HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. robgrab

robgrab Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184657
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184658

Wow, these are EXTREMELY subtle. From what I remember the old flags produced a much stronger and very noticeable difference. If I also remember correctly it had some serious bleeding issues through fog. To me, the lighting in this new remaster looks so much better that I don't really think it needs AO since the environments don't look as flat. I'm just curious if there's access to the depth buffer this time since some subtle DoF would be a nice addition. I kinda doubt it though since from what I can tell it seems to be using the same engine, albeit modified.

EDIT: BTW here is the original post I made testing different flags on the original Bioshock. You can click through tabs #1 through #8 to see a variety of environments.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5004436&postcount=1408

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  2. derdante

derdante New Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 896 MB
  3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    No not really. It's less than a 5% increase in GPU usage. That's actually on the low side from my experience, even at 30FPS.

I've never seen GPU load go above 20% with or without HBAO+ enabled at these settings so far.

I don't see how you can get it's a +40% increase when in these shots it only increases 3-5% over not using the effect. There's only one example shot here where you can extrapolate a 40% increase and that's in the shot that is only using 7% to begin with. Which is at the beginning of one of the challenge maps and you are in a very confined area.

You can always increase the strength of the effect from hex editing if you like.
    Added this. Thanks.

4. Dr4Wm4N

Dr4Wm4N Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 2080Ti
    I finally achieved to activate HBAO+ in Dead Rising, the solution was to use exclusive fullscreen mode, and not borderless fullscreen mode where HBAO+ cannot be forced.

I found a third compatible flag for this game:

0x00090000 (Devil May Cry 4(DX10), Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, Devil May Cry 4(DX9))

These three flags behave exactly the same, with similar performance hit.

I wanted to edit one of those flags to lessen the strength of the effect, but I couldn't find the nvwgf2umx.dll file in C:\Windows\System32\ anymore. Is it possible to mod the flags with the latest drivers?

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Are you using Windows 10? I wonder if it moved to a different location. I can still find it in Windows 7

6. robgrab

robgrab Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Has anybody else had problems with NVIDIA Inspector crashing under Windows 10? I had to install an earlier version to edit profiles.

7. Dr4Wm4N

Dr4Wm4N Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 2080Ti
    Yes, I use Windows 10 since its launch, but I remember I edited some Fallout 4 HBAO+ flags with the same OS, and the dlls were in the locations mentioned in the first page.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Make sure you are using the latest version from the download link in the NPI thread. The DL Link automatically goes to the latest built build.

Try doing a file search for them I guess.

9. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SC ACX 2GB
    Dll editing was removed in latest drivers, the files are located in Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_d3851cb7c8216f9e but they don't work on my side. Using win 10 btw.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Well that sucks. Using latest drivers and am having success improving the Bioshock flag for Bioshock Remastered here on W7. (Removing bleeding, increasing strength)

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
  12. robgrab

robgrab Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    I just noticed AO is supported in the NVIDIA Control Panel for Bioshock Remastered without having to use NVIDIA Inspector. I also haven't noticed any decrease in speed or bleeding. Here is a quick comparison.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184741

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    It uses the same flag as before. But it does actually bleed a bit.

I just finished modding the flag to fix issues and make it a little stronger.

=Bioshock Remastered=

0x00020000 (Modified)

Original Flag Values
    Modified Values
    No AO Bleeding 1 Bleeding 2 Baggage Door Statue Museum Tunnel

Unmodified AO Bleeding 1 Bleeding 2 Baggage Door Statue Museum Tunnel Bleeding 3

Modified AO Bleeding 1 Bleeding 2 Baggage Door Statue Museum Tunnel Bleeding 3

14. derdante

derdante New Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 896 MB
    I've tried these flags as well and they seem stronger than the other flags mentioned in this thread. Maybe it would be enough for you to try another one.

Here's a comparison:
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184771
    On mouse over is yours.

15. robgrab

robgrab Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    That's great but is it possible for me to do that under Windows 10? A previous post said that editing was recently removed.

16. Gitaroo

Gitaroo Member

GPU:
    Geforce 670/2 gigs
    you sure bioshock is working? I think the game has ssao support out of the box, or it could the flag that I left on for the original that forces AO for the remaster too

17. robgrab

robgrab Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    It uses the same executable so yes.

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Game has no AO, lighting is all baked.

HBAO+ works because game uses same .exe name as original game. So it's already part of the profile in the drivers.

Easy to see example
    https://abload.de/img/noao13goj3.jpg
    https://abload.de/img/modedao22esbw.jpg
    Look under bags, lit pillar slightly to the left and then the corner to the far left.

I don't know about W10, but works fine including modifying the flag in W7 to remove bleeding and increase strength.

Also: I only had time to try the Resident Evil 5 flag for Dead Rising. It's pretty problematic. Has same issue as RE5 with the sky in some cutscenes as well as being too strong in the distances and some other stuff.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  19. NoctisHD

NoctisHD New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    When I use the original Bioshock flag for Bioshock Remastered is doesn't work great.

It flickers on and off at many points during playing.

It's just not worth using because of this.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  20. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Resolution/AR? Not running into that issue at 1080p here with the flag modified.

Couldn't say about unmodified. Though in my testing, I couldn't get it to flicker on and off at all as well. It would only not work in one of the extra content missions.