HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I use Photoshop to save them as JPGs, you can't really notice the difference, although I did use a slightly lower setting in the other pictures.

Original (5.96 MB)
    JPG (1.34 MB)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Oh, I was seeing the sharpening. Not the compression I guess.

/shrug

3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Interesting that forced AF only works "selectively" in Witcher 2.
    Suppose I will go back to some sharpening instead :(

4. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    I told you guys that it's due to the engine using some weird hybrid form of forward and deferred rendering, sadly it can't be helped without someone making custom shader with POM+AF like for Crysis.

5. tapioks

tapioks Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    RISEN 3 - TITAN LORDS - 0x00000009 - FLICKERING ISSUE

So I am trying the recommended 0x00000009 flag for Risen 3, and it works but it causes a once-per-second flicker on most of the shadows in the scene (not just the AO). I am guessing the individual who reported this flag was not facing the same issue, but I am unable to get rid of it myself.

I did remember to disable all native SSAO in the XML config file, and I tried running with and without vsync to see if that affected it, but unfortunately no. I also tried the 19 flag for a lark; this seemed to produce darker AO overall, but also suffers from the once-per-second flicker issue...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  6. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I haven't personally tried all the flags, but others have (not on this site). I tried most of the flags that generally behave differently in other games. I haven't tried messing with the settings in the game. That might be a good idea, although it would obviously be better if I could get it working with the game maxed out. Maybe I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the input.

7. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    On further testing I did run into this issue, but similarly to Risen 1 and 2, it only flickers for half a second under specific lighting/camera angle conditions.

8. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 580 Armor
    Try better in-game SSAO instead:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4893262&postcount=2269

9. tapioks

tapioks Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    Comment withdrawn ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    could be a resolution issue. try different aspect ratios and resolutions

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I have found a better HBAO+ flag "0x00000019" for Risen 2: Dark Waters.
    It applies a much stronger AO effect than "0x00000009", without any additional downsides.

I have included screenshot comparisons and all other necessary information in my original Risen 2 AO post from 3DCenter:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10178666&postcount=75

Perhaps someone should try this new flag in Risen 3?
    I don't have R3 yet, so can't do it myself :)

12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 580 Armor
    In Risen 3, it flickers and looks much worse than in-game SSAO at 4 in general.

13. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    Just tested in Risen 3, sadly same issue as 09, flickering under specific camera angle and lighting conditions.

Edit:
    Also tested it in Risen 2 and it indeed offers a better effect than 09, and doesn't flicker in Risen 2. So the flickering issue is isolated to only Risen 3.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  14. tapioks

tapioks Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    I can confirm that for RISEN 3, the native AO set to '4' in the XML is presently the best option by far. It is not HBAO, so there is still a bit of 'unnatural dark halo' around things on occasion, but it is very SMOOTH and FLICKER-FREE and NOISE-FREE(!), and seems to perform just as good as '3' in the XML. I really can't understand why the developers didn't include SSAO 4 as the default for 'Ultra' shadows in this game...!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  15. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    You might want to enable "AllowBlur=1" as the name might suggesting something different than what it actually is. AllowBlur=1 enables hit effects, so that when you get hit by an arrow for example the edges of the screen will get blurred by a radial blur effect, indicating you were hit. The same goes for explosions and similar things. Basically it's responsible for visual hit effects you receive. I'd say vignette is undersirable as well but that's personal preference like DoF and Bloom I guess.
    Here's Nvidia's screenshot that shows the effect after Geralt steps into a bear trap: http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/guides/witcher-2-tweak/9_1-BlurEffects-On.jpg

I have to disagree with the bit about Sharpening being the only way to get sharp textures in Witcher 2.
    First of all, Witcher 2's built-in sharpen filter is WAY overdone ruins the IQ. It may look better when downsampling from 4k, but I tried it with 1440p and it looked just as horribly oversharpened as it is in 1080p.
    Secondly, Ubersampling also gives a 2x (maybe 4x, but to me it looks like 2x) AF effect for ground textures making them look considerably less poopy.

It's also worth noting that Ubersampling is NOT a Downsampling/Supersampling technique. Instead it renders each frame 8 times and uses some complex algorithm to blend all the results into a single frame, giving it AA and AF effect. It also ignores the Sharpen setting (whether you have it set to 0 or 1 is ignored by Ubersampling) and acts as if it was on, but due to the frame merging the end result are much crisper and cleaner textures without any of the sharpening artifacts.
    I'll edit this post with screenshots tomorrow to showcase this.

