HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SC ACX 2GB
    Noticed that AO turns on/off in Dark Souls Prepare to Die while co-oping or whenever a player ghost appears (ghosts from bloodstains also makes it flicker), I was able to fix it by hex-editing the recommended flags, just choose the desired flag and make sure that AO is Inserted before Stretch Rectangle ("Insert AO at Present" and "Insert AO Match States on Draw" will flicker), so u can use 2,3,A,B values, note that Stretch Rectangle insertion overrides other insertions, so, even 3,A,B which are mixed modes will work, at least in this game.

(0x00000018) BEFORE HEX-EDITING (2E 93 20 18 00 00 20 18 85 90 B8 0B 00 00 00 00)

(0x00000018) AFTER HEX-EDITING (2E 23 20 18 00 00 20 18 85 90 B8 0B 00 00 00 00)

Essential parameters + personal effect tweaks (1E B0 00 00 00 00 00 00 A5 30 59 0B 00 00 00 00)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Would you be able to get some comparisons(Wouldn't need to be 1:1. Just enough to show the difference?) and edit your post to include the full hex code with and without the changes?

Seems like a worthwhile fix I could add.

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Are you the one who posted the pictures on Screenshot Comparison?
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/159329
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/159328
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/159327
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/159326
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/159325
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/159323
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/159321

It does look like there could be some tweaking for how it blends with certain things. (If it's even possible) But it looks decent enough to add.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  4. ToasTinButtered

ToasTinButtered Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Yeah I've posted that. I tried all of the other codes and they just keep flickering, and when I pick certain weapons, the ambient effect goes away completely. This is the only code that works without it being buggy from the list. I believe it's worth adding since the effect is mostly noticeable throughout the gameplay.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

5. ToasTinButtered

ToasTinButtered Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Oh, and you've missed one picture of Castle Of Rock.
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/159254

(Excuse teh double-post but it's about dayum time I add a link for images the next time I find something! :))

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  6. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SC ACX 2GB
    Sure, updated.:)

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Thank you gentlemen. I will add both.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    And it's official. Minus.com SUCKS.

Practically all of my image links from the last 3 years do not work anymore.

I don't have all of these images anymore. And replacing them would be a large amount of effort. D:

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Same as with SGSSAA - the original Darksiders II bit works with Deathfinitive Edition of the game. I'd argue that it provides better AO than the in-game option - they seems to be pretty close quality wise but driver's AO have better performance.

10. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SC ACX 2GB
    noticed that too, i tought it was something wrong with my internet.
    damn, lot of work down the toilet, at least the most important stuff remains intact :thumbup:

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Sorry to hear about this :(
    Personally I have been using abload.de without any issues for years.

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I've used abload quite a few times as well. Suppose I should've use it more! :p.

You never know when any host will go to **** though.

13. Gitaroo

Gitaroo Member

GPU:
    Geforce 670/2 gigs
    anyone know the HBAO+ flag for the witness? I tried lords of the fallen since its DX11 compatible but no luck.

14. ToasTinButtered

ToasTinButtered Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Me again... Been going in-depth just to make sure there are no bugs, and there aren't except that...

When choosing the Dual Uzis around some bright areas outdoors, the ground will flicker. This is due to the Uzi's poly bump during idle animation that doesn't seem to like HBAO+ much. I've manage to avoid this by making the animation less dramatic, removing all its key frames that cause this flickering bugger to appear.

Here is a "workaround" I recommend to avoid flickering during Uzi usage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxO7Ym0E-j8

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Alrighty I added that. Out of curiosity. What happens if you simply set the AO quality to Performance instead? Does the same flickering occur?

Strange that an animation would cause such a problem. By Poly Bump do you mean the Bump mapping on the model?

16. ToasTinButtered

ToasTinButtered Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Cool m8! And yes unlike other shaders on this weapon, it's the poly bump shader on the model that causes the flicker with full idle animation.
    http://i.imgur.com/gj3iDDz.png

I've tried messing with the poly bump settings and rendered fovs. I just tried Performance and Quality as well, and messing with in game settings and resolutions.

Nothing will make that flicker go away more or less...
    Unless you're using "shade" or some other shader which will make it go away but give your Uzi poorer quality,
    or stick with good ol' poly bump shader and adjust the idle animation from moving too low.

Yeaa... all sounds weird to me too seeing how this only happens with Uzis on certain bright outdoor areas.
    Heh least with my workaround it's working better now, and I made sure of that throughout the whole game. :infinity:

17. Goose

Goose Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    This must be the right place to ask: Is the drivers' Ambient Occlusion something you can force onto a game, like the drivers FXAA? Hear-tell it's "moar" temporally stable then other modes, but because I'm not good at picking its' effect out, maybe I've just shut it off completely? :3eyes:

18. Zyrusticae

Zyrusticae Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 4GB (x2)
    Unfortunately, no. None of the base UE3 flags work without flickering.

In fact, B&S is a very unusual case in that it requires both "compute linear-Z before Z-clear" and "pattern srcblend srcalpha" enabled to actually show up at all times. Only Hawken's profile shares those particular flags, and yeah, it still flickers.

At the very least, I've managed to reduce the flickering somewhat by editing the fog settings, but it'll still flicker in certain situations where the driver, for whatever reason, just can't seem to "match state".

The best I can do is switching to "Insert before stretch rectangle", which obviously means bleeding through UI and alpha effects all the time and thus no different from simply using reshade AO instead (maybe worse, because I can't set a brightness threshold). There's just something very unusual the game is doing with the draw state that's causing it to bug out like that, and I'm not sure any flag setting can actually fix that (aside from, again, simply brute forcing it and dealing with the resulting bleeding).

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    It is generally very stable without flickering or crawling.

The OP Shows how to apply it on an application profile and has a list of flags, most don't need to be modified.

If you aren't familiar with Inspector, read the stickied guide.

Also: The developer implemented version of HBAO+ does have the advantage of taking into account light sources (While not having color bounce/blending that GI would have. This can be a problem when HBAO+ is used far too strongly like Far Cry 4). I'm not sure that the driver version does.
    Shame, I wonder if there is a solution. Just that it's mind numbingly difficult to figure out from our end of the chain with trial and error. It requires a huge amount of patience. I'm glad more people are trying though.

Too bad the devs can't implement it instead. Or Nvidia make an official flag.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  20. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    Any chance for XCOM 2 flag? DX11 UE3