HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. AntiBaby

AntiBaby Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr
    Certainly. My last four GPUs over several years (including the 7850) have been AMD/ATI. All without any major issues. I've consistently been impressed and satisfied with what they have to offer.

If it wasn't for these artifacts, the 7850 would have been one of the more satisfying cards I've ever purchased.

I could give AMD the benefit of the doubt and wait it out to see if the situation significantly improves. The 12.9 betas have, indeed, shown some improvement. But the GTX660 is a direct and immediate alternative to the 7850 that would provide an easy and not too inconvenient path away from this problem.

The nature of this problem does seem a bit dodgy since there does appear to be plenty of satisfied 7xxx owners who are not affected by these artifacts. That's something that's really been making me question what's behind all this.

2. velocityx

velocityx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    mine flickers with this set too, and i dont have a 7xxx series. i went back to 12.8 and no problems.

3. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Problem is who cares about what games? Many people may just not play the games with the issue or do not care because it is so rarly. So we'll never know. For my part (i already said it multiple times) i tested 4 different 7850 on 2 different PC's all had the same Issue in the same games, so i really doubt that there is any form of Hardware issue.
    I just think this problem is beeing ignored. And it seems like many peoples just play the newest games and beeing happy if they run well (and they do as far as i can tell).
    Im pissed about that Driver politics and i wrote AMD so often about that issue (today also). I don't get any feedback so far, not even a small hint.

I can't tell you how annoyed and tired i am about searching forums, posting links, makeing videos, RMA cards, testing different PCs, and repeating the things i alrady tried.

You'll just get the same kind of help again and again (im not blaming people who try to help, don't get me wrong).
    You'll getting asked if you oc, if your bios is up to date, if your ram-timings are correct, what driver you tested, if there are rests of drivers on your system, if you already rma'd the card, if you tried giving it more volts, less clockrate or if your PSU is to weak.. And after you tell the people that you already tried all of that the thread will just die after some days and start rotting on page 20 OR some users who don't share your poblem but haveing some simelar issue will hijack your thread and spam it with their issue.
    I try to not care so much (about the flicker issue) anymore. But still it is like trying to ignore that someone is spitting in your face every 2 days..
    Im about to give up.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. asciikode

asciikode Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    Add me to this list.
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB

"Black Triangle" Flickering in GTA 4, Train Simulator 2013 on Catalyst 12.9

12.6 minimizes the flickering in TS2013.

12.9 minimizes the flicking in GTA4 if I turn the core clock down to 800. (from 880)

5. acereborn

acereborn Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    After much work I managed to get a working new BIOS on my 7970 again, after it died during a BIOS update.
    With the new graphiccard BIOS it might flicker a bit less in Witcher 2 with 12.9, and the flicker looks a bit different in Skyrim.
    Too bad that the bios update did not make the flicker go away though. :(

6. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
  7. acereborn

acereborn Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    It looks similar, but I think it might have some white flickers also.

8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    That flicker in that video is exactly what you see in COD Black Ops.

If you use the 12.5 drivers or the direct3D files for 12.5 in the COD folder, the flickering is MUCH less (much less frequent) but the levels also load about 3 times slower (assuming they are already precached).

COD4 doesn't show any of this.

Someone mentioned something about "texture streaming" which was first used in MW2/BO, etc, which would explain why COD4 wasn't affected. But Battlefield 3 (I think) uses some sort of streaming, but Battlefield 3 is artifact free.

Path of Exile shows rare flickers, too. Is that also a texture streamed game?

9. asciikode

asciikode Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    I had a chance to watch all of the videos, especially the Tribes one, and I can say with certainty that this is exactly the issue I am seeing with my MSI 7950 Twin Frozr OC.

I also have Ivy Bridge PCI 3.0.

I have managed to minimize the issue in Train Simulator by reverting to 12.6.
    It happens maybe once an hour instead of 2 or 3 times a minute like on 12.7+.

I have tried playing around with overclock settings on afterburner, but it does not seem to make a difference.

I have played through the intro of Skyrim, but did not see the issue at all.
    I might try to get a video to night for confirmation if I have time.

This has to be a driver issue, because changing drivers is the only variable any of us have used that causes any change.

AMD Report submitted.

10. acereborn

acereborn Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    In Skyrim I get flicker only in certian locations, typically outdoors and close to a river.

