HD 7970 Refuses to kick into "High Performance" mode

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by TobyTheRobot, Apr 9, 2012.

1. WaaaghZag

WaaaghZag Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 DD BE
    Hi guys,

I only built this system on Wednesday so this was a fresh install to begin with but I've now tried 12.7, 12.8 beta and 12.9 beta. None of the drivers have fixed the problem. I tried the fix on the Steam forum that was posted on all three drivers and after around 3 minutes (just when I got my hopes up and thought it was fixed) the clock speed dropped back to 500MHz even though the profile said it shouldn't (basically it carried on as if the files had not been changed).

I'm totally confused because I don't see any programs running that should lead Catalyst to believe that only a low clock speed is needed. There's no flash, music players, browser pages, nothing open and nothing in the background that I can see would have an effect. If I have just FurMark or just Steam + game running it still happens. I've even tried booting up using only one of my displays rather than two but that didn't change a thing either.

I've hit a brick wall with this one. Seriously considering returning this card and going back to Nvidia (this is my first ATI).

2. WaaaghZag

WaaaghZag Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 DD BE
    Ok so I just got in after university and it's started miraculously working. I haven't changed a thing but it is now working perfectly fine :D