haven't had a pc in 3 years, which windows?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Miniouse, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Lock screen is a toggle switch, although I never saw any ads on it myself

Don't use Edge, but Edge shopping assist sounds like it's by MS anyway?

Office again MS own product

And Onedrive is MS own product too

That said, I've not seen any of the above other than Get Office

I know of a guy on MDL who spent all day trolling the 10 forums and was recently banned, now this troll appears here... coincidence? lol

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Amazing. I've seen office 365 ads, onedrive premium, and try edge if chrome is the default. I've not seen lock screen ads probably because they don't support my region or whatever.

It's pretty pushy if you don't know how to get rid of them. I disable all that on PC's I maintain but people shouldn't have to go through all that. lock screen ads currently show up only on spotlight powered lock screens afaik but I don't trust MS conveniently slipping further down the slope :p Win10 isn't free for most people, it's part of the laptop's purchase price and of course their billion devices mark isn't going to be reached anytime soon so not as many people took it for free either as they wanted.

Apple doesn't push icloud or iwork on my iphones and ipad. The only notification I've ever seen for it is when the free storage is close to being exhausted and a suggestion to clear up data or subscribe to a data plan. I've never seen an ad by google on my mom's android phone either.

No idea about his other activities :infinity:

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  3. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You know my views on MS's direction with 10, not impressed either, but constantly having to read the mumblings of one person trying to bad mouth something over and over every single opportunity gets old quick, no matter what the subject

IMO it's just trolling and has no place on the forum, constructive criticism after having actually used the product is fine, but admitted by themselves, they don't even have a PC running 10, just a phone with WP10 and a tablet lol

4. Miniouse

Miniouse Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 6950 xfx
    Hey guys, what about windows 10's built in firewall? Ive never used any Windows firewalls, I'd usually use AVG, any thoughts guys? And about windows 10 automatically downloading all updates, is there a way you can "block" windows update from accessing the Internet via a firewall rule?

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I've been using windows firewall for over a decade now without issues. I used zonealarm and commodo in the past.

The only way to block updates is by disabling the service. Are you on the creator's update (version 1703 build 15063)? It has the options to delay updates in the advanced page in windows update settings.

6. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    The Windows firewall is all you really need. especially if you are behind a NAT router which has it's own firewall.

7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 ti 2075/7800
    My win7 install is 29GB. I haven't reinstalled it since 2012. I think your mom is the source of the mess, not win7.

8. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    All Microsoft products ^^

Considering this is Microsoft Windows... not exactly surprising lol

Show me real ads from 3rd party

10. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    :D Glad somebody got it :).

11. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    Tomb Raider on the lock screen was the one. No matter if it's MS's or not - it's still an ad... Google places their advertising all over the Web, but they don't touch the OS itself.
    As for me, whole bing.com site might be covered with ads - I wouldn't care less :).

12. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    I had been running Windows 10 for a few months altogether, last being 3-4 days with 15002. I'd say it's enough of the basis to make conclusions.

13. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    Fully agree with you. Although the lack of apps can be a real pain sometimes.

14. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So a few months with a pre-release unfinished beta version of 10 is enough to make your decision?

Umm.. OK

Anyway, stupid conversation is now over

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I actually love windows 10. IMO its better then previous windows versions.
    Some people don't like it, but every individual has a different view on things no matter what subject, so that is quite normal.

I actually would love to see windows 10 evolve even more. i love the android Samsung opening up folders animation. would love to see that in windows 10 start menu :D
    But windows development has never been this progressive in all the time it existed which is great.

as i type i am running this on a i7-920 at 2.8Ghz and its still blazing fast. No way i had this same experience with Windows 7 (which was the OS before the upgrade took place).

16. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    Of course it is - I'm not saying Windows 10 is unstable, that I had tons of BSODs with it or that it has bad performance. No, from that perspective it's OK.
    I just don't like the touch-oriented interface at all, don't like new Settings compared to Control Panel (also removing shortcuts to CP, like "Screen resolution" under Desktop right-click), have problems with UWP apps:
    a/ Movies & TV does not stream subtitles wirelessly to TV
    b/ Calculator opens in new instance after typing Win+"calc" instead of switching to the already open one (contrary to the Win32 version in 8.1)
    c/ Mail does not have horizontal pane view and everything is too big about it (fonts, unused space) - as a result, much worse experience than Thunderbird
    I also don't like the idea of forced updates and forced feature updates every 6 months.

I could go and go on with the list. Nothing really terrible, just many small flaws summing up to an annoying experience I prefer to avoid. And that did not change much until the very beginning if not went worse, like Start menu from 1511 to 1607.
    I still hope that it will be a good system someday - but I'll leave beta testing for you :).

That's debatable - tabs in File Explorer have been on top of Feedback Hub since pre-RTM. And they're supposed to appear in version 1709 - that's like 2.5 years that will take :).

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    That doesnt mean they are not progressive. We never had this Insider program in previous windows. I feel its a step in the right direction.
    Big corporations go slow with changes, something to keep in mind. :)

18. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    It would be great IF they didn't simultaneously fire they whole QC team. Then we wouldn't have such problems with Creators Update:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3192...ors-update-on-your-own-microsoft-advises.html

Even the biggest group of Insiders won't replace rigorous testing by professionals.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, firing the QC people was a bad move. Must've looked good on their quarterly report with lower salaries. Totally worth it.

I would go further and say Home edition (and current branch) users are also unpaid testers and the most reliable versions of windows 10 are the current branch for business builds.

20. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB