version has a few glitchers at the dragon circle pan that will shows up on every graphics card. A few black artifacts. Seen them on gtx580 as well. The videos above has more artifacs though that I have not seen on any of my systemes.

I do not get artifacts in MSI Kombuster 2.3 with 12.6. Have not tested with any other driver. Sticking with 12.6 for now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  17. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    That flickering problem in GTA4 is just GTA4. I have had that since my 4850. I am however experiencing weird flickering in maplestory or when I play a game and clocks are less than 3d.

18. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    I believe something specific is triggering the issue. Unigine is like a game, while Fumark and similar programs aren't as complicated.

I'd like to mention something different, incidentally... When I bought the card, months ago, I had similar black artifacts/lines appearing on Battlefield 3, while now I don't see them anymore. I remember more people were reporting those black lines on BF3. Now I tried to check it carefully, and I'm not pretty sure that nothing strange is going on... It's like I have a very subtle blink, but kinda white and happens much less.

BF3 runs without the problem on you? I don't say I have the same as in Borderlands... But not so noticeable... I'm trying to figure out, that's why I'm asking...

And most importantly... Why Catalyst Developers haven't mention anything about ( or have they? )

P.S. There's a BIOS update for Gigabyte WindForce, but for the cards which use Hynix memory. It's not for my card and I'm wondering if there's any connection... Anyone updated his card ( F21-F29 & F41-F49 categories, I'm in F1-F9 category )

19. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    TBH i think thats a good point that this is an driver issue. AMD knows that this kind of tools are used quite often especially by testing pages. AMD also knows that BF3 is played a lot right now and many people even buy their GPU just for that game. What i want to say is that it seems like the "big new games" hardly have any issues.. while the "lil older" and forgotten" games often flicker.

Why does sleeping dogs work without flickering? Why BF3? Why Syndicate and all this "AMD Games" as well? Those are quite GPU-Intense games shouldn't they show any issue? I just think that the driver is working bad for a lot games and that they have prioritys what games should run well.
    For example TF2 runs fine here, while Black Mesa Source and Portal 2 had very rare flickering(you may even play through without seeing it once). Why? It's the same Engine. I think it's because TF2 is played more than the "old" Portal 2 and Black Mesa is just a Mod so people may blame them and not AMD..

from my expierience Very OLD games like UT99 or Quake 3 will run just fine, same as very NEW games. The most problems are games in the very middle with small communities.
    I just think they may have some prioritys and that games like Q3 are so old that they already fixed any bugs for that engine what may be the reason why there is no flickering in this old games. AMD now seem to care more about the new games like bf3 while the very middle seems a bit forgotten..

But of course could be a coincidence and it's just speculation..

20. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    I have updated my windforce 7970 card to the F2 BIOS. Not sure if my card uses Hynix memory but the BIOS update did not reduce the flicker.