HD 4870 2gb crossfire?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by akilay87, Oct 25, 2009.

1. akilay87

akilay87 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 vapor-x 2gb
    Ok i have one HD 4870 vapor-x 2gb and im curious how would 2 of these perform in crossfire (i know 550watt psu aint enouph)
    Is there anybody who could provide some sort of benchmark/test for these?
    If not, whats your opinion about the difference in performance to 2xHD4870 1gb crossfire?
    i ll probably buy a single dx11 card later ,but i was just curious about the difference of 2gb to 1gb when in crossfire.
    Sry for sucky english:p

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    If both cards are the same (4870) and one has 1GB and the other 2GB then the one with 2GB will be scaled down to 1GB. So, you will need the same amount of memory in each card. The same goes for clock rates. If one has a higher rate than the other then both will run at the lowest clock rate of the two.

3. akilay87

akilay87 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 vapor-x 2gb
    thanks for the fast reply...but why i have a feeling it is irrelevant to the subject? i dint ask anything about crossfire requirements or clocks or memories.. maybe i failed to make myself clear...
    so again : If i have 2 HD 4870 vapor-x (both with 2gb of ram each) in crossfire how would they perform in comparison with 2 HD 4870 (with 1 gb each) in crossfire?
    any bench/test or opinion?

4. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I don't have the numbers. But google the regular benchmarks to see the difference between the two (without Crossfire). It will scale accordingly. And games with textures with a very high resolution may favor the 2GB one. Often the 2GB version runs on a lower memory speed, though. Again... I don't have the numbers.

5. akilay87

akilay87 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 vapor-x 2gb
    i cant find anything about the specific cards in cf. thats why i ask here in the first place:p anyway thanks for your responce.. if anyone else knows anything about the matter any info would be apreciated. :p

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Well look for HD4870 crossfire bench then add a few % to that.

7. akilay87

akilay87 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 vapor-x 2gb
    hehe:p wat are u? some kind of wise guy? :p

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Look at my motash it is WISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

All seriousness though it will be only 10% at the most faster than the 1GB crossfire config

9. akilay87

akilay87 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 vapor-x 2gb
    ok m8 thank u very much;)

10. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    Lawl - hardly. it all depends on the resolutions that you will be running at otherwise theres hardly any difference between 1Gb & 2Gb & if there is then probably such a small fps increase thats impossible for the human eye to pick up.

If you run extremely high resolutions (e.g - on a 30-40" monitor) with high AA & AF then the 2Gb would come into play otherwise theres not much point.

A single 4870 would struggle to run high resolutions on a 30"+ since it lacks the power to do so.

otherwise the 4870 is still a very very capable card which still pumps out good fps

11. akilay87

akilay87 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 vapor-x 2gb
    Well mb now maybe u understand my point ^ one will strugle, but two of them wouldnt have a significant performance increase in high res in comparison with 2xHd4870 1gb?
    Still i dont c any way of finding out except if someone has actually tried it. and i say one more time this is just my curiosity. With this kind of money i would buy a HD5870 and keep the same PSU and much more frame rate increase ;)

12. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    i just wanted to add a good 550w psu is enough to push two 4870s.

13. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    well his PSU only got 1 "t" so i suspect it wont do any good:D

(sorry had to make this joke...)

EDIT: W000t!!! 700 posts!!!

14. akilay87

akilay87 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 vapor-x 2gb
    HAHA:D true one 't' is missing oh crap! :D
    btw everywhere i read that 650 watt and more is required for 2x4870 :S
    Myself i have no idea about all these crap.. you think 550 watt will do huh?
    Personal experience or...?

15. akilay87

akilay87 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 vapor-x 2gb
    Haaaaaaaa^^^ Think again!! :biggun: fixxed profile crap :p

16. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    well i still have the feeling its a minus 1 "t" PSU:p nanana:D

unless its a REALLY good one, i wouldnt plug 2 hd4870's on it if i were you... but thats not your question:D

Personally i dont think the differance between 1gig and 2 gig will be major(at least not in most games) and only willl drag it down since the memory speed will be slower.

but if you want to go Xfire, then i would get another 2gig if i were you, otherwise it would be a waste of the one you got now:p

17. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    if its a good quality psu..yes i think it will..
    i wouldnt say personal experience per se..but ive seen systems of the like that can do it..now idk what brand urs is..so i cant say for sure..but id say that a good corsair or something like that would handle the load..

18. akilay87

akilay87 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 vapor-x 2gb
    When i c half people on this forum with 700+++ watt psu and a single HD4870 or 8800gtx how am i supposed to put another one 4870 in there with the poor 550 watt?? im terrified:D
    I even saw some guys with single card smaller cpu than mine and 850 and even 1000 watt psu omg! Anybody planning on adding lights on his pc for christmas? :D
    Seriously now, i have doubts about my psu. Usually they throw some crap things in there when u buy pc as a package. Less cost and lower price is attractive

19. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Where not talking about one card :bang:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  20. K91NE

K91NE Member

GPU:
    Asus 2X 4870@825/1100
    The 2 gig memory will only realy help with VERY high Res on a lets say HD T.V. or even a 30+inch monitor.The difference in bench scores/proformance/FPS will be for the most part ZERO over the two 1 gig cards.The added memory does not realy equal added proformance on the card.The added momory size would be a help i guess at a very high RES.With that said if the $ is right i can never hurt.But the difference between 512mb,1gig,2gig is all relative to size of monitor and you get some added benfit with AA and AF as the card can handel textures a little better.