HD 7850 Shadow Flickering

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Blanka, May 27, 2012.

1. Blanka

Blanka New Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850
    Hi all, this is my 1st post here and I'd really appreciate any help for some difficulties I've been having as of late.

I've been having some issues with my HD 7850 after installing the Catalyst 12.4 drivers. First thing I noticed after the install was the known glitch with the driver stating it's still 12.3, however after running the heaven benchmark I noticed flickering on the textures and shadows that I don't remember being there before (on stock settings). Thus I immediately unstalled the drivers and reinstalled the 12.3 version I was using before, however the problems are worryingly persisting. Here's a video of the issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNT9akRx0f0

The quality's pretty terrible as I've never recorded/compressed/uploaded anything before. However you can clearly see some flickering at 10-12 seconds in. Is there a chance I missed a step when it came to uninstalling the drivers (just used the uninstall command on the driver file) or so I have to hope it will be fixed with future drivers?

Edit: Just fixed the broken youtube url.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  2. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    at 12secs, on the ground where the path connects to the round area is flickering right?

that's not a shadow & that's unigine's problem, they have 2 objects in the same position so they are now z-fighting

or are you saying you're seeing it in many games?

3. Blanka

Blanka New Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850
    Thanks for the reply, sorry my response has been so slow. It's good to know that's not only an issue on my end (though I swear I hadn't seen it prior to the new drivers). However that isn't the only issue I have, as I said before shadows flicker (I think it may be the dynamic ones). The prior video didn't ilustate it too well but I think this one does a bit of a better job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iLHGduRrOI&feature=youtu.be

It's still not perfect given the resolution of the video, but I think the flickering's pretty clear on the shots of the cannon.

As for games, I seem to be having issues with shadows in Might and Magic Heroes VI and ARMA 2 at the moment. Oddly enough things like fine in Battle Field 3 MP along with Diablo 3 and DOTA 2.

Edit: Have updated the video for one of a higher quality.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. amieneel

amieneel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    have u tested with 12.4b driver ? Many bugs has fixed in that driver.

5. Blanka

Blanka New Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850
    Having already reverted back to 12.3 (and still suffering from the issues caused by 12.4) I'm a little wary of having to install those drivers again and then something else on top of them. I figured I'd be better off waiting for the .5 release given it's meant to be released soon? Not forgetting that the hotfix only addresses issues had with other cards in games that run fine on my 9850 right now.

6. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    checked that 2nd video, looks normal to me

by that i mean, yes it's supposed to wiggle & flicker, that's what shadow maps are, some games decide to blur them out or use a higher resolution to reduce the uglyness, others dont http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/1/3/9/5/8/7/0/PS3_texture2.bmp.jpg

what happens is, if the light source is changing position, the shadow map gets calculated again, any slight movement will be obvious when the pixels of the shadow are so huge

another thing, for ambient occlusion, it's almost always in a lower resolution than native, so any calculations there when the camera moves will start showing up too

you can ask unigine themselves, this is what it's supposed to look like without increasing shadow resolution (& vram usage & gpu demand)

now go get the latest 12.6 official beta driver :grad:

edit: http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/a...2ec550ee1b1989bde4.1920x1080.jpg?t=1320871583 official arma 2 pic

if you have serious sam 3 (or maybe even the HD ones), you can go into the options & toggle some of the shadow filtering and resolution settings to see how a game dev can reduce the side effects of shadow resolution

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  7. Blanka

Blanka New Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850
    Haha, can't believe I've been freaking out over nothing. Must have been so awe inspired from the step up from console gaming that I hadn't noticed it over the first few weeks, then once they became the norm I'd suddenly become a lot more critical. Though I guess it makes sense that the issue isn't as noticeable in Witcher 2 and BF3 given their higher quality shadows.

Anyway thanks for the reassurance and sorry for wasting you time. I'll update to the beta over the weekend :)

8. Jumeogi

Jumeogi New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB
    I have some issues(HD 7850) but not flickering: http://i52.tinypic.com/11u8490.jpg That is not right.
    A game called Pure has some very weird shadows and Blacksite Area 51 too. Almost like in the picture above. Shadows are all messed up in these games.
    I'm using 12.4b driver.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
  10. Jumeogi

Jumeogi New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB
    In Pure the shadows are coming off but not in a normally way. A big black square. Not seeing the shape of the rider and the bike. Just a big black square.

Dunno. Which one you would suggest?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

11. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    latest? official 12.6b or the new june4 12.6b leak?

pure sounds broken, could be a 7 series issue, but try disabling catAI (i think you might be able to edit a profile xml for that)

12. Jumeogi

Jumeogi New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB
    Uninstalled the old driver and then installed 12.6b and with the program called radeon pro tried to turn off Catalyst AI but still shadows are pixelated and messed up. http://i50.tinypic.com/fp7rb.jpg VGA can't handle dynamic shadows or what?

13. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    then maybe some optimization or architecture change that doesnt quite work right with the way pure is making shadows, it would be interesting if this is the only game that does it... (do you have splitsecond or fuel?)

http://www.amd.com/report/ report it i guess...

14. Jumeogi

Jumeogi New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB
    Probably that's the case. Tried Fuel demo and no glitches like in Pure.
    Thanks for the link. I will report it.