HD 6970 low performance in Crysis Warhead?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by poenanie, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I wouldn't push the CPU harder.
    Ram timings can be set in the BIOS.

EDIT: Found the sticks and some info, check it out.
    This one has a lot of info:
    http://www.overclock.net/intel-memory/243828-g-skill-ddr2-1000-cl5-4gb.html
    Note that the gain isn't so high from 880Mhz and up to 950Mhz
    TRFC at 48 or higher, this ram like high TRFC values.

More as a review, they probably didn't try very hard:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hardcore-ddr2-ram-corsair,1627-5.html

Another one from a user with IP35-Pro running them at 500 with 5-5-5-15 timings:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129026
    Look at the last post on page.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. Dalton Sleeper

Dalton Sleeper Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 8GB
    Make sure you are using the same settings, catalyst ai and surface optimizations etc. and no modifications such as pom disabled.
    Edit: and power tune, so the cards doesn't throttle at different tdp's

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. FearFactory

FearFactory Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor HD6950 2GB
    Cat AI, power tune, Surface optimazations on default, no changes on the CCC.

4. wildvil

wildvil Active Member

GPU:
    5830 x 2 + 9800 GT
    Just be careful with overclocking your cpu. I had my q6600 overclocked to 3.6 for over a year (water cooled) then it stopped working... I was lucky though... It did not die, I can only overclock it now to 2.7 and nothing more:wanker:.

I can not remember, does Crysis use more than two gb of ram?

Right click the main EXE file for Crysis (the one that is running when the game is playing) and open it with CFF explorer. Go to file header, then "Click here", and see if "App can handle>2gb addressest" is checked.

Almost half of all new games do not have this checked, by adding this I gain either FPS (1 to 2) or smother game play. So far only my Wii emulator has a problem with this, every other game worked fine (knock on wood).

If you do not have CFF explorer you can get one at the Fall out 3 mod site "FO3 RAM Boost". It was not made for Fall out 3, it can work on any game with any O/S (I have windows 7)

5. wildvil

wildvil Active Member

GPU:
    5830 x 2 + 9800 GT
    Have another thought (well it was really my daughter).

She pointed out that playing a game with lower res but high IQ can look better than high res with no IQ.

1400 X 900 with SS + 16AF + 16AA looks the same if not better than 1920 X 1080 with no IQ.

Maybe you are bottle necked with your CPU with high res, so try lower res but with high IQ (if you are going that road then use "Radeon Pro").

6. Scyphe

Scyphe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 7950@1150/1700
    For your reference (so you have something to compare to) I did two benches with the Crysis: WARHEAD Framebuffer tool.

Core i5 750 @ 3.80Ghz
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Powercolor HD 6950 flashed to 6970, stock 6970 clocks, using the 10.12a hotfix drivers (shows in CCC as 10.11).

I pressed default settings in CCC for 3D-settings.

64-bit patch gave me 1.5 fps increase, ie. unnoticeable.

First bench was the default one, Gamer mode with no AA:
    [​IMG]

Second bench was Enthusiast mode with 4xAA:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  7. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Is the Anti Aliasing set to normal 'BOX' type in the drivers settings(Catalyst or a third party tool), not Edge-Detect or EQAA or Morphological AA or SSAA.

With my PC with a 5850 (and CPU limit at 2.2 Ghz on quad with KSTAT), I can play Crysis (not warhead) with CCC mod set to level 5 at 1680x1050 with 4xSSAA (Directx 9, not DX10) with FPS more than 20 most of the time.

Check your settings, before you jump on the wagon to buy/upgrade your PC just for this issue.

8. poenanie

poenanie Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970
    Allright, I've downloaded that benchmark tool and this kind of confirms what I was allready thinking, the card is actually doing what it's supposed to do and there's a minor difference in FPS with i5/i7 setups and setups with more RAM memory.

Here is my result:

[​IMG]

I have only slightly lower fps then Scyphe so I guess I'm good to go :)
    ( + I can enable 8xAA without having a performance impact in comparison to 0xAA )

All in all I'm just slightly dissapointed that game actually still dips in the lower 20's when you run along the shore and look at the island.

