hd 6870 - Colored Pixel on Desktop (after hibernate)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by FirefoXXL, Apr 7, 2012.

1. FirefoXXL

FirefoXXL New Member

GPU:
    HIS ATI 6870 IceQX 1GB
    hd 6870 - Colored Pixel on Desktop (only after hibernate)

/edit:
    Final Part: Solution
    Returned the card and got a new one which doesn't has the problem described below.

Original Text below:
    Hi,

because my old geforce 8800gtx died after 5 years (prob. soldering) and no one gave me permission to use his oven to bake it :p, I got myself a HD 6870. (only one, no sli)
    (HIS iceQ X 1gb 6870, non OC@900mhz, still not OC'ed)

Part 1: The Problem
    When resuming after hibernating for some time, the screen shows colored pixel where they don't belong. Some of them seem static, others might be blinking and/or changing. Quite the disco mode :banana:

I haven't fully testet yet where they appear. Mostly on the desktop wallpaper, which is shown directly after Hibernate, or in the active browser window/tab, if the browser was maximized at that point.

(on wallpaper): Moving the mouse or an icon over a colored spot makes it look normal. Moving it back again makes the colored pixel reappear. Changing the Wallpaper seems to fix it/refreshes the original data(?)
    They can also be beneath the taskbar and change around when opening up a browser window and scrolling (for example)

(in browser:) nearly the same, they disappear and appear at random spots when scrolling inside the Browser.

This is a screenshot from my browser window, directly after waking up from Hibernation. This was one of the most extreme cases...
    Screenshots of the Desktop tend to capture less pixel than drawn. Several even vanish when making a screenshot.

[​IMG]
    (Screenshots done with PrintScreen - Key.)

They only appear in 2d mode after hibernating, games show no corruption or any problems at all. (aka: games run stable)

Only other "problem" I noticed, wich is probably unrelated:
    Games/Benchmarks can ignore my "force vsync on" setting in CCC :/

Part 2: Further Info
    Using Win7 x64.

At first, since I had a Nvidia GPU earlier, I deinstalled its drivers using "programs and features" and installed ATI 12.3 whql.
    Everything was fine, except for the moment I noticed those pesky pixels.

Then I deinstalled 12.3, rebootet, ran DriverSweeper 3.2 (cleaned nvidia+ati, in normal+protected mode) and installed the 12.1 whql drivers. Pretty much the whole fun...
    Still the same problem.

The pixel appear in Singlemonitor and Dualmonitor Desktopmode (300MHz Memory Clock vs. 1050 MHz Memory Clock).
    iirc switching from one mode to another fixes the problem too.

GPU Clock is 300 MHz either way (2d mode), after dropping down from 900 Mhz during startup I believe.

They don't seem to appear when Hibernating and immediatly waking up again.

The Bios Post/"DOS"/Windowsstartup part after Hibernating shows no corruption either. (hybrid sleep & sleep is deactivated in the power options, it should be real Hibernation)

Starting FurMark in windowed Mode runs fine (noticed no corruption), yet the pixel on the wallpaper remain. So revving up the clock to 3d mode doesn't fix the corruption either :/

Chkdsk on my system partition/partition with hiberfil.sys already done, as well as loading bios optimized default settings, didn't help.

Restarting the PC normally (eg. Shutdown instead of Hibernate) has no problems.

Part 3: The Questions
    Since I hadn't had an ATI since my old 9000AIW (wich is still running btw), I'm obviously out of the loop in regard to 'typical' or known ATI problems.
    (This includes calling it ATI instead of AMD :p )

I'm currently wondering if the above is a known driver problem, any other type of purely software error or an early sign of an upcoming hardware failure.

Right know I'm still able to send the card back the easy way, which I will if I can't solve this problem within the next week. But I want to be sure its not on my end first, so the next card doesn't have this problem.

