HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I didn't find any references to it so I guess nobody ever tried HBAO+ in Witcher 2? The game already has SSAO implemented so it might be possible. I'm gonna try it today... after I figure out how to do it.

Can I change the flags in NV inspector on the fly and see the changes applied or do I need to close and start a game everytime I try to test a different flag?

Thanks. Driver forced AF works in TW2? I remember reading once that it didn't.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Ok finally got around to it

- Binary Domain -

General Information:

Binary Domain is a strange game when it comes to AA and AO and other stuff.

When AA was first tinkered around with, with BD, either it worked but with major issues. Or it wouldn't at all based on your resolution.
    (IE: Forced AA would work at 1080p, but not 900p. )

This trend continues with HBAO+, bizarrely so.
    I've compiled a list of standard and non standard 16:9 resolutions showing whether it works with HBAO+ or not.
    || Working Resolutions||
    • 1280x720
    • 1920x1080
    • 2048x1152
    • 2560x1440
    • 3200x1800
    || Non-Working Resolutions||
    • 1360x765
    • 1366x768
    • 1600x900
    • 2049x1152
    • 2240x1260
    • 2400x1350
    • 2496x1404
    • 2880x1620

Another important piece of information is, that when downsampling beyond 1080p, the secondary AO system built into the game that isn't able to be turned off becomes worse in quality. (This also applies to the SSAO you can turn on and off. So DO NOT use it)

It basically turns into just flickering blobs of shadows and it looks pretty bad, but is livable (Because the only way to get decent AA is to downsample)
    Ex picture (A downsampled screenshot)

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    Working Flag: 0x00000018

Screenshots:
    No AO
    SSAO
    18 HBAO+

The working conundrum when it comes to AO&AA:

The major issue here, is that since forcing AA doesn't work properly.
    Our only option is Downsampling combined with Post Process AA to get decent AA&IQ.

The complicated part being that you have 1 of 2 options.

A.) Use driver downsampling with one of the working resolutions (4k might work, but I am unable to test so) combined with the built in FXAA, Driver FXAA or injected SMAA.

Cons: Limited to Bilinear Filtering, 1 level scaling (meaning anything beyond 2x2 your native res will probably not look very good), limited by what your monitor can do (Which ties into the previous). Performance on the higher resolutions can be hit and miss. (at least on my system)

Pros: You get semi decent IQ,AA & HBAO+

B.) You can use GeDoSaTo for superior AA&IQ, (Only binarydomain.exe needs to be added to the whitelist, and you need to edit the game resolution via /Binary Domain/Savedata/UserCFG.txt and set it read only)
    The caveat being that any kind of forced AA or AO does not work with GeDoSaTo

Cons:
    Driver AA and AO do not work.

Pros: Superior scaling filter choices like Bicubic and Lanczos(If you like that), multi-level downsampling so you can downsample near infinitely, superior AA&IQ. Outstanding performance, on my 570, I can do 4k with FXAA Downsampled with bicubic AND maintain a rock solid 30FPS. (Upwards of 60FPS in some places)

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Sorry for the late reply. But I honestly have no idea, sometimes the logic in the functions doesn't make much sense without any insight into how the game itself works. (And there may not always be an applicable function for any given game given the general custom nature).

You did try all of the official flags right? And with PSO2 at it's highest settings?

In FFXIV for example, AO flags work differently depending on a singular settings "Transparent lighting quality"

This is related to alpha effect resolution, water resolution , alpha test resolution and the like.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    OK, OP is updated.

6. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    You can't force AF in Witcher 2, forcing it with drivers does absolutely nothing.
    Ubersampling gives you an effect compareable to about 2x AF and 4x MSAA, but it's ridiculously intensive (to the point that even my 780 Ti can't handle it at 60 FPS in 1080p with Ubersampling enabled).

Generally Witcher 2's engine (RED Engine) is very ****ty, so far it looks like they fixed the issues in RED Engine 3 though (the one being used for Witcher 3).

Also you can't really force good HBAO+ in Witcher 2 I'm afraid. I tried half the flags that are available in inspector, and like GuruKnight said, it either just reduced GPU usage with no effect, or very subtle (nigh invisible) while also dropping framerate. The only one that actually "worked" was the World of Warcraft one (0x000D0001) but it was WAY too heavy and bled like crazy, so it's out of the question as well.

