HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Styx

Styx New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GPU
    Actually there might be an alternative to Reshade3 MXAO and Nvidia driver hex editing in the future. dgVoodoo author is working on implementing Nvidia Gameworks features (HBAO+, nvidia DOF, etc.) through original Gameworks external DLLs. He is also planning on implementing a DX9 to DX11 wrapper layer.

I was not able to post the links to the Gameworks HBAO threads in dgVoodoo forums since my post count is less than 5.

2. Styx

Styx New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GPU
    Is there a HBAO+ Nvidia profile setting that works with the game Stacking (GOG Version)?

Stacking is a DX9 game. MXAO works through Reshade3 but it is extremely slow. Game has built-in SSAO option that can be turned off via game settings.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  3. PaperBen

PaperBen New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB
    I seriously doubt you can force HBAO+ in a DX8 game. According the post #2708 from Withespider, it confirm what i say.
    The goal is running the game with DgVoodoo for emulate NV2.0-NV3.0 Shadow Buffer and in DX9 for forcing the HBAO+, MSAA, SGSSAA, ...

Tested, retested many times in different possible combinations. One solution consist to rename one of the two d3d8.dll files using by DgVoodoo and ENBconverter, so i can copy both in the SC1 system folder but i need to recompile the files with the source code. Or find another way to run this game in DX9.
    Even the MXAO of Reshade 3 don't works.

I don't know if you understand what i mean, im french guy from Switzerland and my english is not very good.

Best regards.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  4. PaperBen

PaperBen New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB
    I tested Reshade 3 MXAO but don't works in Splinter Cell. I don't know why because all other effect like Bloom or Lumasharpen works well.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Could simply be due to how the depth buffer works in that game. /shrug.

6. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    @PaperBen

I'm not sure about Splinter Cell, since I never played that game.
    But technically it is possible to force driver HBAO+, all AA modes as well as use custom SLI profiles in DX8 mode.
    The degree of success will of course vary depending on the game engine.

For example does "0x00000040" work for all SSAA modes in Splinter Cell DX8:
    https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9603407&postcount=3705

7. PaperBen

PaperBen New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB
    I tested AutodllInjector, it works well for multiple dll with same name. When DgVoodoo is active, all other dll i inject won't works and when DgVoodoo is inactive, all other dll i inject works.

So i just proper reinstalling the game, without DgVoodoo, ENBconverter, etc...and whats my surprise ?
    Indeed, as you say before, i can force HBAO+. In fact i don't need the ENBconverter, the flag "0x00000010" works well for HBAO+.
    Ok, not sure if the problem was DgVoodoo, but when is active, it bypass all and you can't use the Nv Inspector settings, or other dll.

But, nothing change, without DgVoodoo -> no Shadow Buffer, and using Projector Shadow -> Very ugly, light problem, incorrect shadows,... unplayable. This game is based on the Shadow Buffer technique, without that, no reason to play.

Mr. Bonk, not sure about that, but yes it can be due to how the Depth Buffer (Z-Buffer) work in this game.

I don't know, this next week i will build a oldschool gaming PC with a GeForce TI 4 4600, and then install the game proper and see if i can force HBAO+. If i can, it's a DgVoodoo issue and if i can't, it's another issue like Depth Buffer.

See soon.

8. PeskyPotato

PeskyPotato Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 M
    Hello,

I have tried different settings for a game I played called 'Alliance of Valiant Arms' (currently marked by Enmasse in my region). It is an Unreal Engine 3 based game, normally used in DX9, although I have been able to force it to use DX10 successfully.

So far, the best AO setting I can find is the "0x00000020 (Mass Effect)". This works well, except it definitely has some flickering issues, and seems to be a HUGEEEE performance hit. I know that the performance hit may be expected, but it is around 50 - 120 FPS different, and seems not ideal for the game. I have tried messing around with it myself, but cannot seem to find a better solution.

Do you have any possible ideas?

9. PaperBen

PaperBen New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB
    Hi,

Have you test running the game as original DX9 with AO enabled ? Also try to use a different level in AO settings (Performance/Quality/High quality).

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Don't use dx10, try other UE3 flags. Also, monitor your GPU make sure it's not overheating or the GPU frequency isn't being dropped for whatever reason.

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I would say check GPU usage with Afterburner, since custom HBAO+ profiles can sometime tank usage due to the way the effect is rendered.
    Only an alternative profile would fix this really.
    Try the standard "0x0000002F" profile.

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    That too, forgot about it.

13. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Path of Exile

The flag in the list is bad, it pops in and out and has noise in motion. Path of Exile also has a DX11 option now. I tested every flag in Inspector for both clients, and this is the best flag combo to use: 0x000F0011.

Without tweaks, DX11 HBAO+ is much worse, I recommend using DX9 which is nearly flawless as far as I can tell (there is bleeding, which isn't a big deal in this game, no popping in and out, and very stable in motion). Figured I'd include the best working flag for anybody that wants to tweak it just in case.

No AO (DX9): https://abload.de/img/pathofexile02.19.20171jsld.png
    HBAO+ (DX9): https://abload.de/img/pathofexile02.19.2017pmsks.png

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  14. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Also, regarding DX8, the only DX8 game I still play is PSOBB, and the Nvidia Control Panel can not detect when it is active at all. However, if I use the ENB D3D8 to D3D9 converter (http://enbdev.com/download_convertor_dx8todx9.htm), Nvidia Control Panel can detect it and force anti aliasing successfully (and in my laptop's case, use the dedicated GPU as well). I'd say it's worth testing out with more games to make sure it isn't an issue specific to that game.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Interesting. What is the .exe that is running listed when using DX8? Is it something generic, or is it running as like a .bin or something?

16. Styx

Styx New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GPU
    Is it possible to force HBAO on OpenGL games through Nvidia Profile Inspector?

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Not without a wrapper.

18. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Any for ultimate marvel vs capcom 3?

19. obsidiangrvmind

obsidiangrvmind New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti
    I would love to know as well. I've found that the AO flags, Aliens: Colonial Marines and Tom Clancy's EndWar work for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I feel Endwar is the most optimal but definitely not perfect.

20. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    interesting i'm trying those