HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    In general forcing AO in DX10/11 is more problematic in several games.
    There are fewer combinations of AO bits to choose from, and I have experienced more cases of artifacts/bleeding/poor SLI scaling etc. in DX11 than in DX9 :)

Btw I have now updated my Far Cry 2 HBAO+ post:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10133667&postcount=5604

It now contains comparison screenshots demonstrating the AO bleeding through distant trees with "2D", as well as screenshots of the "22" water bug.
    IMO the bleeding isn't too bad, and "2D" is certainly still worth using ;)

2. remicius

remicius Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Ti
    thanks for the fc2 flag

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Thanks I can definitely see it now. Not a huge thing, but an issue none the less.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I figured out that "Transparent Lighting Quality" needs to be set to "Normal" in order for HBAO+ with 1F to work with Final Fantasy XIV. Otherwise it just bleeds through the character and doesn't apply.

This also suggests other flags may/probably will work with the "High" setting

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I have looked through most of the pages of this AO thread, and found a few "unfinished" contributions:

Maybe somebody can test both "0x00000022" and "0x00000023" in AC2?
    Would be nice to have this issue settled.

Judging from these screenshots, "0x00060000" seems to be the best driver HBAO+ solution for AC4.
    Perhaps someone could test this flag further, with and without ingame AO enabled?

Forcing AO can cause less than optimal GPU usage in certain games.
    But sometimes there is an alternative AO flag, which solves this problem.
    Please try flags like "0x00000020", "0x00000021", "0x00000024" and a few other of the more common UE3 DX9 variants.
    It would be nice to have "BulletStorm" tested extensively.
    Then we can at least add it to the "not recommended" AO list.

Just make a few "dummy" posts in some other thread until you guys reach 10 posts, and then make screenshot comparisons ;)
    Also "tapioks", which other AO flags did you try in "Remember Me"?

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Apparently new driver has added Dark Souls II profile for HBAO+. Would anyone mind testing this, at varying resolutions? (ie: 1600x900,1920x1080,3840x2160, and other non standard resolutions)

Durante has apparently tested it, but says it flickers on and off.

In light of my recent discovery with these kinds of issues, I think it should be tested at various aspect ratios and resolutions to figure it out.

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Also the 3 within the flag, the 2nd one, is important because within the driver this function this checks the viewport width against the primary FB. Which is what could be potentially maybe causing issues with some resolutions.

I'd also REALLY love to have someone who hasn't upgraded to the new beta driver yet to test 0x00000033 and see if it works too.:) (Is important k thx)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  8. tapioks

tapioks Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    For Remember Me, I tried EVERY AO flag that works for DX9 API (i.e. in the 0x000000YZ format). The only one that really works without issue is the Hawken flag. The Mass Effect flag works (with some minor issues as I described), and the Unreal Tournament III flag 'works' except for that it flickers on and off frequently.

I have already captured a couple screenshots, will post a few more posts in the forums here so that I can add screens in a subsequent post.

9. tapioks

tapioks Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    On a side note, does anyone know a good flag for Lost Planet 3? I know that Lost Planet 2 is on the 'Don't Try' list, but I see no reference for LP3?

10. tapioks

tapioks Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    Ok, updating my post with some screenshots:

REMEMBER ME

SUBTLE / DISTANT 0x0000002F (Hawken)

The Hawken flag (0x0000002F) works very well for the game. The only problem is that the AO 'disappears' very occasionally at certain angles, though this is generally not an issue and I recommend this flag. This flag also renders the AO effect far into the distance.

STRONG / NEAR 0x00000020 (Mass Effect)

The Mass Effect flag (0x00000020) also works for the game, but with a couple minor quibbles:

1) The AO is rather dark, and does not render far into the distance. Some might prefer this?

2) When entering a new area, the AO will 'lock' for a moment and be 'out of phase' with the rest of the game image. This only occurs occasionally and for a very brief moment; walking ahead a step or two returns the AO to normal functionality. It can be a bit of a nuisance in some parts of the game where several small areas are stitched together.

NO SSAO
    [​IMG]

HAWKEN FLAG 0x0000002F
    [​IMG]

MASS EFFECT FLAG 0x00000020(Note that all distant AO is lost, and foreground AO is dark)
    [​IMG]

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Very thorough work then :)
    I just had to make sure you tried everything.
    Some people on these forums tend to only try a couple AA/AO flags and then give up ;)

Regarding Lost Planet 3, I don't own the game but it runs on a DX9 UE3 engine.
    This means one of the usual UE3 flags might work, such as "10", "20", "21", "24", "2F", "30" etc.

12. tapioks

tapioks Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    Cheers!

A bit of poking around I found that the Hawken flag (2F) also works for Lost Planet 3, though have not taken screenshots and such yet. I have also not tried any other flags yet; just realized that Remember Me and Lost Planet 3 are both UE3 games and... voila1

In general, it also seems that 2F performs very well with regard to FPS impact. This is across all games for which it works (all UE games).

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'm curious. Try 0x0000007F ,0x0000003F, 0x000000AF, 0x000004AF,0x000000E6, 0x00000E20 and see what happens

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  14. tapioks

tapioks Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    Ok, just beat the game today, but will give them a go.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Ok COD4 extra custom AO flags dont work, all produce this see-through smoke effect.

- the least visible was MW2, but still doing it..
    Although I tested only AO- H.quality.

As for Bullet storm,
    sorry but I dont have it installed anymore, maybe that other guy will test some more..

16. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Sounds interesting about COD4 ;)
    Could you please make screenshot comparisons of "0x00000028", "0x00000008" and "0x00000004" with both "Quality" and "High Quality" AO mode?
    And also both with and without smoke present ;)
    Any improvement on this "see-through effect" is most welcome.
    Essentially you are just sacrificing a little "AO strength" to reduce this side effect, which is a good trade-off IMO.

17. Zyrusticae

Zyrusticae Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 4GB (x2)
    So no one's tried to find an HBAO+ bit for XCOM? I'm surprised, considering it's a UE3 game. I'll keep testing for myself, but I'll admit my patience is kind of limited.

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    We all have our limits on patience. And it gets highly close to the limits when it's really just a few of us really doing most of the work.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Ok I will test when I have some more time.. Probably through the weekend :)

20. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I completely agree on this.
    A few people can only do so much, no matter how experienced and skillful those particular people may be ;)
    If everybody helped out more, we could build an truly amazing HBAO+ list.
    Personally I am getting close to said "patience limit".

Btw, I have now finished my HBAO+ testing for Crysis and Crysis: Warhead.
    It turns out "0x0000000D" is the only acceptable solution in these games.
    It applies a nice and subtle HBAO+ effect both indoors and outdoors, without any noticeable bleeding or flickering issues.
    Every other flag had one problem or the other.

Here is my final HBAO+ report for reference purposes in the list:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10253003&postcount=87

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014