HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    well the leaked beta doesn't fix any of the issues here. I doubt that the official one does.

2. Gizmo

Gizmo Member Guru

GPU:
    Post from AMD's product marketing manager (Robert Hallock A.K.A Thracks) over at
    Overclock.net on this issue.....

http://www.overclock.net/t/1351650/...amds-radar-the-dx9-artifacts/50#post_19112534

Seems AMD think this is a rare thing and there having problems nailing it down.......

http://www.overclock.net/t/1351650/...amds-radar-the-dx9-artifacts/20#post_19101257

Im gonna join up atm OC.net once i get home and add my voice to let them know its not as rare as they think,i suggest everyone here that has these problems do the same.

3. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
  4. Offler2

Offler2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Frame limiters and normal "render ahead" values are crucial for optimal 3d engine operations. However game developers are sometimes "Counterstrike freaks" who believe that to run game smoothly you need 100+FPS and everything has to run as fast as possible.

Better way is to help sychronize CPU and GPU, and its needed to start from game engine level. That is what that mod does.

As was stated in previous articles on techreport AMD developers thougt that modern games have such mechanism. Its certain that they dont.

For example each DX9 3dengine has Vsync enabled unless otherwise stated in game code. ALL game developers are disabling this by default.

5. Real_GM

Real_GM New Member

GPU:
    Visiontek 290 X3
    I've been playing a lot of Borderlands 2 and have been experiencing Flicker after I updated to 13.1 or 13.2 beta.

When I revert back to 12.11b11, the flicker was gone.

I have an XFX 7850 core

6. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    My girlfriends Mainboard is broken. So i will test my graphics card on a nother 3rd mainboard next week. We'll see if it happens there also. If so it must be a issue by the graphics card alone and not be related to other hardware.

7. TheBomb

TheBomb New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950 3GB
    After 3 day of despair trying to fix my Skyrim artifact I think I finally found a satisfactory setup to nail them down as much as possible. (after uncountable trial and error)

I'm using 13.2 leaked driver, which by itself was already an improvement over 13.1 for skyrim artifact.

Then I read someone saying to put Skyrim Anti-Aliasing game setting to 2x and enable Supersampling in CCC.

13.2 driver in combination with SSAAx2 fixed 99% of artifact I had and on the very rare ocassion that I did see artifact, it happened so fast that it was barely noticable.

I also tried SSAAx4 but the artifact started to show up again. ENB was also a no-go, 60fps > fancyness anyway.

SSAAx2 seems to be the sweet spot for me.

I was getting really disappointed in the purchase of my HD7950 (beast card on paper) but now im starting to have faith again :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  8. crz

crz Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Offler2 mentioned he found a flicker spot in Skyrim in Ivarstead so I managed to find it too (or maybe it is another one).

Here are two corrupted frames with what seem to be triangles with the waterfall texture:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is how it is supposed to look:
    [​IMG]

Just like Offler2 I was able to save at the flicker spot and it allows me to reproduce it just by loading the game. Just like the previous case of Tropico 4, driver version and OS do not seem to matter.

While screwing around with various settings I found out that on Low and Medium presets it wasn't present but it would show up on High and Ultra. After playing around with individual settings I found out that if "Object detail fade" is unchecked under Skyrim Launcher, Options, Advanced, View Distance the flicker is present. If "Object detail fade" is checked, it is not present. Now I don't play Skyrim anymore but maybe somebody who plays can test this and confirm if it solves the problem completely or just in this particular case.

Since Chivalry Medieval Warfare is free to play this weekend here are some bonus pictures, first the corrupted frame:
    [​IMG]
    And the next frame:
    [​IMG]

9. srbo

srbo Member

GPU:
    4Gig
    Hi guys, i noticed glitches in 2d Modes. Did you disable ULSP and Powerplay? I I I I disabled it and it seems that i fixed the problems.

10. Niserox

Niserox New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950
    Sup guys, so I've been monitoring this thread for a while now since I just recently got a 7950. I think I might've fixed it (at least for myself).