Help and advice is appreciated.

tl;dr:
    - new graphics card, not OC'ed
    - funky disco pixels on desktop wallpaper or maximized browser window directly after wakeup from hibernation, etc.
    - see screenshot
    - seem to disappear after changing wallpaper or restarting browser<-unsure
    - restart/shutdown works fine, connected to hibernation
    - 3d games and furmark run fine and stable, no problems noticed
    - never had this problem before

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. Anagke

Anagke New Member

GPU:
    Asus HD6850 DirectCU 1GB
  3. FirefoXXL

FirefoXXL New Member

GPU:
    HIS ATI 6870 IceQX 1GB
    Yes, I have a Gigabyte P35dq6 (from around 2007)

And thank you, the link really helped.

Now I even know how the recreate the problem without hibernating first:
    Using a Singlemonitor Setup for 300/300 MHz Core/Ram and revving the fan up to 100%.
    Temperature drops/stays low at around 32°C. Then scrolling a website with Firefox makes the core clock jump to 900 for a short time and the pixels appear. Then the core clocks back to 300 MHz and the pixel stay until the temperature goes up AND the picture information gets refreshed...

In short:
    Looks like the clockswitch and the "low" temperature make those pixels appear.

Now my only question is: Why? :gape:

Or to be more precise:
    How can I create a workaround to never see this pixel problem again, because having to wait or kickstart the gpu every time will be annoying...

Do you know if I'm going to have this problem with every HD6870 out there or just a few of them?
    Because since I bought the card over the internet, I have around a week left to return it to the shop for a full refund (14 day money back guarantee for online purchases in Germany), which gives me the additional option of changing to the same card from a different vendor.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  4. Anagke

Anagke New Member

GPU:
    Asus HD6850 DirectCU 1GB
    Looks like a nice card, unless you want to step up to a slightly faster Radeon 6950 or Nvidia 560 close to the same price range - In Canada a plain 560 (non Ti) costs approx $30-70+ more. Your online vender will likely allow you to trade up. Otherwise it's possible a standard reference card design (without custom coolers like we each have) might not have the issue. High temps are not a big problem with 68xx series and they OC very well.

Overclocking the GPU seems to help - heats up the card quicker at least. As the linked article stated the perfect idle temp seems to be 38C.

This issue seems more prominent on Gigabyte mainboards using power saving features. If using Dynamic Energy Saver you could try disabling DES or at least tinker with the voltage throttling feature. Just guessing that the card is slightly undervolted at cool temps (normally only seen sometimes resuming from standby) perhaps at the threshold while fans are minimum speed and the card is drawing little power. Only takes a minute or less for temps to to rise a bit and the flashing pixels go away.

Personally I try to save energy, my PC was built to be efficient, and when I understood the cause of the pixel problem it became a very minor nuisance. I got used to it, it's causing no harm. The reasons I chose a 68xx series was its price for decent performance, being cool and quiet, and low power usage (125W under full load).

Another thing to try is lowering the fan speed on your case side intake - the fan blowing over the graphic card. I like having a cool case with plenty of airflow, but I'll repeat that high temps are not a problem with 68xx cards anyway.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

5. FirefoXXL

FirefoXXL New Member

GPU:
    HIS ATI 6870 IceQX 1GB
    My Motherboard is from 2007, Gigabyte introduced the DES Feature in 2008. Tried disabling any powersaving features (mainly cpu) I could find, didn't help.

Also installed a fresh copy of win7x64 on an empty partition to eliminate any kind of software problem. No changes.
    (btw. never try installing Win7x64 on a 10gb partition - no fun)

About a different card:
    I was originally hovering between a normal 560 and a 6870 (they cost pretty much the same over here), but after looking at different benchmarks, the 6870 seems to be faster.
    (It's faster than a 560, except in 1 or 2 games, and showed nearly the performance as a 560ti in several other games.)
    The 560ti costs approx 35€, the 6950 approx. 60€ more. But since my CPU isn't exactly new either, anything over a 560/6870 doesn't make much sense.

Since I'm trying to save energy (bill money ;) ) and already lost 2 GPUs to imperfect soldering+heat+vibrations, I'm really hesitant to increase the heat in any way.

I'm probably try the card inside a friends PC in the next few days and then decide what to do with it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012