Having issues with sudden and severe FPS drops

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Anubis77, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Anubis77

Anubis77 Guest

GPU:
    2080 TI
    Hi All,

I am having an issue where during gaming my PC will random just drop FPS down from say 100 FPS to 20-30 or in some cases 1 FPS. Yes 1!

It will stay like that for 5-10 mins then reverts and everything is ok. On less demanding games it seems to be less severe such as PUBG but newer games like battlefield it will sometimes crash the game.

it also seems to happen between rounds. So round 1 might work ok but by the time the next game or round loads it is unplayable.

Last year i rebuilt my entire PC with the following specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Wifi
    GPU: Gigabyte AORUS RTX 2080ti
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x
    RAM: 4x 8gb Trident Z RGB 14CL 3200mhz
    Storage: m2 SSD and HDDs

However, i have had some issues since building. First it was just failure to boot if i had XMP profile enabled. It would work fine for a week then fail to boot a number of times and revert to default (this is when i only had 2x8gb sticks).

So then i started trying to get more stability by using the AMD Ryzen Calc for Ram to ensure all the timings were correct. Had a lot of issues with stability and couldn't get anything stable above stock of 2133mhz.

I did also fiddle with the CPU OC for a while and was running at around 4ghz with no issues. However, since having the earlier mentioned issue, i have returned everything to stock.

I approached Gigabyte support to see if it was a problem with the mobo as there have been other issues with the recently like not being able to access the BIOS but that also seems to have gone away now.

Any one else seen anything like this and have an ideas?

2. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Try running your memory at like 2666MHz or so, just to rule out any memory concerns. I had a memory overclock which worked perfectly until one day, Warframe started stuttering constantly and Quake Champions crashing all the time - turned out to be memory related. Everything else worked perfectly, just games gave me issues. Went back to modest memory settings and haven't had an issue since. I highly recommend this because you're using 4 memory dimms!
    I also have a 2700X btw :)

3. basco

basco Guest

GPU:
    560tfII
    what power supply do ya have?
    and what temps do ya have on cpu +gpu during gaming?
    which games are we talking about ?
    where are the games - on ssd or hdd?
    latest bios on your giga mainboard?

4. Anubis77

Anubis77 Guest

GPU:
    2080 TI
    I have gone back to default which is normally 2133 but task manager says it is at 1866 and it is still happening :(

5. Anubis77

Anubis77 Guest

GPU:
    2080 TI
    PSU: Corsair HX1000i
    Temps: I havent checked what they are when the frame rate drop occurs. But currently after some light gaming for 10 mins, are GPU 77c Max and CPU - 61c
    Games: Mainly PUBG and Battlefield V> Was playing subnautica for a while as well and similar but less severe issues
    Storage: I store online games on SSD and single player on HDD. So PUBG and BFV both on SSD.
    BIOS: Yep latest version (F8)

6. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Is your entire PC slow (e.g. alt-tabbing) when the frame drop occurs or is it only the game that becomes unbearable?

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Would be interesting to see the clocks and temps of all CPU cores as well as the GPU when this happens. Install MSI Afterburner, enable the in-game OSD, and enable OSD monitoring for GPU clock, temp and power draw. Do the same for every CPU core. Run a game where this happens and have the OSD active.

8. Anubis77

Anubis77 Guest

GPU:
    2080 TI
    The whole PC. It will even sometimes do it will using chrome and the entire pc is slow and the mouse is laggy as hell.

9. Anubis77

Anubis77 Guest

GPU:
    2080 TI
    I am traveling this weekend so won’t have a chance to check but when I am back in a few days I’ll record the results and let you know. Thanks so far guys.

10. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Iv found my gigabyte board to be picky with bios settings and also with bios version, try roll back to the previous bios version and play with settings. Also 4x sticks= never a good idea, 2x is best. Get some new memory maybe as a last resort, gigabyte aorus memory would work flawlessly.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, for memory on Ryzen, your most important part is resistivity/impedance settings. You are running 4 memory sticks. That makes things much more complicated.
    SoC voltage is important too. Same as Memory voltage. Too little or too much is bad.

