HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Guys, I have a question,
    and the rest of you, stop asking about the heatsink contact! It's already been PROVEN this happens on EVERY single card.....

Someone mentioned this earlier, so I tested it, and sure enough, the black flickers in COD Black Ops seem to all but stop completely, if you enable SuperSampling AA! But with adaptive AA or regular AA, black flickers, and quite often.

You get close to the same cure if you copy the 12.5b direct3d driver files into the game folder, where you can use Adaptive or regular AA now with very, very few flickers (some maps/spots dont show any at all, where it's flicker city on 12.7's-12.11's).

So why does Supersampling seem to fix the flickers? And why does it happen if AA is *NOT* enabled, as well as with adaptive and normal AA?

Could this be some sort of filtering bug?

And from what I recall, supersampling is even more RAM intensive..so that seems to throw the defective RAM issue out the window, does it not? Seems to point directly to a driver problem?

(Note copying the 12.5b's into the serious sam 3 folder did not resolve the flickers in that game (didn't try SSAA, though, with that). But turning on supersampling and using the 12.11's did seem to stop the black flickering.

So...what's going on, guys? It's clear that supersampling is doing something different...

(And again, like usual, there are no flickers in Battlefield 3, regardless of settings...has anyone seen any flickers in BF3 in any driver?)

Someone above threw out a theory, that the flickers happen in games that use texture ******ing, which MW2 and MW3 and Black Ops all use, but which is *NOT* used in COD4 (MW). But he also said that he thought Battlefield 3 (with its huge Vram usage) also uses ******ed textures....but what exactly IS texture ******ing? Does BF3 actually use ******ed textures, or not? And if this is proven to be a texture ******ed game bug, why does it happen if you are sitting in 1 spot and not moving at all?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Here's some friendly advice for you. Stop attacking people who offer advice in this thread. This is a pretty big thread, so excuse me if someone offered something similar. This isn't the 1st time you made an "off handed remark" once someone provided their input.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4406070&postcount=16
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4407998&postcount=42

If you don't like the idea of someone offering their input in this thread then perhaps you need to continue to add to your ignore list. :)

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Who peed in your cornflakes this morning?
    We're trying to get a GAME BREAKING Bug fixed here, and we need to stop with the 'card overheating' drama. If you cant offer anything constructive to say, to add any information that I very carefully put into my post (so others can try to come to a conclusion for AMD to fix), then please, don't post at all. Better yet, why don't you add ME to your ignore list, instead of trolling me with your toxic attitude? Bye.

4. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    @Eastcoasthandle

You are aware that starting to mess with the heatsink will void your warranty right? Not a good idea in case of a card with obvious issues that might require making use of that warranty in the future.

@Falkentyne

That might be the case with Black Ops, yet I ALWAYS played Skyrim with Supersampling enabled and still had artefacts. Skyrim leaves little choice in the matter since normal MSAA does not work on a lot of things like the vegetation for example and adaptive AA is buggy in Skyrim (issues like invisible water, candles and other things not being visible).

5. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    If there aren't any physical restrictions preventing you from removing the heatsink then why not look for yourself. People have been doing that for years.

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Just to add:

12.11b4's, Heaven benchmark, 0xAA, and 8xAA......no flickers whatsoever
    (except the dragon wing area which happens on my Geforce 570M in exactly the same position, so that's clearly an engine issue).

We need to get some information on Str`eam`ed (why is this word filtered?) textures", find out if Battlefield 3 or The Witcher 2 uses them, and what Supersampling AA is doing to affect this....

7. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    I do not know if I have already posted this in one of the related HD7xxx flicker/artifact threads but yes Supersample AA stop flickers, black triangles etc in Skyrim.

Only thing is it's so taxing on the fps.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Causing trouble again I see....no surprises there.

You don't own the forum buddy so stop trying to order everyone around. A little more respect for others and a lot less attitude would do you well. ;)

9. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    Because it voids the warranty and it isn't my job to make things work I just bought as new and supposedly working. I don't mind building things and experimenting with parts, yet doing that with new and expensive hardware is a very bad idea. The right thing to do in such a case is making use of your warranty and let those people that are paid for it fix the problem, not try to do it yourself and in the end mess something up and be stuck with a faulty product you can't return any longer. My money does not grow on trees so I try not to throw it away needlessly. Since the ****ty € it already seems to be less worth with each new month.

10. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I assume you are doing this through CCC? If so what were the settings before you used SSAA?

If you are that upset why don't you try to get a refund or just rma and sell the card. My suggestion is for those who have commonly examined and/or remove the heatsink from their video cards before. As long as there is nothing physically preventing them to do so on the card itself that relates to a warranty.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

11. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Yes I am doing this through CCC.
    I was using MSAA before.
    I have also tried Adaptive AA which also shows the same graphical glitches in results in Skyrim.

Since using the 7870 I have not made any changes to the CCC from default besides setting VSYNC to always on unless application specifies.

12. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    If you disable all AA in game does it stop? Disable AA in game and from CCC.

13. asciikode

asciikode Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    Ok, lets get this thread back on track.

I have had two identical cards, heatsinks were seated perfectly, and my temps were nice and cool.

The issue generally happens instantly, so it's not something that gets worse as temps build up.
    Thank you for the suggestions, but I am relatively certain that this is not a physical issue.

Both cards that I tested were identical (other than the fact that one of them was on the 7970 PCB).
    Both symptoms were identical when using the same driver.
    This is not a random issue, I believe that it is strictly software.

Also, I have tried supersampling in my games but it had no effect. Anyone else have any better luck?
    This would be a bandaid rather than a fix, but the results are worth noting.

14. acereborn

acereborn Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    Forcing SSAA in CCC did not remove flicker in skyrim or witcher 2 with 12.11 for me, but as I wrote earlier it did work in COD-Black ops when I tested with older driver.

15. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    You mean the error scan? I've ran it for 3 hours and it finds no errors in fullscreen, but the system only uses less than 200MB VRAM so hardly everything can be tested. But if you run Skyrim, then it can easily eat up almost all RAM, and that game does have these errors no matter which driver is used.

I should also add, that even Batman Arkham City has errors, although they are not as frequent.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You can change the amount of vram it uses...or did you do that already?

[​IMG]

17. Pixelhant3r

Pixelhant3r Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB OC
    Just adding to the other people,

I tried Skyrim with Supersample with 12.10 or 12.11 (don't remember which ones)

The flickering without Supersample was intense at those driver versions

With Supersample there was either no flickering at all or something very minimal.

18. michaels

michaels Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7970
    is it safe to install latest application profiles with old drivers 12.6 becouse 12.6 fix alot of flickering problems in most of my games like skyrim and witcher 2

19. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB

:3eyes: Can it be that the issue reacts differently on different systems? Because I also noticed no improvement with SSAA in Skyrim.

20. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    No, because I didn't use the beta. Have now;
    http://i.imgur.com/eKd33.jpg
    It seems ok...