HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    ^ You just need to remove the "http://" from the link and paste the rest like this "i.imgur.com/a7q11nm.jpg", we will be able to copy and paste it into to are address bar to see it.

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Like I said, I am aware of the issue.

Perhaps, try 1920x1080 (If you make sure AR scaling is set in NVCP it should just letterbox it) and see if anything happens.

3. Haftarun8

Haftarun8 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried 1920x1080 before work, and this time I got a massive framerate dive when turning on AO to "Quality", but there was no visual change compared to having no AO. Seems like it's maybe calculating it but just unable to display it for some reason? I can take updated comparative screenshots and try to get an fps counter in there to show you directly, but it'll have to wait til later tonight when I get home.

Where do people usually host images to show on here? I was using flickr but it'd be nice to just have a direct link to the original full res image that just opens in a browser window when people open the link. Thanks for all your help so far!

4. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I highly recommend abload.de for uploading images.
    It should serve most of your needs ;)

If "0x0000102B" is so problematic in FFXIV, perhaps it is best to remove it from the list for now?
    I think it is important to keep a certain standard in the AO bits we add to the list.
    Minor flickering or bleeding problems can be acceptable in some cases, but there should be a limit to what is added IMO.

Also I did some more AO testing in Outlast.
    I have now tested every single combination of DX9 AO bits in the driver, with and without SGSSAA.
    The only profiles which give reasonable results are "0x00000025" and "0x00000010".
    Unfortunately "26" still suffers from these AO "ghost effects", even without SGSSAA.
    But with "25" these problems are 99% eliminated throughout the whole game, as long as SGSSAA is kept disabled:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10205893&postcount=5811

I suggest we add both "0x00000010" and "0x00000025" to the AO list for Outlast, and just note in the description that "25" should not be used with SGSSAA.
    "25" produces an AO effect that is almost identical to "26", but is much less problematic.
    I'm now officially done with testing Outlast, for real this time :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

5. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I have tried abload.de but I find it annoying getting the direct link, it's in German as well so that doesnt help, unless of course you can read German.

Edit: I think I will change to abload.de, I just uploaded a screenshot of my desktop and abload.de looked better than imgur.

6. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  7. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I'm going to play around with the game and find out if maybe another setting affects this. (I may have changed settings when I tested myself)

Personally I use Minus to host images. Just need one that doesn't convert your PNGs

EDIT: I have gotten it to reliably work in the benchmark so far with out any issues,(So far like 29/30 times, the only issue when it was working was when alt-tabbing. Causing it to flicker from working to not working. Got it all jotted down in a .PSD file) so I need to dial it down to the variable that's causing the issue.

Within the character creator/benchmark it even works in borderless windowed, windowed. And only doesn't work when HDR is disabled.

Will have to test with actual game next.

Another interesting note maybe, is that I have a 2nd monitor connected? (My TV for actually playing the game) So in all my print screen shots, it's capturing the full resolution for one + the other. I wonder if somehow this is related?
    Edit2: hmm doesn't seem to be the case. I unplugged my other monitor and tested, still working.

Because it's working so far on my main monitor at both 1600x900 and 1920x1080.:stewpid:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  8. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Picpar.com doesn't compress images, and is incredibly easy and efficient to use.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Is working so far in actual game for me too, only have tested 768p so far though.

Need to tweak settings in game to see if anything messed with it. (Oddly enough too, don't remember if I even tested it or not. But it's working with Transparent Lighting quality=Normal as well. Guess only 1F is limited to that)

Edit: Yeah, nothing seems to be making it *NOT* work in the real game so far except for the "Enable HDR and improved rendering" option in the graphics settings.

Nothing else affects it at all. (And it's perfectly 100% temporally stable either so far. No flickering on and off or anything. I had to actually look at which specific areas would be AO'd too so I could tell when it is and isn't working. It's just that good.

:3eyes:

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah, it's even working just fine at 1920x1200 for me too with all settings at max, with no LoD/Occlusion stuff turned on, no gamma correction,no DoF. (And with afterburner OSD server having "ffxiv.exe" detection level to "none" with OSD support disabled and Setalth/modified d3d support disabled)

(didn't test real game with OSD .exe detection or OSD enabled yet, or windowed or borderless windowed. For example though, with gamma correction enabled and 4xSGSSAA enabled with 12C5 flag in the benchmark, the distortion is barely noticeable. But in the real game, if you are doing the same, the distortion is very very prominent. So there are some differences strangely enough)

Have you tried restarting your computer yet?

This is a long shot but try using "High Quality" For the AO Setting. That's what I have been using and didn't even stop to think that it may make a difference

Are you using an OSD or Afterburner server of some kind? In my testing using the in game print screen screenshot does indeed capture the AO effect.

For reference here's my game profile for inspector (but with AA and AO disabled)

http://img.techpowerup.org/140903/nvidia_20140903_031011.png

And screenshots

1920x1200 No AA No AO
    1920x1200 4xSGSSAA & 102B HBAO+ (Mind you the lighting is all dynamic in the game, so try to pinpoint the AO and ignore the shifting of the light. For example, under the rope on the ground and on my characters back, or by the hammer and pots on the ground just above my character. Or the cog on the ground as well.)

11. Haftarun8

Haftarun8 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    Wow, MrBonk, you're not kidding when you say you'll research something further! Thanks a ton for trying out all these situations with XIV. I wish I had more time to play and help out here with different setups. I'll try matching your inspector settings, and try using AO on High Quality to avoid any setting combination discrepancies. Seems like it may just be something weird on my end; perhaps just putting AO to High Quality will be the difference. I'll restart fresh beforehand as well. (Turns out I had an overlay program enabled from EVGA Precision but it wasn't displaying anything...that might still be causing a problem so I'll try to turn that off as well).

