HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    Of course, I get it! I also suspect that the geforce experience overlay may be causing this problem. I will probably have to install a clean version of the graphics driver to be sure.

Tried the Dark Souls Remastered and the flag 0x00140000 worked without any issues other than needing a few tweaks to the effect itself. No bleeding or flickering, just completely stable HBAO+ @1920x1080 playing offline. I'm mentioning this because I believe that Sekiro uses the same engine yet it does behave very differently. ;/

I think Dark Souls 3 should also behave differently but I need to test.

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well if you get something working in any of those examples well. Even with modification. Please do post and i'll add them.

3. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    01 00 00 01 A3 70 97 0F 00 00 00 00 - I used these values to have HBAO+ working without major issues on DkS Remastered. Tested only with 16:9 resolutions. The built-in AO works really well and blends well with the lighting system. That's why I won't bother tweaking the flag further for proper HBAO+ effect.

NO AO
    AO
    HBAO+

NO AO
    AO
    HBAO+

4. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    Is it not possible to force HBAO+ while using DXVK? I'm using it to improve performance in Alan Wake which is quite unoptimized (and the Remaster didn't change much on that aspect), but then I lose the injected AO...

5. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    0x00060000 is broken for Alien: Isolation...

After a lot of time spent testing different values, I finally got a decent HBAO+ for this game. I intend to play the whole game again to test, but after several preliminary tests I'm very optimistic.
    There's some really minor flickering (funny that it doesn't affect the whole scene, only some small objects or random scene geometry), which is almost imperceptible (99.9% of the time is stable) and zero bleeding. For my taste, these values fit perfectly.

00 90 02 09 A5 50 96 2F
    00 00 00 00

"90" and "02" - these two bits made all the difference, I was very lucky in this one...

A5 50 96 2F is the effect parameter from Dark Souls II official flag.

36 90 00 01 A5 50 96 2F 00 00 00 00 - Using these bits is possible to "debug" and tweak the effect because it causes a lot of bleeding, you can press "Esc" while ingame and have fun!

Driver version: 497.29
    File edited: nvwgf2um.dll

NO AO
    INGAME HDAO
    INGAME SSAO
    HBAO+

EDIT:
    Noticed some major issues where AO bleeds during cutscenes and found some areas where it turns on/off a lot and also breaks some decals. It needs more testings unfortunately!

EDIT 2:
    I couldn't find a way to solve the flickering and corruption issues without introducing bleeding. Using 1A 93 02 09 completely solved the flickering but introduced the good old bleeding issues. Thankfully the HUD and menus are not affected. Volumetric lighting, particles and other effects such as smoke are well affected and completely breaks the immersion!

https://abload.de/img/alienisolationscreensf6kcz.png

Man, how sad... I just wanted NVIDIA to release detailed documentation regarding HBAO+ injection methods within the drivers. Well, one can only dream...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Thanks for the testing. I'll update the spreadsheet soon with your stuff!
    The drivers don't have any built in functionality for this stuff to work in Vulkan, same goes for AA. (You can check the Serious Sam games for example, you can enhance the MSAA in every backend except Vulkan. Which is a shame).
    Sucks because DXVK is pretty darn useful for some games. It's the only way i've been able to play PSO2 with a stable framerate/Vsync since they released New Genesis. When I played Dead Space 2 last year, I had to switch to DXVK half way through the game because of some nasty stuttering issues that I couldn't get smoothed out in DX9. 100% stutter free with DXVK. It also fixed a repeatable crash I was getting over and over early on as well. (And this was on my Windows 7 drive, thinking the game would be more stable on the older OS. I can't imagine how it is on WIndows 10 lol)

Markie likes this.
  7. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    God of war AO turns on/off when using "Original" preset. Using "High" preset fix the issue.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Interesting to see a game's own built in AO with such a glitch :p

You know, it just occurred to me with Nvidia basically having their own version of Reshade with Freestyle and all that junk WHY haven't they added HBAO+ to it???
    That'd get me to use GFE finally TBH.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  9. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    Yeah, this freestyle stuff can't even get proper depth information to inject SSAO to begin with, I tried some games and none of them allowed PP effects that required depth info...
    Original ReShade injector has access to depth buffers without any issues!

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    That's interesting because aren't they touting their new post process ray tracing freestyle shader? If that's like the Reshade one it would need to have depth access wouldn't it? It's a screen space effect but it still needs depth info, or am I missing something?
    Seems like a huge missed opportunity from Nvidia..as usual.

11. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    It probably won't have the same game support as Reshade Standalone. Or is it dependent on some other factor that I haven't figured out yet.

12. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    I've updated my Silent Hill 2 post with some additional information related to the fog issues.
    Unfortunately it is not yet possible to use driver forced HBAO+, but it can help those who want to add some kind of AO without compromising the experience too much.

13. Boliks

Boliks New Member

GPU:
    Ryzen 9 5900X
    Why was this thread unpinned?

14. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    No matter what I do, I cannot get HBAO+ to work on Assassin's Creed Director's Cut (Steam). I've done everything in Nvidia Inspector correctly, double and triple-checked already. I'm using the latest version of Windows 10 and up-to-date Nvidia drivers, and tried it with the DX9 and DX10 versions of the game.

@MrBonk Could you give me a little help?

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Hm. Hard to say what could be the issue. Are you using 768p as your display resolution like mentioned in the AA thread? It's possible the game may not like that since it's not a true 16:9. Can you test a normal 16:9 resolution to check?

I don't own that game, but I can probably buy it to try and help troubleshoot if need be.

Markie likes this.

16. Markie

Markie Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    Spot on! That's exactly what was happening, I don't know how I didn't think of it. Tried a true 16:9 resolution (1440p) and it worked. Thanks.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ok, you may want to try perhaps 1360x765 or 2048x1152 set as a custom resolution if your panel is 768p native with "No scaling 1:1" set in NVCP. These are true 16:9 resolutions and is what I used often when I gamed a lot on my 768p TV.

Markie likes this.
  18. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB
    Hey there! Long time.

Did you know Serious Sam 2 recently received an official update (less than a year ago)? They even introduced a completely new weapon! I'm trying out the game again right now. Unfortunately, there's no setting for ambient occlusion in the game, so I'll test forcing it through Inspector. I was wondering if you still have your Uzi-fix on your system or available for download somewhere, since I'm almost certain the exact same glitch will pop up in this latest version. Also, I'm not yet exactly sure where to test this out, or how to modify the game's animations myself. Some help would be appreciated.

The links to your video on YouTube and the image on imgur are dead, by the way.

Thanks in advance!

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    CrunchyBiscuit likes this.
  20. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB
    Ey, thanks! Much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I can't even get AO to work at all in Serious Sam 2 using the flag 0x0000001F (Demigod). I'm probably doing something wrong, since I'm kinda new to this.

I selected the right game in NVInspector (Serious Sam II; it shows the correct profile because it recognizes the changes I made in the nVidia control panel, and the other way around), I selected the recommended code (0x0000001F) for Ambient Occlusion compatibility, enabled ambient occlusion usage, applied the settings and tried out the "performance", "quality" and "high quality" options. Nothing seems to work.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022