HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    The OP document has been updated with all recent flags. But with this one specifically, the fogging issues could probably be fixed fairly easily now. :)

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    ==Tales of Zestiria==

0x0000002F (MODIFIED)
    *Tested with 16:9/Near 16:9 resolutions only as high as 5464x3072*
    *Also remember when hex editing it has to be typed in by hand to work. No copy pasta. At least in my testing.*

OK, so this was seriously an exercise in patience, trial and error and aggravation lol.

Through the probably 2 dozen hours I spent on this I have discovered that despite our labeling of the functions. There is more to them than meets the eye.
    Though you can generally take them at face value for some.
    Such as the fogging bits. ToZ makes gratuitous use of fogging. And the fogging bits made a huge difference when it came to that.

And while you'd expect that the fogging would only affect the effect through fog, at a value of 0 it also has large effects on how the AO is rendered. The distance is shortened, things are shaded fairly differently that weren't in fog as examples. I chose to leave this value at 1. It makes it subtle enough without breaking things.

The other values likely all seemed to play off another in one form or another. I felt like I hit dead ends several times and was going to give up until I experimented more with the other settings. And all of the experimentation is ultimately which was able to let me fix several huge issues.
    Such as;
    Likewise the insertion logic bits make a difference too on how it is inserted, what it looks for and when it is inserted. The pattern match mask pairs up with several same values in the insertion logic bits. And it seems generally at least some of them in both have to match up.
    This was how I could fix major flickering issues, bleeding through UI elements like the minimap or full area map screen. (The default flag seems fine at first glance but at certain distances to certain objects or angles, it will bleed through the UI/Map and then turn back off ). Or the strange white screen/depth buffer issue.

One issue that did arise from this was AO not applying during the evening scene at the beginning of the DLC with my new bits. It turns out the Depth_Test pattern allowed it to work. But only if it was on the Pattern Match Mask section only. Not both. And not just the Insertion(I think.)

I will document all of these when I get off my ass to finish the OP.

Originally too, all of the issues got worse and worse the higher resolution you used. Now you shouldn't have major issues with at least the subtle values. It does get slightly stronger with higher resolution as well

It's worth noting as well that the AO does sometimes turn off at very uncommon extreme camera angles. I've never encountered it during regular play or cutscenes. Only during two specific instances during map exploration.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

No AO: Ruins|Ruins 2|Ruins Cloudy|Ruins Hole|water|Tree Corner|Ledge|Two Characters|Close up 1 near|Close up 2 Distance|Ruins fog|Big'oTree|Forest close up 1|Forest close up 2|Church|Outside Church night|Forest Night|Outside Inn|Inside Inn|Forest Day

Default 2F: Ruins|Ruins 2|Skybox|Ruins Cloudy|Ruins Hole|water|Tree Corner|Ledge|Two Characters|Close up 1 near|Close up 2 Distance|Ruins fog|Big'oTree|Forest close up 1|Forest close up 2|Church|Outside Church night|Forest Night|Outside Inn|Inside Inn|Forest Day

Modified 2F (Subtle): Ruins|Ruins 2|Skybox|Ruins Cloudy|Ruins Hole|water|Tree Corner|Ledge|Two Characters|Close up 1 near|Close up 2 Distance|Ruins fog|Big'oTree|Forest close up 1|Forest close up 2|Church|Outside Church night|Forest Night|Outside Inn|Inside Inn|Forest Day

Modified 2F (Stronger): Ruins|Ruins 2|Ruins Cloudy|Ruins Hole|water|Tree Corner|Ledge|Two Characters|Close up 1 near|Close up 2 Distance|Ruins fog|Big'oTree|Forest close up 1|Forest close up 2|Church|Outside Church night|Forest Night|Outside Inn|Inside Inn|Forest Day

Now the effect might seem too subtle or overly subtle to some. But understand this is as good as it could get without problems. If it wasn't for VFS and the way AO is used on characters, I could manage to get it a bit stronger. But it just isn't possible. It's plain to see that AO applies differently in different scenes on it's own without characters mucking it up.

The 2nd modified set of bits that are stronger will have more character AO issues. And it will get slightly worse the higher the resolution you use.
    http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/8a8TalesofZestiria20151.png this is how super close ups look at 1080p

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Thanks, GW2 seems to indeed work quite well. Though, it looks like there's a small flickering problem in cutscenes.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    So anyone tried to get HBAO working with Just Cause 3? bit suprised it wasn't added to the game as it has NVIDIA Gameworks?

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    The SSAO in JC3 seems to be ok tbh from what i've seen.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I've started finishing the OP with the hex editing information.

Forewarning. It's long as hell. And i'm probably only like 1/2-2/3 finished.

7. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SC ACX 2GB
    Great work Bonk! Btw those latest strings in the dx9 hex editing codes actually do something, take 12 80 03 10 00 00 20 10 A5 50 96 2F 00 00 02 00 which relates to dark souls 2 official flag "33", and change the antepenult string 02 to 00 (12 80 03 10 00 00 20 10 A5 50 96 2F 00 00 00 00), and AO stops working.

8. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    i tried the LotF, CoJ and MGSV bits but every time the game only ran at 5 fps and i couldnt even tell if there was any change.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    That seems odd lol. D:

DS2 is unique I think in the Linear-Z set up it uses is lower quality than every other flag in the driver. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

From my testing, I couldn't see anything change with the last 4 bytes of data.

:stewpid:

I only tested a little though.

And that 02 value according to what I have is "Trace insertion logic state"

10. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB

11. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SC ACX 2GB
    Same here, those bits only made difference with this specific title, tried other games and those strings did nothing.

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Would you test a bit more in the main game. I tried one UE3 flag randomly yesterday and it bled and flickered in the main game and cutscenes.

Strangely enough though even the bulit in AO flickered off when you complete those tutorials/challenges.

I'll add it though.

Strange, just tried it and it doesn't work for me. I need to check some stuff.

Edit: Ok, so it was my resolution. It didn't like 768p or 765p(Perfect 16:9 AR) but it did 1080p.

It flickers a bit more on and off in the same place that the in game AO does.

They really didn't seem to fix some of the game's optimization issues from the original release though. Suffering poor performance in the same spots.
    Look at this.

1080p with all of the Post Processing turned off (Via the DoF toggle in the EmpireSystemSettings.ini) and no forced AA and HBAO+.

On a 980, http://i.cubeupload.com/EoRil0.png
    Only 115FPS. Though I think that was the low. The rest of that scene in gameplay was like 130-140 ish.

Also: 0x00000030 doesn't seem to like grass very much.
    http://i.cubeupload.com/mTnKBY.png
    http://i.cubeupload.com/Vt3O1u.png
    It looks ugly in motion.

It also only seems to work at 1080p for some reason.

Try looking through the other UE3 flags for DX9 and try to find one that.

A.) Works in both the Tutorial/Challenges and Main game
    B.) Preferrably doesn't flicker when you finish the challenge room and the camera moves in.
    (It's ok if you can't do B. Even the in game does it.)
    C.) Plays well with grass
    D.) Doesn't flicker during general play
    E.) Works at resolutions other than 1080p.

I'm going to try to find a DX11 flag.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  13. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    ok will do, i really wanna find a DX11 flag, cuz reflections are ONLY enabled in DX11 and i cant figure why. Ive tried forcing it thru config files to enable in DX9.

14. BUDA20

BUDA20 Member

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080 ti
    I Fix fallout 4 ghosting AO (in game) by setting Frames ahead to 1 and using RTSS fps cap to 60, even with the game vsync enable (is the default option) it fixes micro shuttering and AO lag.

I also increased fSAOIntensity= from 7.x to 11.5 (in Fallout4.ini not pref)
    It looks a lot better, but without over saturate.

I recommend everyone to try this to fix both AO and performance.

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Perhaps you could make some indoors and outdoors screenshot comparisons, otherwise the point is kinda moot :)

16. Dreadmoth

Dreadmoth Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Red Rocket
    fSAOIntensity= 7.1 | 11.5

Vault 111

Diamond City

Definitely stronger / darker on 11.5.

Maybe tweaking the fSAORadius and fSAOBias could lead to improved accuracy / coverage?

EDIT: it sure can lead to the opposite

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Ugh, what's worse is my documentation for the insertion logic for DX10 may not be correct. The only effect i've gotten out of DX11 so far is the game running at like 10FPS with no AO applied.

18. Gitaroo

Gitaroo Member

GPU:
    Geforce 670/2 gigs
    anyone tried Dragon Quest Heroes?

19. camomille

camomille New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    Fallout 4
    This Flag : 0x000A0000 (Far Cry 2) seems to work nice, i didn't notice any framerate issues for the moment, i expect some flickering, but it's hard to avoid that (even FNV with Fallout 3 flag had some flickering).
    @Anarion
    As far as i remember, 0x0000001F (Demigod) worked well with jade empire but i suppose some others too.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Ugh yeah. NV changed something when it comes to DX10+ Insertion logic. So Shadow Complex in DX11 is impossible. Also causing problems for other games.

None of the flags in the driver work. Either no effect or slows down framerate to 10 or so.

At 1080p the in game AO on my 980 costs in one scene 30FPS. In others more. Turning off "DoF" which disables bloom and color correction too. In the same scene with AO left on (Which still works) gains ~70FPS.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015