Having both PS/2 and USB keyboards connected

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vonSternberg, Sep 12, 2017.

1. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Active Member

GPU:
    ECS GT430
    Hello, Gurus! Finally made an account here after some months lurking.

I didn't really want to open a whole new thread for this but google yields no results for my question:
    I'm planning on building a new rig, and I saw how tricky it is to install Windows 7 in the latest generation of CPUs, the USB keyboard won't work, and then you'll need a PS/2 keyboard. Thing is my old PS/2 keyboard has all the F# keys busted, so I'm planning on connecting both the PS/2 and the current USB keyboard so I can at least us the F# keys to get into the BIOS if needed.

Is this possible? Will there be any conflicts?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GT 540M
    Never had any issues myself installing windows 7 with a USB keyboard.

Have you tried it first?

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC+
    USB keyboard will work just fine but make sure you have "USB Legacy Support" or similar enabled in BIOS. This allows BIOS to "boot" your keyboard so it works until Win 7 is installed and able to drive USB (USB driver installed).

There shouldn't be any issues using both USB and PS/2 keyboards but not many new mobos have PS/2 connectors anymore. If any.

PS: welcome!

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz silent
    I've done similar when a strange bios update suddenly didnt let a USB keyboard get in the bios setup.
    It works great in OS or bios.
    You can have keyboard battles with your girlfriend although 2 mice is a lot crazier :)

I keep a backup of a fresh OS install so if I ever need a new Windows install, its quicker to do and doesnt have problems like you are finding.

vonSternberg likes this.

5. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Active Member

GPU:
    ECS GT430
    Haven't tried it yet, I have to save some money to buy everything I need before that. By the way, did you install Windows 7 on one of the newer generation of CPUs? From what I read the USB keyboard stops working as soon as Win7 is booted, something wrong with drivers iirc.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Never built my own PC, this will be the first time. And thank you! :)

:D:D
    I'll give that option a try as well, thanks mate!