HD 3850 AGP - confirmed!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Alexraptor, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    AGP users may be happy to know that the rumours circulating about a HD 3850 in AGP flavour, are true.
    Just looked at one of my local hardware stores and they now have pre-order on a "PowerColor Radeon HD 3850 "PCS" 512MB, GDDR3, AGP8X"
    This is very good news indeed for us who want to squeeze that little extra out of our ageing AGP rigs.

2. Im2bad

Im2bad Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB
    Wouldn't have helped me, my old processor would have died if I had placed one of those in that old rig. Athlon XP 2600+, no chances with that. But for people who have newer AGP rigs, damn, that's going to be the best bang for buck. Just wonder how much one'll cost? I'm guessing around the prize of the PCIE ones.

3. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Lol there might only be two people on this fourm that will enjoy that. Its aircool and some other guy. They seem to have a Q6600 inside a rig that has agp.

4. Im2bad

Im2bad Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB
    Haha, well that's true. But you don't necessarily have to have a Q6600 in your rig, a dualcore'll do just fine. Ehm, to be specific, a high-end dualcore'll do just fine.

5. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Even a 2.6 Ghz p4 would be fine, it all comes down to what game your trying to play and what it demands. some games are just insanely GPU intense while barley loading down lower end CPU's at all.

6. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    True, just a shame I play source games which are more cpu-based :(

7. supreme555

supreme555 New Member

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I 've checking the internet everyday even today Christmas day!!! I need that graphic I even returned my radeon 1950 xt on Nov 16th because i 've heard about his new AGP card. I just hope It would be agood investment. My PC is a 3,2 GHZ Overclocked @ 3.7 Ghz. I know my system would like this new graphic card. I 've heard that for lower cpu's a 1950 pro or 1050 xt would just fine.???

8. Thunderball

Thunderball Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870+Twinturbo Pro
    ATI was not able to release a working AGP driver for the HD2xxx series.
    Maybe they should solve this problem first before throwing another AGP card on the market with probably no working driver.

9. retiredat44

retiredat44 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX460 1gb Video Car
    I would not go that route, a P4 CPU AGP board wil Bottleneck these high end video cards..

my P4 CPU bottlenecks my Radon X1950 Pro AGP card....
    :3eyes:

10. retiredat44

retiredat44 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX460 1gb Video Car
    yes, people with the new AGP high end cards are pissed off at ATI for Crap drivers.. I am one of them... you can see people rioting in several forums... ATI doesn't seem to care...

:3eyes:

11. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Crap drivers, lol silly. Sitting here cats (NGO) 7.3's oh yeah vintage drivers, that make every game I have work fine, including crysis!

12. gandalf21502

gandalf21502 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 260GTX 216, 700/2300
    Nice!

Well that is GREAT news for us old AGP guys out there. I love my x1950, but from the benchmarks I have seen the 3850 would be a nice upgrade. AGP still has the power to run the card with proper CPU. I think my system should be loving it. What store did you see the pre-order at and did they have a price and release date?

13. Thunderball

Thunderball Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870+Twinturbo Pro
    It´s not silly. The new or old drivers may work with your card, but not with the
    HD 2xxx series for sure.

14. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Unfortunatley its swedish, Komplett.se at around 2000 SEK.

15. gandalf21502

gandalf21502 Master Guru

GPU:

16. Phelaidar

Phelaidar New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X1950XTX
    It would be silly to spend on a new AGP card now...
    ATI support has been terrible...

17. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I know, I'm not really taking interest in this, the next upgrade I do i'm going to PCI-Express... but I already had that idea to begin with, just needed something temporary which I got recently :p

18. shady86

shady86 Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 260 Sonic
    Anything below Athlon X2 would seriously bottleneck HD 3850. After upgrading from Pent D to Core 2, all my games run much faster even with X1950 XT.

I don't think those who are thinking of getting 3850 are planning to play above 1600x1200. 3850 would be just too slow for that especially in newer games.

For those with previous gen cards and anything less than X2, I would suggest upgrading to X2 or C2D. Just my 2 cents.

19. Rama72

Rama72 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950pro 512MB AGP
    Does anyone know if it's out yet? I'm going to try this card. Maybe there is some life in this machine yet. (and I'm very restricted on budget)

20. gandalf21502

gandalf21502 Master Guru

GPU:
    I think if you have a X2 or better CPU, you should be fine running the 3850. I agree again that ATI lacks on driver support for all there cards really, not close to Nvida's support, but AGP people don't have a real choice, Nvidia doesn't seem to be coming out with a 8 series, but it is still a possiblity. I would say the 3850 would be the last great card for the AGP slot and will give it life for maybe another year for new games. From the benchmarks I have seen, the 3850 is a nice upgrade. After that, most likely if your aim is to game, then a total upgrade would have to happen. For under $200, would be a good upgrade. I am going to give it a try when it hits the streets, and sell my 1950, which I have buyer already. I haven't seen any 'real' release date as of yet, but have emailed various card manufactuers as to when we should expect to see it. Some foreign sites are currently taking pre-orders, but haven't seen any yet in the USA.