HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. AntiBaby

AntiBaby Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr
    I had a Sapphire 7850 OC that exhibited momentary artifacts. I returned that 7850 for a refund and used those funds to purchase a GTX 660, which has given me no problems so far. I have not encountered stuttering issues with my GTX 660 (using both 306.97 and 310.33 beta drivers). Apparently, the stuttering issue was resolved in the 306.97 driver release:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.97-whql-driver.html

Obviously, that isn't a big help to people who are stuck with the momentary artifact problem. Hopefully it is resolved soon. It's frustrating to see good hardware held back by bad software. I honestly think AMD has the better architecture with GCN (and the wider memory buses). But the Kepler (6xx) series is still a very decent option.

2. Pixelhant3r

Pixelhant3r Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB OC
    I don't know if the card is from one of the first produced or not but its a possibility. Still the new one gives me identical problems.

One another news 12.11 beta4 are out. Seems from the release notes they're putting the focus on the 7xxx series.

Tried them out without astonishing results but they perform a bit better concerning flickering in Skyrim.

Still sticking to 12.6 though, until something at least equalivent comes out.

3. Cysticfinger

Cysticfinger Member

GPU:
    Powercolor ATI HD7850 PCS
    Guyz i understand the flickering the continues but is there any update for BSOD in 12.11? Did anyone try it?

4. asciikode

asciikode Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    I have never had a BSOD with this card, on any driver.

5. asciikode

asciikode Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    So this the result of my Open AMD ticket:

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[0000000000]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

I think the suggestions and troubleshooting done through all the threads really leave me with nothing more to suggest. It certainly does appear to be driver-based, and something AMD has begun to address with the latest drivers. I would definitely use the Issue Report Form (www.amd.com/report) and provide the feedback that there is improvement, but many games are still experiecning the issue.

The development team must work on a priority-based schedule. I would expect that a game like Train Sim 2013 would not receive the same priority as BF3 or Skyrim, for example.

I am very sorry I am not able to find a resolution for you right now.

Edit: That was with level 2 support.

I suppose this is ok.
    I can probably use 12.6 for train simulator. I just hope I don't see the issue more often in other games.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  6. Cysticfinger

Cysticfinger Member

GPU:
    I'm asking to the users who has a BSOD issue :)

7. asciikode

asciikode Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    Did you happen to run memtest86+ on your machine over night?

Most BSODs that I have had have been related to a bad memory chip. Luckily, most manufacturers have no problem doing an advance RMA of these chips.

8. Cysticfinger

Cysticfinger Member

GPU:
    I mean black screen with BSOD. It happens only in games. I rma'ed it and they said they did memtest too and It was fine.

9. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
  10. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC

11. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    i honestly don't trust this tools anymore. This one is form 2008. Testing with such tools may just lead into some wrong direction like MemtestCL did.

12. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    I just started getting the flickering in borderlands 2 on 12.11

13. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Except that this program doesn't report any memory errors for me.

Why is there no up to date VRAM tester?

14. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Seems to be a lot of people with the same problem of black or white triangular artifacts depending on the game.

I also have the mentioned problems with Skyrim but also in Tribes: Ascend.

As mentioned by a previous poster the artifacting become much worse in Skyrim after installing 12.10 & 12.11betas.

But appeared to resolve the problem in Tribes: Ascend

Beta 4 12.11 is not much better than the two previous in Skyrim.

This is the worse case of poorly developed drivers I have come across from AMD.
    I used to never be concerned about updating to the latest drivers.

I had an HD4850 before this and the drivers were great besides the last one I used which was 12.6 legacy.
    Ended up getting a lot of running out of VRAM issue in games which were not affect previously.

15. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 SUPER
    I think your opinion could be valid... Indeed, these artifacts are like the ones when your overclock is unstable. Perhaps, the memory, specifically. Damn it... It's getting scary. Currently my card shoud be in Gigabyte's service. When I'll get a response, I'll post it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OCCT has a test that will check for vram errors.

17. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    If the flickering looks like you're reconnecting the screen or smth like that:

When i tested the 4 different Cards there was 1 card which also flickered on desktop. The reason was that it couldn't handle the low idle clockrates.
    When you search for that issue you will find peoples with 5000/6000 cards who also have this issue. The fix is to set the clockrate higher while idle.
    I just want to say that the desktop flickering may be another issue and may not be the "same" flickering because that one was fixed by replacing the card while the flickering in games stays the same in all 4 Cards.

18. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    No, a part of the browser window just flashed shortly. Similar to the flashing shadows in-game shown in the GTA 4 video, just that there was no shadow to begin with that could have flashed. Neither this forum nor Firefox come with 3D shadow effects after all. For example when browsing this thread I had the impression once that one of the messages (you usually have 2-4 on the screen at one time) just flashed shortly and became a little darker than the rest. I believe that I noticed that at least 2-3 times on different web pages as well. It might be purely subjective, yet I have the impression that even when just browsing the web my old 5850 which I have again in my PC as of this morning provides a more stable picture. With the 7970 I always had the impression that something was flashing just at the boarder of what my limited human perception is able to pick up.

I sent the 7970 back this morning.

What's also strange is that the problem seems to differ in severity on similar 7xxx cards even when using the same drivers and anything. The 7950 I had before clearly had more artifact issues in Skyrim than the 7970 GHz Edition even thought the rest of the hardware and drivers were identical. With the 7970 I also saw a vertical white flashing line in Skyrim once which I never saw with the 7950 even thought I had that card for months and played Skyrim a lot.

19. zarker99

zarker99 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire hd 7870 Ghz
    OK. Thanks for the info :)

20. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Has anyone examined their video card to see if there is good contact between heatsink/thermal pads and the vram, etc? What you would do is:
    1. See if there is any gap between the heatsink/thermal pads and vram, etc:

2. Separate the heatsink from the video card itself to see if there is any impression marks on the thermal pad or heatsink. Something that would suggest there is contact.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img163/6485/xfxradeon7970cooleroff.jpg

3. Use GPUz and log to a file your temps. Take note of any spikes in temps and see if it relates to your flickering. Example:
    http://i.imgur.com/t5K8c.png
    Or, can you identify if the card you are using doesn't offer any active cooling for your vram?