I'll use one of the suggested image upload sites this time and update my own findings for you this evening; I should have a few hours free to try this out. The game really does look fantastic with this enabled, I hope Nvidia works with them and includes it in the future DX11 client (and a suitable replacement for AA in case that client breaks the SGSSAA key).

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah well it's worth investigating and trying to figure out. I had a similar issue when I first discovered the flag. It was working all dandy and perfect. And then I don't know what changed but it didn't work. I dont' recall how I was testing either.

There's gotta be some variable as to when it detects everything as it needs that determines something.

13. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
  14. ze1t

ze1t Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    See now, i'm having a totally weird issue.

HBAO+ was working fine and dandy without issues when playing yesterday.

I fired it up tonight and now it's being applied improperly and bleeding through too strongly

Restart my PC and jump straight into ARR without opening any other programs other than my password manager and the issue disappears completely!

Yesterday

Today without rebooting and having used many programs Shot 2
    Today after reboot
    Today after reboot AO turned back off (So you can see that it is indeed working. The lighting conditions have changed so it's not applied the same as it was yesterday night when I tested)

See the vertical lines on the wall to the left and several objects and horizontal lines on the ground
    What changed? What causes this? It has to be a driver issue maybe detecting conflicting things between all of the various surfaces being processed by the GPU?

This isn't something that happens while playing the game. Only when having quit out of the game when done playing and starting it back up at some random point :3eyes:

I have the feeling that the DX11 patch will be disappointing. From the interviews it doesn't sound like they added much. The built in AO is complete crap(Has more flickering,temporal issues and aliasing with strong than the weak setting, but even the weak setting has a lot of aliasing issues), and is one of the things that certainly could be upgraded. (Don't get why they wouldn't. Same with AA)

Ugh, if ONLY I could end up at some event and talk to Naoki Yoshida myself about this stuff and present a printed document showing the information and pros/cons of adding in proper AA and HBAO+ and stuff and the issues we face as users doing this basically hacking it in through the driver and how good it compliments the game

16. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    The AO really bleeds badly through the volumetric fog in those BioShock 2 DX10 shots :(
    Does this also happen with BioShock 1 DX10?

Forgive me for saying this, but what is the big deal really?
    Why not just reduce "Transparent Lighting Quality" to Normal, and use the "0x0000001F" flag instead?

I have never played any of the FF games, but is there really such a big visual difference between "Normal" and "High" Transparent Lighting Quality?
    Personally I think always working HBAO+ is more important than slightly fancier lighting ;)
    I suspect it is something in the custom "0x000010XY" AO profiles that is causing this problem, but without more knowledge of the specific functionality of these AO bits it is difficult to troubleshoot the problem.

17. Haftarun8

Haftarun8 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    I suppose I could try it, but I don't like trying to force image quality improvements at the expense of other aspects of graphics. A lot of the transparent lighting elements are already bad enough as it is on High with all the dithering going on for faded objects. I'm not sure if that would worsen it further.

At any rate, I tried turning off EVGA Precision and any other screen overlay programs, restarting, and copying MrBonk's Inspector settings as closely as possible (I don't have the benchmark installed currently). One thing that might be a huge factor in this is that I'm using Windows 8.1 I just realized. MS tampered with a lot of crap compared to Win 7 so maybe it's just that?

The best I was able to do was to lower my fps to 1 according to the in-game fps counter in the system config menu (normally 60+fps except in large crowds) when turning HBAO+ to high quality, but seeing no visual trace of it whatsoever.

Here are some screens, which I know are dark to begin with, but it's an indoor environment thus isn't affected by a constantly changing day/night cycle for more consistent comparisons. The difference between No AO and in-game SSAO is perfectly clear to me. HBAO+ is non-existent still.

(the forum STILL won't let me even post incomplete links, saying I only have 5 posts so far and need 10 to post links or images. I'm using picpar so complete the links accordingly in your browser)

i.picpar.com/hGcb (In-game SSAO, 60+fps)
    i.picpar.com/iGcb (No AO, 60+fps)
    i.picpar.com/jGcb (HBAO+ on Very High, < 1 fps)

And finally my Inspector settings: i.picpar.com/kGcb.png

Other than SSAO, the in-game settings are default max on these, 1920x1200@60hz, frame limiter off

18. ze1t

ze1t Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    Yes. I tried all the 0x000X0000 flags which seem to work only for DX10 and haven't managed to find a better one. Can you suggest other flags for testing?

19. robgrab

robgrab Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Thanks for this! I was bummed thinking HBAO+ could only be used in DX9. I've been wanting to play these games using DX10 for better water effects but unfortunately I also use GeDoSaTo and SweetFX, which both still require DX9.

In other news I've updated my post on the DX9 flag for Bioshock 2 by changing the links for the image gallery to be consistent with the format eveyone else seems to be using.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    There is quite a big difference if you know what to look for (Water for example, goes from being crisp and clean to extremely blurry and having lots of temporal aliasing even with SGSSAA.). And when it works, it works just fine. (As I mentioned, simply resetting my PC makes it work fine) He mentioned he's using Win 8.1 so perhaps that may be the issue.

@Haftarun8 , frame limiter disabled and forcing vsync in Inspector? Any particular reason? Maybe try disabling vsync in inspector and reset the refresh cap to 60 maybe in game?

Long shot I know, maybe it is due to win8.1

Would you mind checking if 1F with Normal TLQ even works?