Edit:
    Here's Nvidia's own screenshots to compare:
    Ubersampling Off: http://international.download.nvidi...des/witcher-2-tweak/16_1-Ubersampling-Off.jpg
    Ubersampling On: http://international.download.nvidi...ides/witcher-2-tweak/16_2-Ubersampling-On.jpg

And here's mine in another location with my graphic settings (backed by SMAA from SweetFX and my own color correction as I found Witcher 2 to be far too overcontrasted and oversaturated, especially compare to Witcher 1 and Witcher 3 color palettes).
    Ubersampling On (Native 1080p): http://i.cubeupload.com/VqLZzW.jpg
    Ubersampling Off, Sharpen On (Downsampled from 1620p): http://i.cubeupload.com/vLOXbG.jpg
    Ubersampling Off, Sharpen On (Native 1080p): http://i.cubeupload.com/mSGITb.jpg
    Ubersampling Off, Sharpen Off (Downsampled from 1620p): http://i.cubeupload.com/6cEM5D.jpg
    Ubersampling Off, Sharpen Off (Native 1080p): http://i.cubeupload.com/6JzOjy.jpg

See how terrible the sharpening looks, especially at native 1080p? It becomes better the higher the resolution, but unless somoene is downsampling from at least 1620p I don't recommend using that sharpening filter. You can also see that Ubersampling clearly gives AF affect more akin to 2x rather than 4x as CDPR claims.
    It's also worth noting that Nvidia seems to have taken all their screens with Sharpen filter off.

And lastly, driver FXAA is very blurry, I don't understand why would you use it, especially since you complained about blurryness with SGSSAA flag. Personally I recommend using SMAA instead, SweetFX 1.5.1 works fine.

16. octiceps

octiceps Banned

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Actually, Ubersampling completely disables the sharpening filter, and there's no way to have them both enabled at the same time. So while terrain textures are sharpened by the AF applied by Ubersampling, everything else is actually blurred due to the lack of the sharpening filter. It's really unfortunate that you can only have one or the other but not both, so some textures will always remain blurred.

Example:
    Ubersampling disabled (sharp characters and tents, blurry ground/rocks and tree trunks)
    Ubersampling enabled (blurry characters and tents, sharp ground/rocks and tree trunks)

I personally don't mind the additional texture noise caused by the sharpening filter and I think it does a nice job removing the blur on almost all textures. I would much rather have sharpening than Ubersampling because the latter only sharpens the ground textures while leaving everything else blurry. Driver-forced 16x AF and downsampling together sharpen up the ground, rock, and tree textures affected by Ubersampling and have lower performance impact.

And you are right about driver-forced FXAA being blurry. It's OK for titles such as BF3 and BF4 whose built-in FXAA is much, much worse, but IMO there's absolutely no reason to force FXAA or inject FXAA/SMAA w/LumaSharpen in this game when its built-in MLAA is far superior to anything else.

AA disabled
    AA enabled

As you can see, it does a nice job of removing jaggies and causes zero blur, and actually increases texture sharpness. Once again, this is due to the sharpening filter. AA on enables the sharpening filter, and AA off disables it.

So to sum up, I think the best IQ is obtained with:
    In-game AA enabled
    Sharpening filter enabled
    Driver-forced 16x AF (doesn't affect ground textures)
    Downsampling (to sharpen ground textures not affected by above)

17. octiceps

octiceps Banned

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    The mouse smoothing (not acceleration, as there is none) is awful in The Witcher 2. I tried your suggestion as well as adding the line MouseSmoothness=0 per the PCGamingWiki guide but it didn't do anything to reduce or eliminate the mouse smoothing for me.

18. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Thanks for all the nice suggestions, guys :)

As "octiceps" pointed out, I don't find the sharpening in Witcher 2 that bad at very high resolutions.
    At 3840x2400, it blends very nice with driver FXAA.
    Sharpening serves two purposes in this case; it compensates for the blurriness of FXAA and functions as a semi-replacement for real AF.
    I don't think it is worth using driver 16xAF, since it does almost nothing to improve texture clarity/sharpness.

Maybe driver FXAA is a little blurry in Witcher 2, but with sharpening enabled and 2x2 downsampling it is barely noticeable IMO.
    Ingame MLAA is kinda insufficient to get rid of all the temporal aliasing.
    It might look fine in a screenshot, but is lacking in motion.

In general I think driver FXAA provides higher IQ in most games than injected SMAA/FXAA.
    It might be a little more blurry than these options, but with 2x2 downsampling that is not really an issue ;)

Forcing SGSSAA is extremely blurry in Witcher 2, whether you enable sharpening or not.
    There is no comparison between this and downsampling+FXAA.
    I can assure you, that Witcher 2 is NOT blurry at all with the settings I described.
    In fact the game is very nice and sharp.
    But you have to set your "User.ini" settings exactly like detailed in my original post to get the full effect:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4890875&postcount=702

And of course I know what "Blur Effects" is doing in Witcher 2, I just really dislike this effect :)
    I don't need some silly blur option to tell me when I'm hit.

19. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    Does the witcher 2 not support AF? Even with GeDoSaTo at 4k and NVCP set to 16XAF, it only looks like trilinear filtering.

20. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    Read the thread, we've been discussing it for past 2 pages. It doesn't sadly. Only certain elements get affected, but ground textures are never affected by it.