HD 6970 freezing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by bvuong, Aug 2, 2011.

1. bvuong

bvuong New Member

GPU:
    sapphire hd 6970
    when i'm in game playing any game even the free one dragon nest or crysis 2 after 30 mins to a couple hours my computer would freeze, i cant crl+alt+dlt out of it and i am forced to do a hard reset. when it freezes the sound buzzes and the screen is frozen on whatever i am looking on. This only happens in game

help! thank you!

2. Snajlen

Snajlen Active Member

GPU:
    Rog Strix 1080ti
    i had freezes and hardlock before , with 6950 flashed to 70.
    was the powercontrol settings. but crashes may depends on ram sometimes.
    i had my cpu overclocked a bit far and when i tweaked my ram latency freeze/crashes gone.

3. bvuong

bvuong New Member

GPU:
    sapphire hd 6970
    did you find a fix?

4. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    he said he overclocked too far & with tweaking he fixed it

you should make sure your temps arent too hot & that your system is stable

5. georaldc

georaldc Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    My new 6970 actually does this as well, where a game would freeze for like a second or 2 and you could hear a buzzing sound, then resume normally. It only happens once though but I always wondered why it was doing this. My gpu isn't overclocked and temps shouldn't be a problem since I max out at around 70C at full load while playing demanding stuff like crysis 2. My old videocards never did this even at higher temps.

6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Buzzing sound is either your psu or gpu overheating the coils OR your gpu is not getting enough power from either bad cables (might be loose) or the psu is on the fritz.

Double check your power cables to the GPU and unplug then plug your gpu back into the computer. Clean out the slot and GPU fan while you're at it.

You can test really quick just by opening up your computer case and blowing cold air into your gpu, psu, cpu and mb. If it stops freezing, you know the inside of your case is too hot and your gpu is overheating.

My unlocked 6950 CFX sputtered and locked up, but no sound, until I improve the air flowing into my super cramped computer case. I just removed the side panel and have a small quiet fan blowing outside air in.

If freezing still continues, you need to double check everything is clean, plugged in or your gpu might need to be RMA'ed.