HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. 256k

256k Member Guru

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    Anything for Nier Automata? Ingame SSAO sucks

2. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    Also looking for this. I tried MXAO in ReShade but it does not work for me.

3. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 TI SLI
    I agree, hopefully someone can help!

4. Dweeb

Dweeb Member

GPU:
    GTX680 4gb
    Disable SSAO and MSAA to get access to the depth buffer. I'd prefer normal HBAO+ since I like the MSAA and couldn't get any of the Reshade AO's to look good but it doesn't seem like anyone will feed me flags :)

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I'd test it when I have time if I had the game. Not much point in me buying it ATM, I wish them success though. I love Platinum and hope the success of this gets SE to make a PC port of the first game.

I would just suggest starting at an easily repeatable scene that has the same camera angle every time you load.

Then cycle through running the game with every DX10+ flag in the driver. (Everything from the Assassin's Creed 1 flag and down)

6. Dweeb

Dweeb Member

GPU:
    GTX680 4gb
    Seems like a lot of work for this lazy guy but I'll try a few. Problem with that though is when you load the game up your character is leaving a pod thing so the camera is facing a wall!

7. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I played around a bit with MXAO, it does work just fine for me in this game. I haven't necessarily reached "final" settings and this is the first time I'm trying to configure it by myself, but I prefer the game with it rather than without. Some objects really blend into each other without MXAO it seems, it helps quite a bit since it highlights their 3D shape.

Some comparisons:
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/203851 (resized from 4K)
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/203846 (crop at 4K)

screenshotcomparison apparently doesn't like 4K, which is why I had to resort to resizing and cropping.

I also tried some HBAO+ flags, though not all of them. I went through everything from Resident Evil 5 (0x000C0000) to Metal Gear Solid V (0x00180000) and couldn't find anything worth using. Some of them show some very weak, very low quality AO while others halve my frame rate and still look terrible, so none were usable so far. I got bored testing flags for now, maybe somebody else can do some of the rest that I haven't tried and let everyone know if they find one working well. :D

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    That looks nice-ish. But it is bleeding somehwat with the fade of the background of the tent cloth.

9. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, it is. Is there any way to completely eliminate bleeding with this sort of injected AO however? I was under the impression there wasn't as it can't tell when the objects are under fog or such.

If you have any suggestions on which settings to tweak to make it less noticeable, I'll be glad to do the actual tweaking.

10. Randomzx

Randomzx New Member

GPU:
    nothing
    I checked your "0x000F0011" ambient occlusion profile setting didn't see anything flag associated with that value. Is that supposed to written as it is (as a custom flag)? or is it just short for "0x000F0000" and "0x00000011" depending on the API?

Also I noticed that the Divinity 2 flag 0x00000018 have some serious fog bleeding issue and most importantly of all, does not work indoor no matter what.

I have tried other flags and found 0x00000009 (Team Fortress 2) and 0x00000029 (Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim) to work with no bleeding issues noticed yet. But in order to prevent problems like being disabled at certain angle, you must turn off the "HDR" option in the game setting to have proper depth buffer access (This was the same suggestion with Reshade, as it is noted that with the ingame's HDR method prevent proper depth buffer access)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    0x000F0011 affects both DX9 and DX10+.
    But in my master list spreadsheet, I personally prefer to split them up to avoid any such confusion.
    0x00000011 is DX9, while 0x000F0000 would only affect DX10 and DX11.

However, in reality it makes absolutely no difference.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Only if they made it so MXAO gave you such options to deal with fogging.

It doesn't look bad in your shot. It's still better than the **** in game AO. (FWIW too, I recall seeing one game not that long ago that had what looked like was fog bleeding with the built in AO. Not blatantly super strong, more like what you've got going on there with your shots)

13. Actze

Actze New Member

GPU:
    GTX660ti
    hi everybody. i am trying to add HBAO+ to Dungeon Siege 2, with the settings posted on the settings thread:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5186817&postcount=1918

but it doesn't seem to work (nothing changes in the game).
    I am using nvidiainspector (opened in administrator mode), i choose the game (dungeon siege 2), i paste the correct flag, i set AO usage to enabled and AO setting to quality (tried also high quality)
    and finally clicked on APPLY SETTINGS.

[UPDATE] the problem is the minimap on the lowerright part. If i open it the HBAO effect disappear. very strange

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  14. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, that's what I thought. There are no such settings for MXAO. I quite like it other than the bleed and it's very adjustable, sadly as I played more of the game I found areas with pretty frequent dust clouds and the bleed makes it pretty ugly when that happens. It really does enhance certain scenes but also makes others look bad.

15. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Looking for correct profile for automata, so far found out that 0x00100000 (Sid Meier's Civilization V) cuts FPS in half but does not have any visual effect.

0x00130000 (F1 2014) has even more severe impact on FPS but also gives no results.

0x00060019 (Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood) Seems to produce very subtle effect, mostly visible on player model. Barely visible (if at all) on world geometry.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

16. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I've tried every DX10/11 flag for Automata and couldn't find one that works. Some may produce a very subtle effect but that's it, others murder performance and do nothing. Try them yourself though, I'd love to be proven wrong. :D

ReShade MXAO works but bleeds, quite noticeable in some scenes. I find that increasing its Normal Bias setting removes a lot of AO from the less occluded areas, which also makes the bleed less obvious, though it doesn't do anything to actually address it. The game's brightness setting also needs to be adjusted appropriately (low enough, basically), or the dark areas of the game will be too bright and washed out, it can clash heavily with the darker MXAO.

It's a shame the game's own SSAO is so bad, good AO really helps in certain scenes in Automata.

17. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    To be honest i think it could be possible to boost AO strength by modding the .dll

CoJ flag seems to be quite good despite it's subtlety (although it's funny that it's mostly visible on the actual map)

18. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I was under the impression that hex editing DLLs no longer worked in newer drivers, or was that a W10 specific issue perhaps?

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Think is a W10 issue only? I can't remember.

20. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    It didn't work for me last time I tried it on recent-ish drivers and my gaming system is on W10, so that doesn't work in any case. I'd be curious to hear if anyone can get nice HBAO+ working in NieR on W7/8 by hex editing the DLLs though.