HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I found a nice HBAO+ flag "0x00000018" for the DX9 modes of Crysis and Crysis: Warhead.
    Here are some comparison screenshots at 1920x1200 with 8xSGSSAA forced using "0x000002C1":

Crysis

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Crysis: Warhead

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These screenshots are taken using the settings, tweaks and mods described in my Crysis SGSSAA guide from 3DCenter:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9796209&postcount=4351

Edit 11/6-2014

It turns out, the "0x00000018" HBAO+ flag causes certain artifacts on some levels in Crysis, so using it can't really be recommended :(
    Furthermore it doesn't work in indoor scenes.
    "0x0000000A" works in both indoor and outdoor scenes, but also causes artifacts.
    This means, there are no real good options for forced HBAO+ in Crysis :(

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Someone finally found a Crysis HBAO+ flag? I AM MUCH EXCITE.

TY!

The SSAO in Crysis was great for the time but so terrible now days!

3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    tried FFXiV ( win 8.1 ) but it won't work at all , help if possible

4. airshiraz

airshiraz Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 970
    tanx for crysis flag

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No idea :( Sorry.

I only have W7U.

But I may soon be reinstating my FFXIV account to play, so I will definitely test myself if I do!

6. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    thanx man

looks like it's a windows 8.1 problem somehow because Killer is dead isn't working like it should

edit: it's windows 8.1 no doubt about it , time to install windows 7

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  7. inkscape

inkscape Member

GPU:
    MSI N760 TF OC 2GB
    Windows 8.1 has many problems with games in DX9 & DX10. It was made specifically to fully support DX11 and it's specific features to DX11.2.

What specifically are you trying to do with the game on Win8.1? I'm running win 8.1 so maybe i can try to help.

8. inkscape

inkscape Member

GPU:
    MSI N760 TF OC 2GB
    I have found a decent HBAO+ working flag for Need For Speed: World.
    It works pretty nicely for me. Can see it through smoke and such things though, also small flickering in the garage when selecting.
    I'm using it with a ENB graphic mod (to give more depth and vibrance) and 4xSGSSAA.

The best flag I found to work overall is the "Star Wars: The Old Republic" flag (0x0000002B)

On: Link

Off: Link

Settings: Link

-------------
    Update after July 14th, 2015 (End Date of NFSW)
    R.I.P Need For Speed World

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    tried HBAO+ on FF14 an Killer is Dead but nothing changed

10. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    How is HBAO+ flag inside nV drivers' profile related to operating system is beyond me.

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    i have no idea

installed win7 again and boom HBAO+ works

[​IMG]

12. inkscape

inkscape Member

GPU:
    MSI N760 TF OC 2GB
    Well, the reason is because how Win 8.1 is, it has a horrible support for Dx9 & Dx10. Which is why most people cant get sweetfx to work without eFX or the radeon tool thing.
    The way the directX drivers work are completely different in Win 7/8 vs Win 8.1.

therefor, the nvidia drivers will use directx files to force the HBAO+ into games. Which those directx files are completely designed differently. Remember, nv inspector hasnt been updated in a long time so it wasnt updated to support win 8.1. It was designed for use under Win7.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  13. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    NVIDIA Inspector has nothing to do with why forced HBAO+ apparently doesn't work in Windows 8.1 in some games.
    This application simply exposes existing driver features.
    The only reason it hasn't been updated in a while, is because basic driver functionality hasn't changed in a long time ;)
    The problem must somehow lie in the OS itself, preventing the settings in the NV driver profiles from being executed properly at game launch.

Btw I updated my Crysis HBAO+ post:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4834967&postcount=521

It turns out, the "0x00000018" HBAO+ flag causes certain artifacts on some levels in Crysis, so using it can't really be recommended
    Furthermore it doesn't work in indoor scenes.
    "0x0000000A" works in both indoor and outdoor scenes, but also causes artifacts.
    This means, there are no real good options for forced HBAO+ in Crysis :(

14. inkscape

inkscape Member

GPU:
    MSI N760 TF OC 2GB
    False. Nvidia drivers use directx files to give games a z-buffer. Without it, it wouldnt render HBAO+ or it would render the AO as far as you can see in the game.
    The nvidia drivers wouldnt do much to a d3d app without d3d drivers. Nvidia inspector simply just gives a control setting, not a full override.

I''m guessing you like to feel like the smart one on this forum? Quite seems like it... But often you dont seem to understand what the drivers do, how they work, along with windows 8.1.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    What kind of artifacts exactly? The SSAO built in has artifacts too, so it may be worth over that.

16. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Bad enough not to use these flags ;)
    It is difficult to describe exactly, but what looks like a brief "ghost image" of certain image elements.
    And I already checked, that it has nothing to do with SLI or forced SGSSAA.

On a different note, I think it is time to do a little "clean-up" of the HBAO+ list.
    Many flags have now been added, some with more issues than others.
    To keep the general "quality" of the AO list up to a certain standard, I think it would be a good idea to remove certain problematic flags from the list.
    Or at least move them to the "not recommended" section instead.

The games in question are:

Alan Wake (0x0000002D)
    Causes problems akin to forced SGSSAA in Dead Island without the TF2 AA fix.
    Bleeds through certain image elements.

Dead Space 2 (0x00000026)
    Flickers on and off very often, causes problems with lighting on "High"

Far Cry 2 (0x0000002D)
    Bleeds through distant smoke, and in general makes mountains and grass look ugly IMO.
    Causes additional aliasing on grass, even with 8xSGSSAA forced.

Mafia 2 (0x00000018)
    Bleeds through smoke, and flickers on and off when moving away/towards objects/walls etc.
    Ingame SSAO setting does a good job :)

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I haven't seen such issues in Alan Wake and no one else has bothered to confirm said issues. So I can't agree.

I looked over your FC2 pictures again and don't see an issue. So additional pictures would be appreciated of said issues. Or else I will test on my own and determine myself.

And we already know DS2 has problems on High.

18. tapioks

tapioks Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    Updated post below...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  19. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Turbo 24G
    Does this only work if you set it to Quality or High Quality? I think i tried this with Performance and it didnt look like yours at all... I'll try the higher settings when i get home from work, lol. I'm on win8.1 not sure if that affects it

Also yea i use sweetfx film grain, gaussian, and a tiny amount of chromatic abberation, i may upload my settings eventually because i really like how it looks. The aliasing in the game doesnt even bother me most of the time now.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    W8.1 may cause problems. Performance WILL look worse almost all of the time and may have more issues