Having issues with Windows 10 version 1809 Clean install. Games stutter all across the board.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Smough, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I really need some help and I honestly don't know where else to ask. I am running out of idea, please help me! So, basically most of the games I play stutter, to some degree or the other; doesn't matter if I use v-sync or not, high or low settings, if I use an FPS limiter such as RivaTuner or not, if I disable services and stuff, timer resolution set to 0.5 ms, nothing works, my games have lag stutter, random fps drops when the GPU or CPU are not maxed out at all to some degree or other other. In fact, I had this problem under Windows 10 1803 so I decided to do a clean install of 1809 and to my luck, the issue is still there, some games got a bit better, others got worse The Divison 2 was super smooth to me on 1803, on 1809 is only smooth at Borderless FullScreen for example and not Fullscreen as it used to be, Star Wars Battlefront 2 now has weird lags and before it was locked 60, impossible for it to drop fps, ever at 1803. I even gave it a shot and decided to disable Spectre&Meltdown mitigations in hopes it would help me, but it doesn't make a difference.Watch Dogs 2 is borderline unplayable and if memory serves me correctly, it was super smooth; I believe this was on 1803. But other games did ran bad at 1803.

My computer, even if not the latest, it's capable: MOBO H81M-E33, i7 4770, GTX 1060, 8GB of RAM at 1600 MHz, 3 SSD's and 1 mechanical HDD and a 600W EVGA PSU. As you can see, it should be capable to run any game at medium or high at 1080p at 50-60 fps with no stutter, yet my games lag, very badly. Sometimes they are kind of ok, other days it's a nightmare. I've ran sfc /scannow to no avail. My last option is to format again and hope it could even fix anything.

My 1809 is fully up to date, so I don't think that's the problem either. Browsing and using the computer for everyday use is smooth and fast, but games are just becoming unplayable. I've asked all over the internet, nobody knows anything, all I get are snakeoil solutions or "bruh, do this and solved!". I am really getting frustrated and sad, feels like my system is falling apart each day more.

Note aside: ndis.sys jumps like crazy on Latencymon when I run this network stress test: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Also spikes when downloading anything at full ISP speed, sometimes breaks the 1000 us threshold. I suspect this plays a big role when I am playing games, I can't have Latencymon opened all the time while I play, but even quick tests at games such as TW3 (which is a 100% an offline game), Latencymon shows ndis.sys spiking for nothing, not too high, but still acting up, for no apparent reason.

Going back in time once again to an older Windows version? I am out of ideas.

Thanks for any sort of help.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    try getting a power conditioner

anything with a recent intel nic though is using DPC's for interrupt moderation, so you can tune the dpc behavior by setting that to minimal or even off,

modern cpu's won't have an issue in this case.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    try these commands if you haven't already

Open CMD as admin

Type:

sfc/ scannow

wait for it to finish then

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

wait for it to finish then

CHKDSK /F

press Y and reboot system and wait for check disk to finish.

These are just common fixes for corrupt windows/system files. Also why 1809? This is a much older version of windows, 1903 was a good build and currently 2004 is the latest official release but it can be buggy on older hardware.

Are your drivers also up to date? Do you have another PSU to test out?

4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Yeah, drivers are up to date, I use both Windows Update and Snappy Driver Installer Origin. I already tried sfc /scannow, several times, but does not detect any O.S corruption. As for why 1809, don't really know, lots of people were saying it was stable and good for gaming so I decided to give it a shot.

Do you recommend 1903 or 1909 to me? Also I am not sure if I should update or do clean install, since updating from one version to another gave me some issues in the past.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Honestly I couldn't recommend an OS version as I am using completely different hardware so things that work for me might not work for you. I generally just update when the new versions get released and don't really see any problems that I know of or can see.

Have you tried a stress test? OCCT PSU test could be a good try to make sure everything stable as you say its only whilst gaming so when the whole system is being stressed.

Try resetting BIOS as well and then just set XMP, fan profiles, and leave everything else on stock to see if maybe you changed a setting by mistake. Also updating the BIOS might be a good option if available.

EDIT:

Also don't use Snappy Driver Installer that program can give you the wrong driver, a friend used that program and it kept install Quadro drivers and recently studio drivers instead of Game Ready ones, it also messed up his audio and installed a bunch of driver crap that he doesn't even have hardware for.

I would just download the latest versions from the hardware manufacturers website as these have been tested to work with that hardware and cause less hassles. Or you can use driver-station website which has majority of the latest driver builds. The only driver installer program I've ever used my self was Driver Easy (used to be called something else) and it was ok but got pricey so I ditched it. Its pretty decent though and its endorsed by Wagnard.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  6. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    2080S
    Newer use software to install drivers.
    Period.
    Install what you need from manufacturers site, or chipset maker site.
    As for intel, instal chipset drivers first, then if needed storage, usb, Lan etc. Then graphic driver from Nvidia site.
    Mind u, w10 should have all drivers installed already, I would just check device manager if there is any ! for unknown/failed driver installation device, copy device ID from prosperities and find by Google proper driver. U should only have to install Nvidia driver TBH with your old hardware. Or sound card, if u have separate.
    8gb is rather low, AND in case ur HDD is dying, it can cause lags, stutter etc too. Check Smart for errors to be sure it is ok.

7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I carefully checked device manager and rolled back any drivers Snappy Driver Origin installed on my system; I went back to all "good" drivers Windows gave me, which are from 2014-2015, so that seems to be good, at least for now. Only time will tell if this could help me to some degree. The more drastic option is just to clean install, but if I can just rollback the drivers, I'll test this way for now.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  8. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I have 3 SSD's and one HDD, all programs report good conditions on them.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Just another idea for you, I see you have a 3GB 1060.... what setting are you playing your games at? 3GB VRAM is quite low and will quickly spill over into page file if filled up and even with an SSD if a game begins to use your pagefile this can cause huge stutter and loss of performance.

Double check your games and keep an eye on VRAM usage.

Smough likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    So what is your network card?

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    How can I tell? Because I have no idea how to find out about that.

12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Open Device manager, then find Network adapters, You should see something like "Intel xxxx Gigabit Network connections"

The xxxx there would be your model, You could also have other brands too but you get the idea.

Smough likes this.
  13. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Realtek PCIe GBe Family Controller I think.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Also you can launch elevated command prompt and execute:
    netsh lan show interfaces

16. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Hey. Well, I just decided to reinstall Windows just to see if my old install was compromised, but now, my network driver has brutal spikes when downloading anything or doing a speed test with the website I mentioned you. Windows gave me very recent drivers, including the last one from the Realtek website, but still no luck on my end.

17. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I executed the command and it told me this:

There is 1 interface in the system:

Name: Ethernet
    Description: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
    GUID: 2e69dbba-5e12-4d7e-8e25-50af06a8e1f7
    Physical address: D8-CB-8A-50-BB-ED
    Status: Connected. The network does not support authentication.

(I had to enable the service so the cmd command you mentioned could work)

By the way, here is the spike when I run a network test or download anything: (It can go even higher, it's random)

https://imgur.com/a/r5oilH9

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    @Smough

Not impressive spike!

As for drivers, MS can give you a generic drivers without some features (or means to control them). So better download drivers from OEM site.
    And you have not reacted to "Interrupt Moderation" setting....

19. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I checked in Device Manager and I have the same Network driver that's on the Realtek website. I disabled "Interrupt Moderation" but seems I still get network spikes https://imgur.com/a/BZhdyBR

As you can see, I got even a bigger spike with another network test; this time even bigger. I am running out of ideas here...

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    @Smough

Can be a combination of several factors.