Yep, you're completely right! I might actually move my pc for a bit and hook it up to my TV to play the game with my XBOX controller, it would have me playing at quite a low resolution but it's just different on a tv :)

Anyways, thanks for all the really helpfull reactions, I was actually overwhelmed by the number of replies I got.
    I've also learned a few things so you've got yourselves another happy customer ;)

9. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Ok i was try search a bench with Q6600 vs new one.. finally find it on Anandtech review.

this explain a little bit the problem. ( 1680x1050, but Image quality is reduced for test more the CPU )
    [​IMG]

10. Dalton Sleeper

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 8GB
    another bench

I benched crysis warhead too, but with 2x6970@925/1400, an extra card with this cpu is not worth it :S Anyway, the fps seems to be the same with all resolutions, aa has no bigger impact either. 32 vs 64bit was quite a big difference, and sorry about the 32bit screenshot, accidentally ticked 64bit before printscreen :)

32bit
    [​IMG]

64bit
    [​IMG]

64bit@1920x1080@8aa
    [​IMG]

11. poenanie

poenanie Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970
  12. Dalton Sleeper

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 8GB
    Now that is strange, I get 96 degrees Celsius on top card after 10 minutes furmark with 2x6970@925/1400 with tdp@300w. Idle at 40c@25% fan speed.

13. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 1.5GB
    I just got two 6850s and can't get AF to work at all in regular Crysis w/ 10.12, whether POM and /or ZPOMAF is enabled or not. Looks blurry and awful. Guess tonight I will try Warhead and/or earlier Catalyst drivers. Looking forward to playing it finally now that I really have a setup worthy of doing so.

14. Krazy Fox

Krazy Fox Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II R
    I think your Core 2 Quad is fine especially oc up from 2.4 to 3.4.
    You may want to work on OCing the Memory if ya can get to 1333MHz or 1600MHz and the CPU a knotch down to 3.2GHz.

Make sure you're Stable.

I would reset the GPU Bios to 6950 standards and recheck System Stats and what is happening in Crysis ,etc.

Then reload the 6970 bios into the 6950.

Note: I'm sure you know how to Uninstall all the old Drivers and clean up registry with Driver Sweeper / Ccleaner and deleting junk items inside the PreFetch folder.

uhm! AMD/ ATI Catalyst 10.12a and other driver fixes are still in progress as working toward updating so the new 6900 series are fully functional.

What I've heard about Corsair PSU (built for Quality).. your 750W should be enough.

A reason why reducing CPU freq. is making sure your system is stable as there is a remote possiblilty Bottlenecking. It's known with the HD 6800's to bottleneck with PC's using Duo Core or Duo 2 Core ... and even low end Quad Cores regardless that HD 6870 is mid-level card. This even makes it harder with moving up higher to 6950/70/90.

Good luck ... and as someone mentioned don't work or not satisfied with the 6950 --get a RMA.

15. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    so wait is it steady 20s or stutters, as if it's loading new data? you might be able to tweak the caching & stuff

16. poenanie

poenanie Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970
    Stable 20's, if I look at a certain point where my fps are really low they can for example stay put at 25.

Anyway, considering the benchmark I've posted here it looks like my results are quite normal considering the rest of my setup, no?

Is there any other games you guys would advise me to use as a benchmark to see if my card is really doing what it should do?

I've got Black Ops, Bad Company 2, Crysis, Dirt2, Mirrors Edge to name a few recent games ...

17. Captain-Splat

Captain-Splat Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 1gb XXX OC stock
    possible solution

For the OP, delete crysis warhead config files under my documents folder and do it for all your games every time you add/switch video cards. I had the same problem with 6950 1gb I think it's to do with 6950 being 'different'(a god damn mutant). Try removing the cooler from your video card wiping off the thermal paste and replacing it with arctic silver, and use MSI afterburner to have a fan profile. If yoiu're still overheating reduce powertune to a negative % in overdrive/afterburner. You will get a reduction in fps but most games you won't even know.

18. Captain-Splat

Captain-Splat Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 1gb XXX OC stock
    ArmA 2 has a couple of short but useful benchmarks, it is also good for CPU