HD 6850 Crossfire freezes Windows

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by LiquidShadow, Jan 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. LiquidShadow

LiquidShadow New Member

GPU:
    HD 6850 1Gb
    Hello dear community,

To pass the time till mid 2016 I got myself another HD6850(by accident the 2gb version was delivered instead of the 1Gb version). But crossfiring with it causes my pc to freeze randomly.

These are my specs:
    AMD Phenom x4 955 Be @ 3,6GHz
    Saphire HD6850 1Gb Rev 1
    Saphire HD6850 2Gb Rev 2(if this matters)
    Asus M4A87TD Evo
    Be Quiet 580W
    12Gb Kingston Hyper X
    Hard Drives

I tested both cards individualy and they both work fine. I deinstalled ccc cleanly(by deleting leftover stuff with Driver Fusion) and reinstalled it after installing the second card and the Crossfire Bridge. I checked that crossfire is enabled, that both GPU are recognized and later I deactivated ULPS in the registry and updated my Motherboard Bios. I checked the temperatures and after raising the fan speed to a fixed value they never got over 70°C(only very little space in case/on Motherboard). On some games I gained some frames and I always check if both cards are working with GPU-Z but after all these steps my pc keeps freezing randomly.

Is there anything left I can do?
    will updating the GPU´s Bios bring any benefits?

thanks for your help

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    I think you are pushing it with a 580 watt power supply for crossfire for starters which could cause the issue seeing how they say a 500 watt minimum for one card.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I tried running 2 x 6850s on a 570W PSU and it stank the room out and cut out each time I ran a game

Upgrade your PSU

4. LiquidShadow

LiquidShadow New Member

GPU:
    HD 6850 1Gb
    and it worked after upgrading?

I wanted to Upgrade my Rig in 2016 anyway. Do you have a PSU you would recommend? Since mine performed well so far and I would not want to buy a new one every few years for which number should I aim? 1000 to 1200 or do you think 800 will be fine with a Skylake/Skymount intel cpu and a higher end GPU?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

5. red6joker

red6joker Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    The 2GB version might cause problems with your original 1GB card.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Yea it worked fine after I upgraded the PSU, I upgraded to the one I am running now in my specs

<<<<<<<<<<<<<