HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    No, that doesn't have to be the case at all.
    Forced ambient occlusion is very different in this regard compared to for example custom SLI or AA profiles.

2. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  3. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I don't believe Dolphin emulates the depth buffer, so it's most likely impossible to get it working. Just for ****s and giggles, I just tested it out and nothing worked. A couple flags killed performance and did nothing though lol. Unless they emulate a depth buffer, techniques like AO, motion blur, and depth of field won't work.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Well they'd HAVE to emulate it in some form or else you'd have issues like Polygon Wobble, perspective errors,etc(Think early 3D days, the Playstation 1 or Sega Saturn), it's just a matter of how it's implemented and how the driver can see it if you understand.

Even if you could use it, I don't think it can necessarily react with lighting in any of those correctly, even though effect would still be generalized to create a somewhat good effect.

There's also the problem of insertion on a per game basis for bleeding, which is something the developers may probably be able to work with.

I'd gander it's possible with some work, but not from us.

It'd be nice to have though if it worked properly. There are a lot of great games that could benefit from it.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Also I'd like to note that I almost found a semi-working flag for Serious Sam 3, but it has major problems of a different kind. First it was interleaving artifacts and then flickering on and off in an interleaved matter. But it looked and worked without the same issues as before, so it's SOME kind of progress, but it's just a slow tedious process of trial and error

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/110483
    Edit: I give up

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  6. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    The official DX10 AO flag "0x00080000" is once again complete garbage for Cryostasis.
    All it does is bleed through particles and smoke, without applying any actual AO effect :(

"0x00110000" applies a nice AO effect in all scenes, but bleeds even worse than the official flag.
    In DX9, "0x00000029" can be used but this only applies AO to very few scenes, so it isn't really worth using either.

So in short, forced AO can't be recommended at all in either DX9 or DX10 in this game:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10487240&postcount=6211

7. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Well yeah but it is far from the usual, kinda like you said lol. I don't think there is a single emulator that ReShade can get depth information out of for what it's worth. I'm far from an expert on emulation since I've never tried making an emulator :p

8. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Small update on HBAO+ in BioShock:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10162862&postcount=5684

"0x00000033" applies a stronger overall AO effect than "0x00000023", but unfortunately also flickers on and off depending on the viewing angle in some scenes.
    So the recommendation of "23" stands :)
    This is the only trouble-free flag in my testing.

Btw "2D" is nothing but trouble in this game with the crazy flickering around stairs, and I really think it would be worth retesting BioShock 2.
    My "spider sense" tells me, this is most likely also the case in the sequel.

9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC

I frickin hate this angle flickering, worst bug since they switched to HBAO+
    -_-

default TF2 & L4D2 (certain maps), default UT3 for UT3, Singularity with custom flags, MKKE with anything else then Mirrors Edge flag, tested GOW for stronger effect, but wait for it... angle flicker :p

Also it looks more frequent with newer 347.xx then 344.xx

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    This angle flickering is highly game dependent.
    But of course newer driver versions might slightly change the AO behavior of some profiles.

Did you try finding a custom AO flag for TF2?
    Any of the Source engine flags might do the job, such as 0x00000014, 0x00000008 or 0x0000000A.
    Alternatively 0x0000002D might also be worth a try in TF2.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Tnx, might give those a try.

But why make a proper TF2 flag, but then it doesnt work properly, this is what upsets me the most, I dont have all the time in the world to test each custom flag just so I could play normally, its nv job not ours ;D

13. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Well you must understand, that "0x00000009" has been in the driver for SSAO in TF2 since 2009 or so.
    Hence it makes sense, that this AO flag is not necessarily optimal since the change to HBAO+.
    But that is why we have this thread, isn't it? :)

14. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750Ti
    Stalker CS/CoP (DX10) anyone?

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Sorry I haven't added any of the updates yet.

Been busy, also procrastinating.

16. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Can someone UL their Valkyria Chronicles profile? For some reason Inspector doesn't show it which is very odd. It happened to me once before in some other game(Ys Origins) but then it fixed itself later, not sure how or why.

Unless the game has no profile in the first place and I need to make one manually... do I?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yup. Gotta make one AFIRemember.

Also: Well this sucks. I've noticed over the last few weeks that my GPU is running extremely hot. Idling around 50-60c and sometimes getting close to 100c under load.

So I took my PC apart today to clean it thinking it just needed new thermal paste.

Boy was I wrong. After I cleaned it off, I noticed a very very very small what seemed like Chip or hole in the heatsink where it makes contact with the GPU. I thought it was just dried thermal paste at first. Then I saw the GPU. It had the same exact marks.
    My heart sunk.

So I continued on my cleaning, reassemble everything (But with the plastic shroud removed and a separate 140mm fan helping blow air on it). And with 0% GPU usage, it has literally idled up to 98 ****ing celcius.

I can't afford a GPU right now, and while I could get a 980 and finance it... I was REALLY hoping to wait for the next higher end card that wasn't a TitanII.

I'm ****ed.

No more testing or playing games for a while I guess.

Time to undervolt, under clock and set adaptive mode.

So i'm gonna update what's left of the thread and that's what i'll have to do from now on.

18. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Damn, that's terrible.

19. evgenim

evgenim Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060 OC
    MrBonk, 980 best variant at now and for years forward.

20. robgrab

robgrab Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    I tried the "23" flag last night and was very pleased by the quality. I'm also downsampling from 3840x1620 to 2560x1080 with 4x SGSSAA and SweetFX. I really enjoy going back and exploring Rapture every so often. Just wish there was a way to get HD textures into that game.