HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2080ti trio
    KainXVIII likes this.
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Added thanks

3. MeatSafeMurderer

MeatSafeMurderer New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Found that a flag that seems to work fine in Batman: Arkham City in DX9 mode, 0x00000030 (Aliens: Colonial Marines). Unlike all of the other typical UE3 flags there's no flickering, bleeding through the UI, fog, transparencies, etc. Didn't notice any performance issues with it either. It looks pretty much perfect, atleast to my eye. Works fine in Arkham Asylum too, no idea if it works in Arkham Origins but it's worth testing I think. If noone has by then I'll report back once I get onto that game.

No AO: https://i.imgur.com/DEGTCDN.png
    0x30: https://i.imgur.com/NVZAKZF.png

KainXVIII likes this.
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Thanks, added.

5. Dreadmoth

Dreadmoth Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    I think the flag for Grim Dawn can be removed - over time it became unreliable and less effective (not sure if it was due to game or driver updates).

The game uses Direct3D 11 by default now (DX9 still accessible via launch parameter), and has a built-in AO implementation. None of the D3D11 HBAO+ flags work, unfortunately.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    So it doesn't work effectively now if you dig up the DX9 mode and use that?

7. Dreadmoth

Dreadmoth Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    It suffered from significant flickering and poor coverage last time I tried it.

Currently the DX9 mode doesn't work properly for me - I think it may have broken sometime around the 1.1.4.0 update.
    (unrelated to the issues with forced HBAO+, which I think began shortly before DX11 was first added)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Ok, i'll take it out.

9. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
  10. 0458315753

0458315753 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    Is there a flag for Halo: Master Chief Collection? The game has very low amount of anti-aliasing, resembles 4x MSAA. In Combat Evolved aliasing is easier to see due to simpler geometry.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    use DSR then.

12. 0458315753

0458315753 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    I'm aware of the option, but I prefer staying in borderless fullscreen since I don't play competitively.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    They use DX11 I believe and the only AA they offer as far as I can tell is some kind of PPAA (or in the case of reach bad TAA).
    MSAA would've been very nice. However even the Gearbox Halo 1 port was incompatible with AA of any kind as well and you could not force it.

If you don't play competitively you can still use DSR and play borderless windowed. Your resolution will just be higher then. But you really have no other option than DSR.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Halo 1 renders to offscreen surfaces, which at the time (DX9) no hardware could apply MSAA.

https://halo.bungie.org/misc/halopcperformancefaq.html

People also forget that Bungie intentionally made gearbox do the shader ports themselves, Xbox shaders are not directly translatable to PC.

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @0458315753 This is also not the AA flag thread. This is for HBAO.
    The only reason to shy away from DSR is because it's very demanding. It needs higher than native resolutions, so if your native res is 4k, DSR becomes exponentially hard to use.
    That being said, Halo CE even in the MCC is super easy to run, and DSR works great on my end. Certainly worth a shot.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Quite a few users with lower end 10 series have framerate issues because it doesn't load the gpu well enough, i haven't found them to occur on 1080 and 1080ti though, only the GDDR5 cards.

as for hbao, 343 had the opportunity to do something special with the shadows in these "remasters" instead we get broken checkerboard shadows XD

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    DSR might actually help those people, push the card a little more. I'm personally happy with the result for $10. But yeah, better ssao should have been an easy upgrade.

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Makes sense, I remember reading about it years ago. But it's been ages heh.
    Surely though a modern port of it could support MSAA somehow.
    HBAO+ would've been nice too.

19. 0458315753

0458315753 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    Sorry about confusing the threads. MCC has some ambient occlusion when the "enhanced" graphical setting has been enabled, but there has been some critique in the community. Reshade's MXAO didn't have any effect as far as I could see.

20. 0458315753

0458315753 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070S
    It doesn't seem that this has been asked recently — is there currently any way to toggle the effect without restarting the game? Nvidia HBAO is more subtle, likely more realistic, than say Reshade's MXAO and isn't necessarily evident in games with baked lightning and shadows.