Generally, AF, SGSSAA and AO are probably out of the question in Witcher 2 due to the ****ed up rendering the game uses (it uses a hybrid of deferred and forward rendering, which I suspect is the main cause of all the problems and AF not working no matter what).

7. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    Risen 3 - Titan Lords

0x00000009 - HBAO+

No AO - http://i.cubeupload.com/5pGffn.jpg
    HBAO+ - http://i.cubeupload.com/GCef9U.jpg

Note:
    You need to disable the game's SSAO in Risen 3/Data/Ini/ConfigDefault.xml by changing all instances of SSAOQuality="" to SSAOQuality="0"

Game uses same engine as Risen 2, therefore same flag as Risen 2 works here.

8. johnchaser

johnchaser Member

GPU:
    Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
    Flag:
    0x0000002E (marked as GuildWars2 in "Inspector")
    General Information:
    Noticable even through smoke, fog, etc.
    Tested on "21 feb. 2007 version"(as the version.txt said), "Max settings" ingame, no ingame AA, downsampled by GPU 3200x1800 -> 1920x1080, forced "Aniso x16" from profile + custom SweetFX build, driver 340.52
    Pictures
    ON http://i59.tinypic.com/2h5lmw1.jpg
    OFF http://i61.tinypic.com/2eyxr3d.jpg

PS Sorry if this info was posted, just can`t find it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    You sure you can't force AF in TW2? Some games have a setting in their profile that disallows it (like Far Cry 3), but changing that allows it

10. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    Yes I am sure, it's literally impossible. Try yourself if you don't believe me.
    It used to be possible in RED Engine 1 version of the game (before Enhanced Edition), but on RED Engine 2 (which is what Enhanced Edition is using) it's flat out impossible.
    Check google as well, it's a very well known issue with the game.

11. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    It seems to work for me.

Off
    On

[​IMG]

I am using the Enhanced Edition.

12. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    It doesn't, only floorboards are affected, ground is not, see here:
    http://i.cubeupload.com/ZOLoTv.jpg

Same goes for all ground textures in the game, it looks absolutely awful.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    dafuq.

What did the EE even bring to the PC version? It didn't bring over the graphical/texture upgrades from the 360 version right?

There's no engine setting for AF in TW2?

Is it possible to run the old version for comparison?

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080

Do all flags go through fog/smoke like this? This looks more like something that is just applying a drop shadow to everything rather than AO.

15. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    EE did add all the same things that were in the X360 version (new cutscenes, improved graphics, new textures, new quests).
    It's just that the X360 version has color filters disabled for more FPS, while PC version has them enabled, which is kinda ****ty since they ruin lighting.
    There's an ancient ENB made specially for Witcher 2 that disables the color filters, but doesn't work with Ubersampling (only way to get some form of AF) and breaks specular mapping.

Anyway it's not possible sadly, the engine simply doesn't support it.

Remember Crysis 1 having identical issue with POM + AF?
    It's the same here, except this game doesn't even support POM, only bump mapping. And there's no way to disable bump mapping obviously (which would fix AF not working, just like disabling POM in Crysis 1 made AF work).
    The only way to get AF working would be for someone to make new shaders that would support both Bump (and maybe even POM) and AF at the same time, just like Crysis had such fanmade for it.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Too bad it's not a mod someone could easily make.

Too bad we couldn't simply ask CDPR to take a little time to make an update to enable it :(

17. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    It works on more than just wood.

ON
    OFF

It's weird that it doesn't effect the ground though.

18. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    Half of what you circled is not affected, that's just lighting change from the clouds moving, yes the game actually has moving clouds that cast real-time shadows.

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    No, those are actual differences in definition in a lot of parts. Not simple lighting changes.

Kindly upload .PNG versions instead of JPGs. Compression affects it as well

20. Canzah

Canzah Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    Even still, very little is affected, and the most important part that is ground textures is not affected. Same problem as Crysis 1, but unlike Crysis 1 it will never be solved since we'll never get a POM + AF shader for Witcher 2.
    Someone who's knowledgeable about this could try making one with the REDKit though.