haven't had a pc in 3 years, which windows?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Miniouse, Apr 29, 2017.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Probably 8.1 w/ALL updates, and make sure you deactivate win 10 updates.

One time, it did that to me, I got a blue screen very unexpectedly saying now updating win 10, I was like WTF is this, I thought I deactivated all win 10 updates and its still updating, so I would be careful of this, After I got that b.s. I went back to win 10 like I was doing before and never looked back.

And I used 3rd party programs to help further deactivate win 10 updates and still was updating.

Even after a restart, after about 30 seconds or so, goes to the blue screen of update.

There was another way, to get into the registry, but I couldn't get it in time, because of the 30+ seconds downtime.

I am using now rs2: 15063 w/update.

And this is off topic, if your planning to keep the win 7,etc style, make sure you use a program called startisback, latest version, DO NOT USE classicshell, since it was last updated back in june of 2016, it worked for awhile, then getting keyboard,etc issues, after I uninstalled it and went back to startisback, no issues.

Personally if I were you, I would go with win 10, but that would be just me, :).

Overall stability, as of now, perhaps win 8.1, but that blue screen updating thingy, turned my head back to win 10 and never went back and don't plan on it either., and many people were highly upset do to this fact that it updated there win 8.1 rig to win 10 without their consent and guess what??? All their data was gone, they were absolutely pissed off, many many people that I was aware of.

To top it all off, my old system that my dad is running on, is using win 8.1 9600rtm w/all updates, and strangely enough, it has not given him that win 10 update thingy, I am extremely surprised that is has not act up yet, even now it has not.

Kind like a gamble, personally I would go with 10 x64 build, so there wont be any problems with losing data over that nonsense, I would be very weary of this situation if I were you.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    I prefer W10, but I use LTSB. I would not even consider using Home or Pro.

I do not consider myself to be a paid up member of the tin hat brigade but I am someone who feels concern about all of the data collected on us.

If adverts, data about what you do and what you have on your pc and having stuff running that you are not allowed to turn off doesn't bother you, then W10 is fine. Most people don't care about it anyway.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    What is with the issues with advertising? Either I am one of the smartest on here, have a unique special edition of 10, or actually read the screens during installation, took the time in gpedit, and flicking the toggle switches in settings. Cortona is off does not even pipe up. That was done upon installation and then further backed up by gpedit. And not a single add from anyone not even MS. And no, not a single setting has been reset from an update. Only thing that happens is that IE will get unpinned from the task bar. Plus I have not taken MS' word on whether a setting has no effect if another setting is set in such a manor. The setting is set to my liking regardless and the settings in gpedit for users back up the settings for the machine.

Plus, do people forget that one does not need to sign in with a Microsoft Account? Only time I am signed in with such is when playing a game from the store; then again am only signed in with that one app/program and then promptly sign out when done.

If MS is so interested in what I am doing every waking moment of the day, they are far behind the master...Google. Feeding trolls sometimes is unavoidable but now am done.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Same, set it up correctly from the start, not seen a single ad either

Local account sign in too

5. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Win 7 is about 1.6GB, Win 10 is 1.1GB

6. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    This shouldn't even be a discussion. Windows 7 has 3 years left of support. Your only choice for a new PC is Windows 10 if you want full support and updates.

7. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    8.1 is 6 years.

8. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    1. There's no gpedit in Home version.
    2. You never know what they'll come up with in 1709... They might as well disable gpedit for anything below Enterprise. With 8.1 I'm fairly sure they won't mess up too much until 2023. And if they will, I'll simply uninstall the update.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Hence why I never use a home edition. Win10 Pro here. Before that 8.1 Pro, before that VISTA Ultimate, Before That XP Pro.

10. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

Yuppers, I always flip the switches before going into windows for the first time, no matter what I use or test, switch those bad boys off, lol.

Also I use 3rd party programs like adblock plus,etc., for browsers, works great.

And to top it off, also with:

O&O Shutup 10.
    W10 privacy.
    DWS(Lite Edition).
    Microsoft Autoruns(Turn off extra Telemetry stuff)
    and last but not least (Spybot beacon).

Last edited: May 2, 2017

11. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    Actually, what I should've written at the very beginning - it's you, your hardware and your software. Just triple boot:
    a/ Windows 8.1 90-days free trial:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-8-1-enterprise
    b/ Windows 10 90-days free trial:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise
    c/ there's no W7 Trial available anymore, you can borrow a disc from a friend (or do anything else I won't mention here)

Install all 3 of them and give them a try for a week - that's what I did. As a result I picked my favourite system and so can you. This week is a worthwile investment.

12. Miniouse

Miniouse Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 6950 xfx
    Mention it!

13. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    *illegal* ;)

14. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I have the Home Edition so no gpedit. I also always use my Microsoft account. Guess what--no ads. I did not enable Cortana and I turned off most of the reporting options. I have never seen ads on the lock screen but then my Windows is always set to do auto-login so the lock screen gets skipped at boot. There is no login password other than the one for my Microsoft account.

I have also never seen any Edge ads other than what you get the first time you open Internet Explorer (my default browser). I wouldn't consider that an ad. I had never even heard of the Edge shopping assistant so obviously I never saw any ads for that. Again however, I wouldn't consider that an ad even if I had seen it. It's just another option. So is One Drive which I do not allow to run automatically. Ads come from other companies selling products and I have never seen any of those embedded in the OS. Anything about Microsoft products that are bundled with the OS is not an ad. It's an option.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's easy enough, and not 'illegal' lol... to obtain a Windows 7 image which will still give you 30 days grace period before requiring to be activated

[​IMG]

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php

16. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    It's doable, but I'm not sure it's legal :). Anyway, that is the solution you might easily use :). Still, even installing W7 on a new build might be a challenge. Probably mainboard manufacturer will have instructions how to do it on their site.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    If you keep the system for 3 years, you have to consider Windows 7 in 3 years. Windows 10 will continue to evolve, Windows 7 will stay as is. Microsoft has probably been one of the best successful companies ever to support such old software, especially considering they then offered Windows 10 for free.

18. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    +1, windows 10 all the way....pointless going backwards

19. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    That is a good thing and a bad thing - there was nothing really special about the "feature updates" in W10 to go through sometimes painful process of updating (yes, I know many of you didn't have any issues, but there is also lot of stories about not so successful updates), not mentioning the need to keep up with all the changes in interface.

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    There's really not much in it. If we remove the technical details, then, W10 offers a few more games and some apps like you'd get on your phone/tablet, so, if you want more gaming options then definately go for W10.

I have W7 on my main and W10 on my laptop. I don't have a problem with either, but, my young son learns only W10.