For example; there are two bridges close to Honningbrew Meadery outside Whiterun. Standing on the bridge closest to the mountains and look downstreams always gives me some flickers after a while. Maybe one or two flickers every 5 min.

11. asciikode

asciikode Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    I also cross posted to the thread in the AMD forums. The best way to get any action is for people to realize that they are no alone when it comes to this issue.

I think as more and more people start picking up 7900 series cards, the issue will get bigger.

Edit: I'd cross post to the HardOCP forums as well, but I am still waiting for account confirmation.

Are we more likely to be heard by important people if we move the discussion to the AMD forum?

12. acereborn

acereborn Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    I did some more testing with skyrim and the flicker looks different with 12.6 compared to 12.9 on my "flicker-test-spot".
    With 12.9 it was mostly the water that flickered.
    In 12.6 the flicker was more random and all over the screen, and most of the flickers appeared as the camera started to spin around, as it does when you stand idle for too long. When the camera had spun around a few times the flicker was gone.

13. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1718916 there is already a thread about that issue. In the AMD Forums as well.

14. asciikode

asciikode Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    Here is what my 7950 looks on Catalyst 12.9, on Train Simulator 2013.
    http://youtu.be/RScSvhVRSfk?hd=1

With 12.6, there are no artifacts at all.

Edit: For reference, I have included a video of the same area in 12.6.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTHW-oTdhXY

I also sent these videos to the game developers, because I think they are pretty telling. Maybe they can pressure AMD somehow.

15. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    +1 For the strange shadow map bug.

• Team Fortress 2; shadows appear where there shouldn't be any. Very rare - but happens usually in the same generic place. Stage 1 Dustbowl tunnel entry.
    • Test Drive Unlimited 2; Shadows flash on rare occasions!
    • UT3; ugh what's this? Uninstall.
    • Xbmc; Yep wtf? I installed dharma build and it reproduces those funky artefacts from the OP's YouTube links. All because I used the elipsis skin!

Memtest reports no errors. I've under-clocked/over-clocked. I have a windforce card and it's very chilly.

I suspect drivers or BIOS... but drivers is the one I'd put my money on. :3eyes:

16. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 SUPER
    I'm beginning to think that the problem might be at our M/B's side... Asrock/Asus pretty much the same...

ASUS lately released 2 BIOS, but likely they haven't done it correctly...

Incidentally, the same problem on Borderlands 2.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  17. acereborn

acereborn Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    I have tested my card in my older i920 system, which does not have an Asus or Asrock MB, and the flickers were still there.

18. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 SUPER
    O.K. then...

I've been playing 1 hour with lower clocks ( 700Mhz core / 1000Mhz Mem ), and I can safely say it does it much less. Damn it... I think it's kinda more serious than I'd like to think about...

Fortunately, Gigabyte has 3 years warranty. I'll keep it 1-2 set of drivers more and then I'll send it back for replacement or better another card ( nvidia ).

19. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx

Nice Post. Because it also gives hope as you say that the game is artifactfree with 12.6 what sounds like an Driver Issue. Do you have any flickering in any game with 12.6?

If you have starcraft 2. Start it and go to the rankings and wait.. it will flickering from time to time. Its exactly the same as your video just not that extreme.
    The Game itself seem to be nearly flickerfree with the recent drivers (which means it got better) but still not 100%.

May be an coincidence. When i changed my PSU everything was fine for the whole day.. And i thought "yay it's gone" then it happend again.. So i was putting in my old PSU again.. Now the problem sometimes is gone for a whole week. It is just random. If it's not random for you it may be a different issue.

Thats the Problem with this "bug". It looks very simelar to other issues like to high clockrate and stuff like that.
    But here i get the same amount of flickering on all the 3 Cards i tested (since i RMA'd 2 of them). Downclocking to the very bottom didn't change a thing. It even looks like that overclocking kinda reduces the issue sometimes..
    But in fact it is just RANDOM.

The only strange thing seems to be that you people seem to have the flickering much more often than i do. As i said i can play hours without having it and then "BOOM! there it is!" and it will be gone again for 2 maybe 3 Days. That may be related becausee your cards produce higher framerates. Maybe thats a factor like More frames = More flickering.

I wrote Asrock about that issue also, they even gave me a beta uefi for more GPU support. Didn't help.

20. acereborn

acereborn Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    I have tried lower clocks but I don't think it reduced the flicker %. It might reduce the amount of shown flicker frames, but it also outputs fewer frames.