HD 5770 CF versus single HD 7770?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by poppy10, Oct 5, 2012.

1. poppy10

poppy10 Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X
    Hi,
    I have an AMD Radeon HD 5770 that has served me well, but is starting to show its age, particularly now that I have a 1920x1080 monitor.

My upgrade budget is only around £70 :thumbdown

For that price I can get another HD5770 (or rather a HD6770 which is the same thing rebadged) to use in Crossfire. Alternatively if I stretch to £80 I could get a single HD 7770 (or an nvidia GTX 650).

I heard the 5770 has good performance in crossfire although I'm not sure how it compares to the 7770/650 on its own. Also is it true that lots of games don't take full advantage of CF?

Which do you think would be better?

(My Mobo supports crossfire, has two lanes at 8x; my PSU should be fine too. It's not the system in my profile)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    HD 5770 CF is around HD 5870 performance, so it means GT650 or 7770 are left in the dust.

4. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    If you want no problems choice single gpu

5. main_shoby

main_shoby Maha Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Qnix 2710 96Hz
    umm, what you mean no problem? its give and take. More performance with less money. Say 2x 460gtx will surpass 580gtx with less price + a little hassle with very new games if there is no xfire support built-in. in this case all you have to do is to wait for ccc profile release. which comes, fairly quickly.
    depends. I personally have had zero Xfire problem because in my case a single card is more tha enough in every game lol.

6. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    5770 crossire have hard fps drops because of 128bit memory.
    The driver for the HD 5000 Series special at Crossfire totaly sucks, its not so good as at 7000series, artefacts, shuttering.

7. poppy10

poppy10 Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X
    Really? Most of the reviews I read said that the 5770s were pretty good in crossfire, that's why I asked if it would be a better choice than buying a newer card.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    CFX sucks, go single card, I've got 2 x 6850s and I hate CFX so much one of them is now sitting on my desk

9. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    One thing these reviews probably don't touch on is the fact that doubling the cards does NOT double your memory bandwidth. You will still be bottle-necked with a slow 128-bit memory bus. Not to mention, Crossfire is plagued with problems and compatibility issues. If I were you i'd skip both options you were talking about and wait for a killer deal on a 6870 or something. You can probably get one for another $20 or so and its better than both of these options! You can probably find a better deal than this, but I just pulled this one up really quickly http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

10. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    ive had trifire for long
    nowadays there is enough horsepower
    on new gpus to game happy on single gpus and avoid
    multi gpu hassle
    and im talking both camps

11. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I had the same question as you a year ago my answer to you is GO for the second HD5770 you wont regret it I've not had any problems in games that haven't been fixed by updating the driver or patching the game

12. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    did you ever stop and think that maybe your artifacts and stuttering maybe caused by your OC on you card I run 920/1275 on mine and have no problems at all

13. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    yes for sure, but still thank for the idea.
    Lately i run even without Overclock, because if use 2 Monitor and Overclock the Card the 2nd Screen flicker like hell.

14. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    Easy fix for that.

Take note of your normal multi monitor clocks.
    Mine is 400/1200.

Go to Overdrive and enable it, then open the Presets tab, Add preset and call it FlickerFixer.

Then go to C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles draw and find FlickerFixer, open it with Wordpad.
    And i mean the DRAW and not the Profiles file that is also in the Ace Draw.

In red is what i changed then save and activate the preset.

You only need to change the settings for the primary display and it helps if its also display Number1, if it is not then change it in CCC as you can change primary as well as swapping the numbers with right clicking on the monitor and that's not the same as dragging the monitor order.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  15. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion

Cool i will try that

16. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    CFX is in most cases not a "works out of the box" solution but saying it sucks might be a bit too harsh.
    I run CFX setups for several years now without any unsolvable issues.