Some things I did were;

1. Changed the DVI to VGA adapter to a different one and tightened it a bit more. I was using the one from the box which came with the card (because it looked nicer). Swapped it out with my old white one.

2. Installed 13.1 drivers, forced 4x Tesselation and forced Super-Sampling AA 4xEQ for all games (I used to use application settings with Adaptive AA). Disabled Edge-Detect. Turned off AA in every game so that CCC forces it.

3. Set the 2D clocks from 300/150 to 350/500. Turned down the memory clock from 1250 (default) to 1200 and increased core clock from 925 to 1005. Put on 20% more power setting.

4. Uninstalled CAP2.

5. Turned off Hardware Acceleration for Flash Player. Doesn't make your card go into high performance mode.

Overall I haven't seen a flicker on DX9 games. I've tested it for about... 7 hours and so far so good. Dishonored used to flicker by the water sometimes and at random and I was playing it for a good 2 hours without seeing a SINGLE one. DotA2 seemed to flicker (although it was very rare) but I haven't seen one in 3 matches. Also Path of Exile used to sometimes in town or when in storage and hasn't done it either.

So I THINK I might've fixed my problem. Maybe try it out for you guys and report back. I think AA and the AA Method is a fairly large cause of the problem. Will report back if anything changes. I also want to try out these 13.2 drivers soon.

11. Offler2

Offler2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    To crz:
    For me worked Supersampling setting for that exact issue in Skyrim.

12. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    I'm just going to repeat what I said on OCN.

13. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    it doesn't really change anyhting for me. I guess it's just a workaround anyway the problem itself is not fixed. I just hope AMD works on a real fix and not just a workaround for some games.

14. Offler2

Offler2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    I did a lot of things to my system.

Mainly i uninstalled all Microsoft visual C++ packages. Then I reinstalled the driver manually, and...

Jerky shadows fixed
    white flickering on flickerspot in ivarstead fixed

But it will be pointless... Release of 13.2beta announced on today.

15. abollo

abollo Member

GPU:
    HD7970
    Prince of Persia stll flickers. I try some others games now

16. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 12gb
    Ok, so after installing the official 13.2 betas, I fired up the Saboteur which was giving me artifacts like crazy with the 13.1's and to a lesser extent in the 12.11 betas, and voila, no artifacts. I drove around Paris like a mad man trying to find hotspots but couldn't find any. I honestly can't believe it. I hope it's fixed it in other games, I guess reports will start to come in soon. Right now I'm a happy camper.

17. Offler2

Offler2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Civilization 4
    Black flickering - Not observed in quick, but intensive 30 minute gameplay

Skyrim:
    Black flickerspot - nothing at all
    White flickerspot - fixed previously (2 hours ago). vcredist packages removed, last WHQL reinstalled. 13.2beta 3 installed. and white flickerspot is clear
    "Facial flicker" also known as "skin flicker" when game character fades out/in. Still present

Witcher 2 EE:
    No type of flickering observed. (black, white, transparency)
    Flickering which was observed is also present with different cards.

World of Tanks:
    No flickering observed yet. "Battle starts" however is still blinking. Have to re-test with different GPU.

To be tested:
    Starcraft II

I will keep my final verdict to the future, but... the main problem seems to be fixed.

18. acereborn

acereborn Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    No flicker in Skyrim for me so far with 13.2 beta3.

19. abollo

abollo Member

GPU:
    HD7970
    f... and after 1 hour black flickering in NFS HP with 13.2 BETA3

:puke2:

I try Euro Truck Simulator 2 now.

...but its so hard to reproduce. I mean i could play 24 hours each dx9c game without flickering with 12.11

...on another day after 5 minuts flickering in game A or B or C, lol

Sry for my english.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  20. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    thats the point. Im pissed by it. Even if it would happen only once in a week i would hate it. It happend too long so my eyes are HUNTING this artifacts like a crazy.