haven't had a pc in 3 years, which windows?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Miniouse, Apr 29, 2017.

1. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    That's a beautiful theory you're giving, but I've yet to see any proofs or results. Theory behind Game Mode and DX12 is albo beautiful, but the results are at least mixed.
    Nobody will argue HDDs are faster than SSDs, just one glance and benchmarks will show you the difference.

2. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    I wrote clearly "Windows we all know". There will be some sort of Windows. But as a service - and what that means in 3 years, nobody knows.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    For a new PC, windows 10 is your only option because they're blocking updates on kabylake and ryzen for windows 8.1 and 7.

Use your win7 key if you still have it and get a free win10 license. The free upgrades are still active, just not actively promoted.

I would also suggest using a slightly older build of windows 10 as updates are of poor quality after release of new builds.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Windows 7 (or 8.1) hands down unless you have a desperate need for something thats Windows 10 specific.

Processor restrictions have already been countered.
    You get to to choose which updates and when to install, and can refuse any you dont like. Not possible on 10.
    That means you can avoid the telemetry updates that are core to windows 10 some of which have been ported to windows 7 and 8.1.
    You wont have to put up with the flat look explorer.
    You wont have to put up with Microsoft breaking your settings and configuration each time a major update installs.

DX12 is only really useful for people with slower CPUs.
    Its also not used by much and brings no quality improvements.
    You will want to play Tomb Raider with DX11 because the VXAO option is not available with DX12. In this case DX12 is lower quality.

Thats for starters.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Forget that crap added in the Creators Update. I'm talking about one of the BEST features of Windows 10 that was new on release; something all the blind haters look right past because all they see is a newly skinned Windows.

6. Miniouse

Miniouse Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 6950 xfx
    Legit? Upgrade from 7 to 10 for free? i never would've imagined that, now I think I'm leaning towards 10 now.

^^^ I don't think I've heard much about dx12 on a negative term, but as of windows updates and not being able to select individual updates to install; that'd piss me off.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yep, that's what I was saying about having a 7 key earlier, the free upgrade (Legit) is still active

8. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    OK, I even read 3 articles about it. It might be a cool feature. Still burdened by I don't know how many bad things about W10.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The not being able to select individual updates is about the only downside. The whole telemetry issue can be tamed with gpedit if desired. The learning curve with 10 will be where they moved some settings to. The control panel is still there but not accessed in the traditional way. IE is still there just need to pin it to the taskbar like control panel. The whole update issue is that once you tell it to check for updates, you are getting the updates downloaded and installed. If you put off telling the system to check for updates, they will automatically download and install at some set point in the future. All that can be done is to defer them. Aside from that it is definitely a setup from previous releases.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This needs clarifying.
    Can you post all the edits required to shut everything off?
    Can you guarantee that Microsoft wont reverse them when you arent looking?

It has been reported that even windows 10 enterprise with telemetry tamed still tries to make contact with unwarranted IPs.

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Yes to the 2nd ridiculous question.

What are you doing that you need to hide? Its all about advertising and making money anyways (not that I am advocating it, its just that I dont think you need to worry, ...if you dont need to worry. THINK Windows is trying to compete with Android, a FREE operating system that makes its money the way MS is trying to with Windows)

Outside of some VERY obvious things (way too nsfl to post), what do you think they are trying to do? Is it really a question of them spying on you for whatever reason, or you trying to hide something? I do not understand.

12. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    Windows 10 Pro costs 199 USD and is infested with ads - Android is free and has NO ads. Won't even mention Ubuntu or openSUSE. Go figure.

13. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yes... Android has no ads....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    Would you kindly post a screenshot with an ad in Android?

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    :banana:

16. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    I stuck with Windows 7 for a long time with Linux on dual boot. When I upgraded to a Kaby Lake CPU ran into a few problems with Windows 7 so just decided to scrap it all together.

Now I have Manjaro Linux as my main with KDE plasma desktop (really nice desktop with lots of customisation possible). For games I have a Windows 10 VM (QEMU/KVM) that I run through Linux for playing the odd game. Performs really well (I passthrough my GTX 680 to the VM so it's not that far off native speed) and as I only use it for playing games don't have to worry about all the privacy concerns as it has no access to the rest of my system - and never will have. :)

Was playing Resident Evil VII last night, runs great and when finished it's just like shutting a program down then back to the Linux desktop. So something to consider, it takes a bit of setting up but once it's done you're golden.

17. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Would you kindly post a screenshot of where Windows 10 is "Infested" with ads? The OS, not the apps, bundled or otherwise

Your constant Windows 10 trolling is getting old, and my iggy list is screaming out for another member

18. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I too would like to see these ads that Win10 is supposedly "infested with". I have never seen a single one.

As far as Android goes, can you buy a device without it and then download it from somewhere? I have never seen anything that says you can. As far as I know, Android only comes pre-installed so who knows if you are paying for it or not? Android is also not viable on a desktop system so shouldn't even be a part of this discussion.

Even on mobile, I have 3 mobile devices. One runs full Windows 10, one has Windows 10 Mobile, and one has Android. Guess which one gets used the least. It's the Nexus 7 with Android. My phone uses Win 10 Mobile and I greatly prefer it to Android. I can't comment on iOS since I have a policy of never buying anything made by Apple.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Only ads I'm currently aware of are the lock screen ads, the Edge related stuff, pushing Edge's shopping assistant, get office, and one drive ads in Explorer. Slippery slope stuff as far as I'm concerned. Let's see how it goes. It can still be easily turned off.

20. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I've never seen any of those.