You should be running mem tests and count number of errors per time interval to find out optimal values in unstable situation. Then calculate optimal values for stable situation.
    But Agesa 1.0.0.6 which you have now made things much more stable. I got easily my 4 sticks from 3.2 to 3.4GHz.

As for your CPU OC at around 4GHz. That's not really OC, that's out of the box behavior. 2700X is stock 3.7GHz chip. Once XFR2 is enabled, it turns to 4.3GHz max CPU with ability to go to 4GHz on all cores under full load as long as TDP or temperature limit is not breached.
    Enabling PBO2 on top of that will increase achievable clock by some 25~50MHz in all situations.

For CPU OC, just undervolt CPU through Voltage offset and enable those 2 features. That's best this chip can do without removing basic clock UP/DOWN functionality.
    OC means setting manual multiplier/fsb and voltage. There 2700X does easily 4.2GHz on all cores, but it comes at price of not having higher single core boost and loss of ability to decrease clock on idle. (Power efficiency lost.)

Alteration through power states is not something I would recommend as fine tuning each power state is PITA and may result in system which is unable to boot. Therefore a lot of experimentation and BIOS resets.
    = = = =

Now, interesting part is that you are talking about slowdowns and game crashes. When Ryzen does not have enough voltage, it does not slow down, if freezes whole system. Image stays way it was till you press reset.
    Unstable memory does not lead to slow downs, it can achieve crashes, but then it achieves BSODs at similar rate.
    Overheating VRMs on MB can lead to slow downs, but should not cause crashes as written above. (moment CPU does not get proper voltage = Freeze)
    But GPU can cause both. Many GPU issues are recoverable and do not lead to system crash. If GPU is in trouble and Driver does reset, you are in for quite some temporary freeze.
    I would check its temperature, clock stability when gaming and so on.

Now question, do you have corrupted HDD/SSDs? It can be indication of unstable bus clock. (Maybe you increased BCLK above 100 and some parts of system are not able to keep up.)

INSTG8R likes this.
  12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10#support-dl-bios

13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
  14. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    then it would be recommended to clear cmos settings and go default...to check

15. Anubis77

Anubis77 Guest

GPU:
    2080 TI
    Hi everyone, sorry for the delayed responses on this. I havent had much of a chance to tinker with the computer lately to try and get this back up and running.

For now, i am leaving both the CPU and RAM and default values. 3.7hgz CPU and no XMP profile so 2100mhz for the RAM. Until i have more time to play around more.

I was still having sudden drops until recently. However, it does seem to have disappeared after i mounted the GPU back horizontally. It was mounted vertically and i can only assume that the cable was causing some instability.

I havent had much of a chance to test it will all games but the 10 mins i jumped into BFV worked well. About 70-90 FPS on max settings. PUBG works well with no issues, but that is a less intensive game.

Although, now onto the next issue. I downloaded the early release of Anthem on the weekend and was hoping to give it a go. However, my frame rates are hitting a max of 30 and a low of 15 which makes the game basically unplayable in some cases. i read some other reviews online and i can see other people having a few issues but most people with a 2080ti are getting around 60-80FPS.

When i check the performance on Afterburner it says only 50% of the GPU is being used and the core clock just sits at 400mhz. This doesn't seem to be the case with other games so i can only assume it is because it is an early release and there is some compatibility issues?

16. Anubis77

Anubis77 Guest

GPU:
    2080 TI
    So after looking more online. Seems that the issue is caused by the acronis active protection on my PC. As soon as i turned it off, the GPU usage and core clock immediately jumped up and it went to 80 FPS.

For those interested - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Anthem-PC-low-FPS-and-GPU-usage/m-p/7383991#M3330

Such a small thing. I will keep testing the overall performance on default settings to ensure i dont suffer the same drops, then will start to bring the ram and CPU speeds back up.

Thanks for the help guys