1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD 4850 Unstable

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by giofrida, Mar 10, 2018.

1. giofrida

giofrida New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 780
    Hello,

I have got an ATI HD 4850 512MB (GDDR3) which uses this BIOS:
    - Core: 625.0 MHz
    - Memory: 993.0 MHz

However, after having installed ATI drivers on a freshly installed Windows 7, the card makes the system crash at startup with a BSOD. After a lot of research all over the web I found this thread, whose OP had the exact same problem (and BSOD code, with screen glitches!), but he eventually never tried to fix.
    So I decided to follow the suggestions in that thread and started downclocking core and memory of all clock states available, with no success. Then I've slightly increased voltage in all clock states. Still no luck.
    Then, I disabled the card in device manager and started Windows, without any BSOD. With GPU-Z I've found out the card goes to 625 / 993 even if no clock states contained that information anymore. After a lot of struggle I discovered that this clock is defined as "Standard clock" under "Additional features" in RBE. I've read this cannot be easily edited and can only be changed using RBE signatures.

So now I haven't got any option left. Is there still anything I can do?

Thank you in advance

P.s: I remember the card worked great in a similar setup after having increased voltage only (I remember OCCT ran for more than 20min with 0 memory errors!). Then I changed the card with a new one and left it unused for more than a year.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7950 Vapor-X 3GB
    That card is really old, and the BSOD could very well be the result of a failing card than anything else.

3. giofrida

giofrida New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 780
    Thank you for your answer.
    I think VRAM is the real problem here. Maybe a reflow/reball can fix this, but for now I will use my GT 430.

4. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    Go for the oventrick or use a heatgun.