Have you encountered issues with recent nvidia drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by moab600, Oct 9, 2015.

?

Have you encountered issues with recent nvidia drivers?

Poll closed Nov 8, 2015.
  1. Yes and it effects my gaming

75 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. I experienced some bugs but nothing game breaking.

40 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Nah, all good :D

99 vote(s)
    45.6%
  4. A driver update? better live in a stone age!

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    bro....

you hacked the matrix....

2. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    isn't that a quake 3 engine game?

Have you tried messing with openGL extension limiting?

edit: it's goldsrc engine so that would mean the original counterstrike, and half-life 1 should be broken too, which I doubt.

Tried deleting the nighfire profile with inspector and adding the executable to the half-life 1 profile?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  3. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
  4. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Does black screening for 7+ seconds when tabbing out of a fullscreen game count as affecting my gaming?

Because with the new hotfix driver, that happens.

With the prior driver, Battlefront black screened for 20 seconds on fullscreen loss, causing me to be dropped from games, not to mention hung when starting up badly.

I also TDR'd for the first time in months with the new hotfix driver.

Elite: Dangerous was stuttering horribly with the 358.50/58 drivers.

I was stuttering badly, HORRIBLY, in ARK when playing it 2 weeks ago, though I don't know if that was the unoptimized game, SLI or drivers. (Most likely the game as it stalls the GPU and pulls a bunch of CPU threads.)

Fermi+ not supporting negative LOD bias ruined the ability to use SGSSAA due to the horrid blurring.

I know there were times where certain games broke entirely with certain drivers, but I can't remember what they were and it hasn't happened for a while. (aka, this is rare)

Remember a few driver versions a year or so ago where if you used the built-in framerate limiter it would break Vsync then causing stuttering?

So, I've had game breaking issues in the past (rarely) and extreme annoyance and IQ issues, but the drivers have been quite worse quality as of late, that's for sure. I can only wonder what it's like for people with Gsync monitors and Windows 10..

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015

5. samusprime89

samusprime89 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    thats actually an issue with the game, i have the same issue on my gtx 970, ruins the entire experience for me.

6. Zoson

Zoson Active Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 2080
    crash on waking monitors from sleep(pc is not in sleep mode) can be worked around by changing performance mode to prefer maximum from adaptive.

Edit: nevermind it still crashes sometimes. back to 355.84.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  7. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Latest Geforce Experience is a disaster!

The beta 2.7 that adds 4K streaming and so on...

I'm trying to watch a video and bam...a sidepanel item pops up telling me to press ALT+Z to share. Video render time goes from 5ms to 140ms and is unwatchable. Mouse and other inputs begin to lag. I shout various profanities and wish the engineers who designed it a quick demise. After having to ALT+TAB and end the process.

Disabled Sharing until it's fixed.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  8. otimus

otimus Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I haven't had a problem in years. Last time I ever had a problem was way back when on a 7900GT related to video overlay colors and aspect ratio on-gpu scaling. (both common errors waaaaaaay back then.) Since 2009 or so (far back as I can recall vividly, GPU driver wise), I've not had a single problem since.

9. crisrodrigues

crisrodrigues Member

GPU:
    3x GTX 980 SLI
    With SLI enabled, Civilization V gets a bit of light corruption on leader screen (on both 358.59 and 358.50 WHQL this happens here)

10. norton

norton Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    the latest 358.XX branch gives me some little hangs or stutter in GTA V so i returned back to 356.04 it the best for me now until nvidia fix this mess (using DDU before installing any new driver)

11. includao

includao Member

GPU:
    970 GTX
    I think nvidia is dropping the ball in the recent driver releases. Too many disappointments recently.

12. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus Xtreme 1080Ti
    Weird thing, fresh install with 358.50 in Windows 10 everything was working great.

Then I had an issue with Risen 2 where custom keybindings were invisible, this has happened before and is fixed by reinstalling a driver.

Used the latest DDU and reinstalled 358.50 which allowed the keybindings to be entered and displayed, however I then noticed that all my installed games had hitching.

Installed 358.50 AGAIN over the top with the Nvidia installer and now everything is playing super smooth. Weird.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I don't see anything changing from how it was since 2002 or something. Nice of you to be concerned though.

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    yeah it was actually worse back then.

back in early 2000 I had nvidia crashing due to sound drivers.....:bang:

and at one point I couldnt use windows 98 and newer drivers. because they crash before the game even started.

people dont know the pain we had to put up with back then.

I actually went through this again recently with a retro machine. I went through 10 drivers before I found one that worked right in every game.

15. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I don´t remember having drivers this poor since the FX5XX days, let´s hope the dx12 driver is worth all the troubles we are getting today.

16. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    i'm seeing talk of issues, but outside of the battlefield 2 bad company, which several users posted actual proof of, the rest seems to be just anecdotal evidence.

If you want something to be considered a driver issue, you need to post evidence, and ways to reproduce the issue, and if other people come in with exact same issue in the same scenario, that's called an actual bug.

for example, I recently found an issue with crysis 1 SGSSAA flag on win10, posted screenshots of the issue, and another user confirmed the same issue with the same OS and drivers, but a different GPU. that's a confirmed driver issue.

When people say, gta 5 crashes, or i'm getting stuttering. that to me isn't a driver issue until there's actual data to back it up and encountered in the same fashion by other people.

17. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Actually the problems I have been seeing are pretty well documented and so I´ve provided links and steps to Blaire from nvidia... thanks for the info anyway.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I don't see how drivers which work without any issues are "poor", sorry.

19. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I don´t see why because you can´t notice issues in the games you play in your specific configuration should mean there are not issues at all, as far as I´m concerned you could have the bugs under your nose and still think that´s normal game stuff lol.

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Sure and my configuration is completely unique thus I'm the only one who has no issues.

Look at the poll. 44% have no issues at all and 19% have some issues which don't affect the gameplay. That's 63% of users without issues even if we don't check if some of these who "have serious issues" are actually running Radeons and should be discarded.

So it's actually the other way around: the fact that you have some driver issues doesn't mean that drivers are getting worse. If anything that means that it's likely not a driver issue as you're actually in the minority with it. Most of so called "driver issues" are actually something completely unrelated to both drivers and Nvidia and are caused by faulty OS, applications and/or other h/w. It's much easier to just blame the driver as this is something which is updated regularly than to search for the actual cause of problems.