HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
  2. gold333

gold333 Member

GPU:
    GTX670CUII oc'd

So I found this post, ....

But running the 2b he is saying (or loading up his profile from the other forum) doesn't really work.

It's like AO is enabled on objects when you get to within 12 inches of them in game,... Any further and the game looks as flat as ever.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    There is no other option unfortunately. This is the kind of limitations we have been given by Nvidia because they just don't give a ****. They can't market it and make money from it other than the odd mention on their site about how you can enable HBAO+ in the driver in hundreds of games (Not true by default. 9/10 flags don't work with assigned games anyway)

So they don't bother.

5. widil

widil Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Hi,

I've been trying to find a better flag for Star Wars The Old Republic (SWToR) but can't seem to find any that works. (gear of war, bioshock, operation dragon rising, mass effect, assassin's creed, devil may cry and so on ...)
    Anyone had luck with this game ?

6. Kleio

Kleio Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780
    i have messed around with it but havent gotten any other flags that work the default one has bad bleeding through transparent textures.Even when i was trying to find a sgssaa flag that didnt remove transparent effects the performance wasnt worth it,over all the hbao+ isnt bad on there its a little to strong and has bleeding issues

7. gold333

gold333 Member

GPU:
    GTX670CUII oc'd
    Wow, I didn't expect it would be this bad. I mean there could be a table full of equipment and like a single tv remote will be shadowed within 12 inches of the player, the rest of the table flat. Take a step back and everything is flat again.

That's not an implementation.

I know the game supports SSAO in the ini file, etc... I'm sure a SweetFX guy could add some shading to this title, its supposed to be the third movie and all.

8. Kleio

Kleio Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780
    has anyone played around with grand theft auto 5

9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    You can't conclude anything in general based on a single game without "official" AO support.
    I simply tried all of the custom AO profiles, and only "2B" showed any effect.
    "2D" flickers like crazy in case you are interested.

This is more of a game engine limitation in my opinion.
    Certainly you could plaster some ugly ENB AO variant onto the game, but this is hardly an improvement (e.g. GTA 4).

10. gold333

gold333 Member

GPU:
    GTX670CUII oc'd
    Thanks for your work in any case. I just think it's a shame. The built in SSAO (ini file) is pretty nice, but the fps hit is too high.

Here are three screenshot comparisons.

Default GB (no HBAO or SSAO):

[​IMG]

GB with HBAO forced through Nvidia Inspector (0x0000002b, High quality):

[​IMG]

As you say the difference is next to nothing.

GB with the above and SSAO forced through the .ini file (fps drops to 30-40 from 60+).

[​IMG]

A lot better.

So yeah, this post is hoping someone can work some magic somewhere (maybe SweetFX or ENB) and make this title look like an actual movie. But yeah, without crushed blacks and blown out whites as happens too often with those filters.

This title runs best tear free with D3d overrider vsync and 60 fps. For me 8xMSAA and only 8xSS instead of 4xMSAA and 4XSGSS as the fps dips below 60 sometimes using SGAA.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You can certainly try with ReShade or something for a stronger effect. It will be SSAO though and you may encounter other issues like bleeding as with HBAO+ and the performance hit is likely to be larger.. But you don't know unless you try.

You can also go through the motions of testing all the other flags for a better Ghostbusters if they all weren't tested prior

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    There is a new DX11 flag for MortalKombat X, I thought the game already uses ingame one.. I dont own the game yet, so cant tell.

0x00170000 (Mortal Kombat X)

Speaking of HBAO flags, L4D2 still has some issues with default one flickers on/off or just disappears..,

I've just tested fakefacotry mod HL2 but its no go, too strong and there is some angle filtering going on in far distance (hard line), kinda like AF octagonal cone filtering glitch/hack by few drivers and certain games where you could see a fine hard line going from AF to bilinear..

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    L4D2 had that problem with the old SSAO too. Frustrating.

also: I think the latest CM has HBAO+ built in doesn't it? Fakefactory mentioned it several times on his site iirc

14. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    HBAO+ looks better in those shots, SSAO is just ugly and low-res looking IMO.
    And I find it strange, that you would prioritize AO over high quality SGSSAA :3eyes:

If anything makes a game "look like a movie", it is SGSSAA ;)

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    not really, it was 99% more stable then this hbao bs. Same in TF2.

EDIT: what's CM? I don't play Fakefactory so I have no idea what you mean :nerd:

16. ze1t

ze1t Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    The ingame AO is SSAO.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No it wasn't really. In l4D2 with the old SSAO I had tons of problems with it constantly flickering on and off.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I have over 300hrs by L4d2 and 280hrs by TF2, so I think I would know how it acts by now ;)

The most stable driver forced AO was @ ~ 270.xx right before nvidia decided to split it in performance and quality, then it went downhill from there..

HBAO+ has always been bug land deluxe.
    For what its worth hotfix 350.05 is kinda ok atm by L4d2 with default L4d2 flag.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  19. Kleio

Kleio Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780
    If anyone is wondering grand theft auto has built in ssao and hdao for ambient occlusion shaders so if a hbao+ flag could be found

20. gold333

gold333 Member

GPU:
    GTX670CUII oc'd
    If you do click comparisons for those Ghostbusters screens I posted you can see that the difference between no AO and HBAO is just the back of the jumpsuit and the tiniest of shadow on the arcade.

SSAO=1 screenshot however, has the above (as the HbAO flag is still active) but also now all tools etc on the table in the distance, walls, and the arcade machine are shadowed more realistically. (My own opinion) Also, the resolution is the same across the screenshots obviously but I see your point.

As for SGSSAA, ofcourse! It is the best AA available for this title and looks amazing. But unfortunately SGSSAA is a very expensive AA. On my GTX670 the fps falls to 50 or 55 in very hectic action scenes like trapping close to the trap. In this title I prefer no dips below 60fps ever :).

I now found that SMAA (using an injector and on ultra) in combination with 8xCSAA & 8xTrMSAA (but no FXAA) is actually very very close to SGSSAA and remains locked at 60fps at all times. (I had to turn off D3Doverrider and turn on vsync and trip. buf. In the inspector though. Also there is no point to 8xMSAA, as 8xCSAA looks identical in this title and helps pin 60fps.)

I still have to try FXAA (instead of 8xCSAA) incombination with SMAA like someone suggested and the reshader mentioned a couple of posts above. I'll see what I get.

Edit: console guys must read this and think what the h*ll man.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015